1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why don't righties use a left hand 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 682b, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682b

682b Member

why don

Well I always wondered why right handed shooters don't use a left handed 1100? Especial if they close there left eye. I guess the same question could be asked about one eyed lefties and right hand ejected 1100,s

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

B/c they don't want shells flinging across their face, gas getting blown back into their eyes, and powder burns on their glasses.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Not to mention that IF it has a left cast stock its uncomfortable for a right hand shooter to use and vice versa.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The LH 1100's have a tendency to break more than the RH models. I don't know why, it's just been an observation of mine over the years.

ss

5. 682b

682b Member

I agree with the stock statement. I had not thought about that. Thoughts about the blow back, and not having your glasses burnt wont fly in my book nor will the part about having the shell cross ones field of view if he is right handed and a one eyed, right eyed shooter. Also if he were a two eyed shooter the shell would be out of the right eyes focus. All that is hypothetical to me as I never see the ejected shell. But I have never shot a left handed 1100

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Well, as a lefty, when I shot a RH 1100, I experienced all the problems I laid out. Since you don't have any experience shooting a wrong handed gas gun, I would say you have no qualifications to say what will or won't "fly" in your book...

7. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Having had an 870 blow open on me many years ago leaving bits of the brass shell head imbedded in my forearm I would advise against that practice.

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Vice versa...I'm R/H but left eye dominant and learned to shoot L/H early. I love R/H auto's...hold by pistol grip in L/H throw a shell in the port, another up the Khyber, then good to go. I find manipulating a L/H action awkward. Cheers-Graham.

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

right up front, you obviously haven't seen an 1100 fragment or the question wouldn't come up. The shooter is alive and suffered no life threatening injuries because he was using the correct gun for his left handedness. use a gun designed for the hand you shoot with, otherwise you are taking chances in the event of a mishap. the ejection ports are where they provide the most protection to the correct shooter, and not so much to the other handed. Why would you want to use a left handed 1100?

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I am left handed and "short shucker" is absolutely correct about left hand 1100's breaking down more than right hand 1100's. I have owned 8 lh 1100 trap models and 5 rh models. I have even called Remington about lh guns breaking down more than rh guns, and they don't believe me. I have known numerous lh 1100 shooters and most agree they break down more than rh models.

I use to reload Federal papers for a rh 1100 at one time. I experienced first hand getting hit in the face with blow back and it felt like someone slapping me right in the face.

Problem when purchasing an LH 1100 was the dealer would say that it was a special order item, costing me more money than the RH version. Than when you trade a LH model in, they say they have to give you less than a RH model because it will sit on a shelf for a longer period of time. Left handers are use to getting shafted in this RH world.
    Steve Balistreri

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Because they have a brain that is functioning properly. HMB

12. RJ

RJ TS Member

Been a lefty all me life! Have shot righties the same. All me life. That is with 870's I also now have a couple 1100's. Both righties. I shoot the 870 more than the others. I like the ruggedness of it. Oh, Notin but Wingmasters on top of it. I shoot it very well If I got to say so meself. Do like the softness of the recoil of the 1100. I was given number 11 out of the 50 best guns ever made because of how soft it shoots. The 870 was given number 7 because of it's ruggedness and durability. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

13. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

Senior Smoke, what you say is true. Skeet_man & I always joke that we're being supressed by Righty.

14. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Hey ,those things break all the time,left or right handed!!!!!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse.

15. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

I witnessed an 1100 blow once due to a plugged barrel...

The Gun was a RH model and the Shooter was a RH shooter..

When I saw the bolt carrier and stuff pass along the shooters right shoulder , it was a wake up call for me...

I was using a LH model as a RH shooter at the time...

If that person was a LH shooter , the clump of metal would have made square contact with the face,neck area causing much damage and even death..

I sold my LH 1100 right away and I would not sell it to a RH shooter for this reason..

Think Safety always..

Robert

( Newfoundlander )

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm a lefty that has no trouble using right handed M1100's especially when they have a left handed conversion safety button. The issue of hull ejection never has bothered me with these guns. I do have a LH M1187 and it works fine but really it doesn't provide me with any significant advantages over the right handed guns.

The most interesting application for a left hand autoloading shotgun that I know of is for the aircraft based coyote gunner. This guy sits behind the pilot and shoots at coyotes using magnum buckshot loads. In order to get a good shot, the pilot makes a pass over the coyote which is usually running and drops the left wing when they are in range. The gunner has about 5 seconds to get his rounds off and generally he will empty the gun to make sure he got the kill. The left hand ejection is important here because right hand ejection would pelt the pilot in the back of the head with hot hulls and you really don't want to mess with the guy that is controlling the plane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.