1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't people evacuate?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Why don

For the life of me I can't understand why people don't evacuate when a big ass storm is bearing down. Right now everyone I know in Eastern Carolina is without power, no phone or cell service. They will most likely have to endure real crappy conditions for at least two weeks.

I hope they all survive & I mean survive,

Phil Berkowitz

2. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Phil, I figure the you are probably just trolling but I'm bored so consider this. If you evacuate to a school or other designated facility in the area and the power goes out you are then in a mass of uncomfortable people with no power. I would much rather be home with no power than in an evacuation center. I have lived on the Ocean since I was 15 and with the exception of a bad 3 day northeaster in 62 I have never seen any houses blow away or wash away. This of course excepts houses that were built right on the beach. I don't know about you but I don't think it is government's responsibility to protect me from myself. Warn me of a impending storm and leave me alone.

3. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

I am with you GM.

too damn many people wanting to tell other people what to do.

Robert

4. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

If you evacuate then only the criminials and looters are left? Thats my thought.

5. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

Well 635G people who live near the ocean and have seen many storms before know just a bit more about their particular circumstances that the various media pundits

As a point of reference I am within walking distance of the beach, currently about 30 miles north of the eye ( as of 4 pm) (shoot at Oceana) have power, c able ind internet. I have lived in the area for 50 years (with some times away)
    Don't believe everything the media says

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

And I'm getting so damn tired of the talking heads going on and on 24/7 about a friggin Cat 1 Hurricane

Give it up, it ain't news

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Amen. HMB

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

They're just hyping it so "someone" can take credit for saving all of those lives. I've heard Ray Nagin has even been called up the Martha's Vineyard as a consultant. He's supposed to be driving up in a school bus.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Anyone staying against an evacuation order should forfeit any and all relief help regardless of damages and injuries.

Those orders are for the good of the people including the taxpayers and people who donate to relief organizations. Also any looters and thieves should be shot on site by the authorities.

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

All I can say is I had 91/2 years with the NYC FD, I'm an exempt NJ Fireman & I'm a retired submariner.

I don't and want any first responder to risk their lives for my own stupidity, greed or ignorance'

Phil Berkowitz

11. LFT687

LFT687 Member

All of us on this forum, and in this sport, have something in common, we are all fortunate enough to be able to feed, clothe, and house ourselves and our families. We are also fortunate enough to have at least a little left over to go shoot a few rounds at the range each week, often with very expensive equipment and supplies.

While I have no sympathy for those people whose first step is to head out to buy a case of beer to ride out the storm, my heart goes out to all of those less fortunate who live from meager paycheck to meager paycheck, even some of our own neighbors, who have no place to go or no way to get there.

While many communities open up their churches and their schools to house those in nature's path, and here in the Northeast those shelters are filling up, I am certain that there are good, hardworking, Godfearing people, including the elderly, who would love to evacuate, but do not have transportation, funds, or someone to help them evacuate to a place of safety.

I am not an overly religious man, but God bless us all and keep us all safe as we weather this storm.

Dave

12. MarkyMark

MarkyMark TS Member

A good friend drove down to his shore house to keep an eye on his boat. We're talking about a 2mil offshore fishing boat. Looters is your first issue, do you really think nothing ever gets lifted when they ask everyone to leave. You would be surprised how many high end boats get stolen and you never hear a word about it.

Media hypes it up, I have heard NYC is getting anywhere between 3-14 inches of rain, not that is a big deviation. They use the word CAT 1, EYE, Bearing down for what we have a storm and were going to have to bear down a for a little bit.

13. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Phil, who said anything about asking for help?

14. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

likes-to-shoot, I agree. Shoot all looters, but if is not safe for residents to be there why would it be safe enough for authorities to be in a position to shoot any looters?

15. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Why do people act the way they do?

ONLY people who trust what the government and the news media tells them, respond!!

Lack of leaders, PC, trial lawyers, and criminals are the biggest reason's people tell the above to "take a hike"!

Now if the powers that be would act like back in the days of the San Fransisco and Chicago fire's and "shoot on site any looter" most people would leave their castle's in time of danger!

But the government of today, no longer protects its people!

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

G M I see your point. I would imagine there are a few left to help when they can get out.

Here in Iowa a few years back we had a blizzard with lots of cars in the ditches and roads closed. The thieves went looting on snowmobiles taking radios and other valuables out of the cars. They also left car doors open so the cars filled with snow. They caught a few but not near enough of them.

I guess I cant' help but feel if you can't shoot em, at least a person should get to hang em.

17. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Friday morning on TV, a Sheriff's Dept. spokesman said that when people refuse to evacuate, he hands them a felt marker and tells them to write their name on their arm with a contact phone number of an out of area family member, so it will make it easier to claim the body. He said it changes most minds right away. JIM

18. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I have lived on an island all my life, execpt a 1 year stay on top of a mountian in colorado,,I am now 100 feet from the water,,6 hrs ago I was only 15 feet from it,, the flooding is down. I have the camping gear thats kept me cozy for 2 weeks at a time in the woods right here,, I know more about my waters than mayor bloomburg ever did,,, leave not a chance,,stay and save whats mine YES depend on govt not a chance

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

70% of all Americans cannot raise a mere $1000 cash for any emergency.

20. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Shannon391 that's because they pissed their money away on I phones, big screen televisions, more expensive cars than they can afford, est., ect.,ect., because they know that in an emergency you and I will pony up our tax dollars to save their sorry asses, and we will do so by executive order. Thank you very much. Natural selection interrupted once again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

looters never evacuate