1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHY DON'T SOME HUNTERS SHOOT IN COMPETITION??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I am a trapshooter, also shoot some 12 gauge skeet during the winter months. some of the best people i know are hunters, but some choose not to shoot at gun clubs, either practice shooting, or ata trap, registered skeet, sporting clays, etc. is it the cost? if so, this is understandable. can you imagine how difficult it would be for the anti gunners, if we had most of the hunters accross this nation in the shooting sports? strength in numbers. in milwaukee, we lost one of the better gun clubs i ever attended, "THE MILWAUKEE GUN CLUB" on the shores of lake michigan. when a few people in power, don't like shooting or guns, they got rid of the club. it now has weeds standing where this great gun club once stood. i went to the Cudahy gun club, also over looking lake Michigan. they have porta potties as bathrooms. there is a public golf course placed right up next to the gun club, so i decided to use their bathroom facilities. i am a milwaukee county resident, i also golf. when i was leaving the golf course bathroom, 3 elderly ladies were sitting at a table, looking stern at me. i had on my shooting vest, i said good morning ladies, one said "you people should not be using our bathroom facilities" i said why not? we dont want your kind here. make a long story short, i offered to buy them lunch at the gun club and was turned down. if we had the number of shooters the golf community has, no one would even try to bother us in the shooting sports. so i ask again, WHY DONT SOME HUNTERS SHOOT AT GUN CLUBS, AS WELL AS SHOOT COMPETITVE shooting? TO ME IT SEEMS TO BE A NATURAL FIT.
    STEVE BALISTRERI

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

Wouldn't that question be better addressed to the hunters you know?

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Steve I know more people that hunt than shoot regularly at clubs. The circle im in there is about 25 hunters, 2 belong to my club 4 to others. THATS 6/25. Piss poor numbers. Now im not sure if this is true, read some where there is 56million registered gun owners in USA? thats close to half the population. There are only 4 million NRA members. The hunters I talk to more often just claim they have no need for a gun club"only shoot when i hunt". Also the reverse can be said for trap/skeet/sporters that do not hunt. The number of trap shooters I know, most do not hunt. The sporters are mostly hunters? I do not shoot skeet , I have no input. Even our club.....when new members are enrolled we If i see one of them at the club in the future im shocked. We have 1200 members yet I see the same 75 100 people all the time ? We need to come together and for the national gun owners militia

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Senior.....I think "most" hunters are not really the types that get all caught up in statistics and averages,etc.So, therefore, competition shooting doesn't prove anything for them. As for the sweet little old ladies you encountered, they have been programed[by their husbands or in some other way].....they are the typical self-centered,snobbest, bitches they think the people at the golf club want them to be........just another example of our screwed up society![Oh yeah....I almost forgot to give some credit for all this mess to their churches]!

5. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Different strokes for different folks. I enjoy shooting both trap and skeet, but if I could hunt as much as I'd like, I'd never shoot clay targets.

6. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I can hear duck loads going off in the bay as I write this.Its opening day here. A great sound to me but not to the recent arrivals around here. My son is most likely out there with his ageing Lab that has been with him longer than his wife and children. My Dad, his grandfather, loved bamboo flyrods, Springer Spaniels, and L.C. Smith small bores all his life but never shot a round of skeet or trap. He was always an NRA member though. As strange a family as we are Steve, it seems are greatest memories come from moments hunting with each other, our dogs, and friends.

7. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

My wife took our children to church on time many years ago. The minister had the awdasity to stand in front of the congragation and say that Rich. had to cross the fields and streams in order to get to church and yes he got detained there. Let me tell you I was irate. I made an appointment to speak with the Reverand and of course I took my Bible with me and presented him some passages out of it pertaining to gathering of food for the family. I guess I made an impression on him and he took up Trap shooting with me on Saturdays. He found out we don't always kill game that there is a sport other that killing. Yes to the answer I was hunting that Sunday. Got home in time for the big Thanksgiving feast and had a nice beautiful Phsent, four quail and one duck. These were placed on the table along with the Turkey, which was taken two weeks before that. All had been smoked in the smoker for the dinner. I forgot I even smoked a five lb. Sml. Mouth Bass that turned out great. Everything was delicious! Down to the Puddings, Pies and Cakes.
    Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Because it is expensive.

If you do not have a large income and have a family to boot, you may be able to hunt and fish without spending a ot of money.

But ATA and NSSA are not for those folks.

Of course that depends on where you live.

HM

9. grammie

grammie TS Member

senior smoke:

Its because they feel they "don't fit in" with the trapshooting crowd!!! They "are not" the same animal!!!!

Its like heavy-metal playing caddie walking into the formal dining room and expecting to be "accepted"!!! It don't fit!!!

Besides------the "hunting" family finds it to be more pleasurable and "economically feasible" to just go out plinking!!!!

The "hunters" are the "average joe",,,and there is no way in hell your're going to get hunters to fork over at least 100 bucks every single weekend,,or even every month for the privledge of standing there shooting money out the end of a shotgun barrel at targets and prizes they don't have one chance in ten thousand to win "anything"------even in D class!!!

Its not a "natural fit" at all,,,get dyed in the wool goose hunters and duck hunters in the same room,,,,,and you'll see even there,,a distinct,and noticable differance!!! A dry-fly trout fisherman does not associate with "worm fisherman"!!!!! And thats the truth............

AKA Grammie............

10. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

I dunno' about that money thing, Grammie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent more money chasing wild SD pheasants last year than I did shooting targets, and I shot targets about 45 weekends.

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hello again:
    by some of your responses, it shocks me that some hunters might feel that they would not fit in at a gun club. by my way of thinking, if you own a gun, you automatically fit in. i have shot trap a long time, not that good, less than avergage shooter. i do get teased sometimes at the gun club because i use an old 870 tb. i have owned numerous shotguns, the only gun that i can shoot well on a good day is an 870. it hits the targets well. i asked vic reinders years ago, when you your in your prime, was there any shooter that you personally thought was tough to beat? he said a man by the name of Ned Lilly. i asked if he was the best in his opinion, he said one of the best, there were 2 iowa farmers, a father and son, they were also hunters, Arlo hoon, don't recall the son's name, they used rusted 1897"s, they kept them in the barn, year round. they could really shoot. no one probably now adays ever heard of them, but he said ned lilly and the father and son, was his toughest competition. vic beat and lost to some of the greats. vic said one last thing, the person he feared most at a gun club shoot, was not the man with a spanking new gun, with blueing and gold. it was a work worn model 12 or 31, or later on an 870. he said those work worn guns, usually meant the owner knew how to shoot them. i believe hunters at most clubs would fit in really good, plus we really need them. we need to stick together. in my book, if you own a gun, your a potential friend of mine. we have a lot in common.
    steve balistreri

12. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Hello out there, I am both. An avid waterfowl hunter and shooter. I have shot over 15,000 rounds this year, but I am not in the registered game yet. I shoot leagues and do most of my shooting at our small local club.

I think the hunting community has changed over the years. It is no longer the WWII vets and there vast numbers out in force hunting. They, for the most part, did it all...shoot, hunt, camp.
    The baby boomers fall in and out of interest on shooting and hunting around here. In fact I wish some of them would just drop out of our club. We need shooters not member non-shooters!

My generation (X) is the mystery to me! 95% of the people I hunt and shoot with are older than I am. I bring some into the sports (hunting and shooting) and get sick and tired of trying to drag them out after introducing them.
    I love it all and always have.
    It kind of disgusts me that some(most) in my generation can sit in a house all day playing video games when the best games are outdoors shooting and hunting.
    But whatever, there is nothing you can do even if it is put on a silver platter.

13. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

One thing I have noticed with trapshooters, for some reason they have an un-natural ability of driving new shooters away. Not sure what it is? They always have something to say. Whether it be about someone's gun or how they shoot. Drives me nuts at our club and I intentionally run interferance and make sure new shooters ignore that crap.

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Rip12. Yes there are some that can run the new away, I have only one club I have been to that gave me the WE dont want you feeling. The rest have been very nice. I to agree with you. I feel like Im a young kid again being around all the elders. Geeze my friends live 15min from me. I live across from a nice hidden gem bog pond BIG BASS catching frenzy. They complain they never go fishing anymore blah blah blah. THey just will not get off their lazy TV watching, video playing ass. I ad one friend say to me the other day. Hey when you getting play station 3 and going on line to play me? I said As soon as you buy a shot gun and start going shooting. I cant stand to be indoors to long. I need to do things. other than sit round watching tv. I love the technology the web ect ect. but come on get out there. If the kids in my neighborhood didnt wait for the bus in the AM you would never know there are kids here. Big green yards swimming pools, no people......

15. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I have spent too many days at gun clubs and shooting ranges. On the other side of the coin are millions of hunters will not invest that kind of time. they just do not have interest. We are now approaching the time of year when they come out of the woodwork. but you cannot convince these people to practice more, or to shoot for scores (register targets - trap, clays, or skeet). These are the same gun owners who don't bother to vote and will never write a letter to a legislator regarding guns, public access, or shooting range rights. In other words, I cannot understand them and I really think they suck.

16. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

As much as I regret having to say this, I feel that Grammie is partially correct. Most hunters feel they don't fit in because they don't know the games, don't have the equipment, and don't have the "look" (tailored vests, kangaroo gloves, Decot glasses, etc.)They are blown away by the fact that a great majority of shooters they encounter at the range bitch when they only break 24/25 and shoot guns that could pay for their kids tuition for a semester. They also receive little to no help or guidance from the hard core comp shooters. We have all seen them showing up in hunting vests, or not even having a shell carrier on their belt, shooting trap from a low gun position, always behind and under the target. Just maybe we are the ones to blame for low attendance because we are the ones that should be offering help to these guys. I also know most of us have somewhere in the safe an old 1100 or 870 that hasn't seen the light of day since Nixon was in office. Why not bring that with you to the range and when you see some guys in trouble, ask if they are open to a few pointers that might help them improve their score. Then offer to let them shoot that spare gun and let them have fun. To a lot of these guys and gals, the light goes on when the gun compensates some for the flight path and they break more targets. More targets=More fun. Guarantee they will be back.

17. smartass

smartass TS Member

Most of the shooters in any gun club have no interest in competition- they shoot purely for the fun of it. Hunters are no different. This isn't a revelation.

18. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

At the gunclub I belong to there are only two of us who shoot ATA registered targets. We have a nice turnout every Tuesday night to shoot trap, but most aren't interested in competing..........for a variety of reasons.

I don't have enough time, I'm not good enough, etc etc

Personally, I don't think most people have a competitive nature.

hubcap

19. wannaz

wannaz Member

I can tell you as a hunter, I don't, and probably never will shoot registered trap. I'm definately one of those who isn't good enough to shoot in competition. I do wish I were good enough though. Too many years of bad habits it seems, to break. I do like playing around at the local club for fun.
    I've been going to a local gun club this past league season, I sponsored a team of high school aged kids shooting in an adult league. We had a good time for the most part. There were a couple of guys there who made a comment or two, that made me feel like telling them to shove it, and not go back, but we made it thru the season. Funny how a few words, can really dampen the desire to go back. For the most part,I think most of the guys there were happy to see the kids shooting . The youngest was my son at 12 yrs. old. He will be shooting for the high school next year. I subbed with them a few times and 3 out of 4 would beat me every time, if not all of them. Like I said, I have no business shooting registered. lol A couple of the boys can break mid 40s pretty regularly.
    Back on topic, the club does not do much in the way of trying to get new shooters invovled that I can see. I really don't know most of the guys in the league, but I do know some of them are hunters, but most aren't shooting registered that I know of, just recreational shooters, practicing their shooting skills for hunting.

20. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

A good friend of my dad talked him into joining a skeet league, he had wanted to shoot a trap league, but my dads expereinces around Trap shooters, he had not shot at the club just being around a few of the known trap shooters (a lot of the trap shooters of that era where really good guys, but the one or two bad apples over whelmed the rest) was enough that he did not want any part of that! So they shot skeet, and did well for a few years until as

"wannaz said

There were a couple of guys there who made a comment or two, that made me feel like telling them to shove it, and not go back, but we made it thru the season. Funny how a few words, can really dampen the desire to go back."

Heck it was a click that thought it ran the club! the way they ran it was to do everything they could do make everyone else uncomfortable!

So they gave the club the perverbial finger, and never went back

Also before this

We had a neighbor that was, as a hunter was an incredable shot, some of the other good guys that shot some trap wanted to back him in shooting one of the bigger shoots, he just smiled and said "I'll stick to bowling" he was pretty good at that also.

I got into league and then ATA because I wasn't getting enough time to shoot live birds and my gun was becoming a stranger to me. I still can't hunt enough, but shooting is fun.

Most of the bad mouthing of trap shooters of my youth, was probably one or two really bad apples! but I think most people know how that goes!

Al

Although that group of want everything for themselves skeet shooters of my teen years was pretty bad also!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.