1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't more shooter's "pre-squad"?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grnberetcj, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Why don

We (Delaware Trapshooting Assoc.) offer free presquadding. This is the 2nd year we've done so and it seems that most shooter's would rather stand in line to squad than to presquad.

I would like to get your input as to the reason so few presquad even when it's a free service.

Thanks,

Curt - DTA Prez

2. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Why don't more shooter's

I do not pre enter any tourney. I wait till I can see exactly what the weather is to be or at least have a good idea. If I don't get in I have no problem with that either. In my book shooting suppose to be fun and my hobby. If I can't enjoy it, I don't care to do it. That pretty much goes for any hobby I have such as fishing,hunting,etc.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Why don't more shooter's

It's an unfamiliar process that some people don't care to try, and it's an extra cost I don't want to pay.

Pre-squading by mail takes too long.

Pre-squading online requires a computer. Just because you have one doesn't mean everyone over 40 does.

What about cancellations if weather or circumstances interfere with plans to shoot? Refunds?

The people I know who pre-squad do it because they have to always shoot with the same people. The ones who don't do it don't care so the drill of pre-squading is irrelevant to them.

The process would work better for everyone (organizers and shooters) if there was a way to display the current state of the signups.

MK

4. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Why don't more shooter's

I don't know why people don't use it more; not comfortable with the computer, don't want anything new, always done it the other way?

It makes shooting and being competative much easier for me. I am insulin dependent Diabetic. Vision and bloodsugar go hand & hand. I want to squad on the first flight out so I know what time I will begin shooting. This gives me a better chance of having my sugar where it should be.

I encourage anyone with health/medication issues to use it. Summer heat? Shoot in the morning when it's 15 degrees cooler. You know what time you are shooting when you pull into the grounds. You don't need to be there when they unlock the doors to shoot at the time you need / want. One less thing to worry about. Less worry = more fun = better scores.

5. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Why don't more shooter's

The last time I presquadded I shot the entire three day program by myself except one day I had another person squadded with me for singles,pretty much soured me on the process.Jerry

6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Why don't more shooter's

If I wanted to pre squad I would shoot skeet.
    Actually I have and do pre squad when the same fellows I regularly shoot with are going to show up. I also like not to pre squad sometimes just to meet and enjoy shooting with people that I have met before met. This is a nice change if you will just extend a hand and a smile. There are a lot of very nice people that shoot trap that we don't know---YET.
    Jp

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Why don't more shooter's

Pre-squadding is best suited for full squads of friends that want to shoot together. Like Jerry (jdsfarms) said, it's a great way to shoot on a squad of one.

I pre-squadded for the MO state shoot last year taking what came along. According to my print out, I was on a full squad. Not so when it came my squads time to shoot, I was all alone! This after watching many short squads go down the line prior that I could have filled in with that wasn't available when I pre-squadded!! The club should have known about the shortages and filled those squads. It was a total fluster kluck as far as I'm concerned and a waste of MY money!

Clubs and Pre-squad could remedy a lot of the ills for single shooters wanting a spot to shoot if they would. Fill up the squads beginning with the first one out instead of having squad 65 in the first flight out? My friend missed his first squad ever due to the number of missing squad numbers.

Hap

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Why don't more shooter's

Out west most clubs will let you scratch and give your money back when you want to. Do you do that CJ?

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Why don't more shooter's

Curt- I pre squad whenever possible, but I am one who messes up the system. If there are three events on one day, I will grab squad one for the third event, and a middle squad for the second event and not pre squad for the first event. I do not want to get on squad 20 for the first event and arrive at the shoot to discover that squad 20 is the second squad out.

Pat Ireland

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Why don't more shooter's

Curt- there are a lot like Pat. Me included.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Why don't more shooter's

Barry- I would be proud to be like you. But, if you are like me, I would suggest some professional counseling.

Pat Ireland

12. JRW

JRW Member

Why don't more shooter's

I used pre-squad.com for Spring Grand. That is 3 yrs now, this year I picked my doubles as there was an open spot next to Daro Handy. Always like meeting guys I have read and heard about. I aso picked singles and caps with the idea of meeting others I have heard of. Daro was a no show, I had written down my squads and names of others I would be shooting with after the week was over I had met 3 or 4 of the people I had signed up to shoot with. I just figure if you are taking the time to squad you are going to be there. I would have been on short squads most of the week, this being the spring Grand there were shooters ready to fill openings. Dam if you do Dam if you don't. Jerry

13. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Why don't more shooter's

I shoot on a full squad with the same group of guys. We used to presquad and pay the fee so we could shoot on the fields near our campers.

Ever since NY State decided to go to a system where you do not know what field you are going to shoot until the night before, we no longer presquad.

Dr. Honk

14. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Why don't more shooter's

It sure would help if there was a way to prevent short squads and squads of one. Also opening most desired squads first and just a few at a time and then opening only a few at a time after that would help (and only after the ones opened filled). Paying a substantial resquading fee would help as well. If the shoot management would not let those squads of one or two that would be the difference. Bruce

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Why don't more shooter's

I've only shot a couple of events, but I pre-squaded every time. I still had to stand in a line to finish the process. I don't see the savings unless you want to shoot with some particular guys.

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Why don't more shooter's

I suppose that no existing presquad software contains the capability of displaying the current state of the pre-squading process? It should not be difficult to create an updatable frame or table that would list the existing squad numbers with the occupied positions marked... no names, just marks, so individuals could fill them.

MK

17. dhip

dhip Active Member

Why don't more shooter's

This raises an issue I'd like some input on.Not exactly pre squading,but it bugs me a little when I show up early to a gun club,ask what's open and sign up early presuming I'll get to shoot early.Then,some time later, a squad of friens show up,sign up together. Then their squad gets called out prior to mine because they are waiting still to fill the squad I signed up on.I don't mind maybe one,but seeing two to three squads go out and sitting wondering when is the squd I signed up for going to get filled.Seems there should be a effort to fill a squad first,before forming a new one.OH,I'm New to this so I'm not bxxching,just wondering what process is used else where. I have squaded up with a few at a big Meat shoot,but it was filling fast and NO one had to wait for people to fill a squad till near the end.

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Why don't more shooter's

So what happens when trapshooters pre-squad, and then it rains? Do they not shoot? Can they drop-out without penalty?

19. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Why don't more shooter's

...........or...........come to Pennsylvania. EVERY year ; since the "dawn of time", the official PSSA program booklet prints the same bogus information : Forms postmarked on or before the deadline for each shoot will be given equal priority and drawn at random. It can be found at the top of page no. 4 in the 2010 issue.

The fact of the presquadding matter is that preference is given to individuals who have donated money to the organization. This has been verified to me (anonomously) by an office employee of the PSSA. It has also been openly stated by current PSSA president Mike Schuler at the 2009 PSSA annual meeting.

This "preference" was to have expired after a period of years, but was extended indefinitely - with the reasoning being that those who have donated money in the past will most-likely be the same individuals who will donate more money in the future.

SO - if you have the monetary means to "buy" your specific bank number and time of day to shoot (which provides the best shooting background and lighting conditions), you have a distinct advantage over the rest of those who are not in such a financial position. Better still.........just be a buddy to someone who has the "bucks", and shoot on his / her preferred squad for free !!

As with anything of such nature, my real peeve is that the PSSA still continues to print this ridiculously false information - I am assuming to dupe the unknowing into paying the $2.00 per shooter / per event presquadding fee. I've heard rumors that the presquadding money is "payment" to Bob Stuart for the computer system and related software used at the tournament, but I have no real verification of this claim - so I maintain it is a "rumor".

I openly call upon the Executive Board of the PSSA to remove this false claim of "random selection" from future printings of the official program booklet. As an individual shooter, I could be disqualified for providing false information about my age, classification, handicap yardage, or gender. And yet - here is the "official" printing of the largest State Tournament in the country, still providing the same mythical claim of presquadding fairness.

20. KaboK80

KaboK80 TS Member

Why don't more shooter's

FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE WTA AND CURT FOR HAVING "FREE" PRESQUADING FOR THE DEL. STATE SHOOT.CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG BUT DELAWARE IS THE ONLY STATE SHOOT THAT OFFERS "FREE" PRE-SQUADING.
    THERE ARE SEVERAL REASONS WHY WE PRE-SQUADAND THEY ARE
    1. NO WAITING IN LINES.
    2. GETING THE TIMES WE WANT TO SHOOT ( NO SUN IN THE EYES )
    3. GETING THE BANKS WE WANT...HOPEFULLY.
    4. TO SHOOT WITH OUR REGULAR SQUAD.
    ALL OF THESE REASONS ARE IMPORTANT TO US AND IT IS OUR CHOICE TO PRE-SQUAD. IF A SHOOTER DOESN'T GET WHAT THEY WANT THEN PRE-SQUAD AND YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETING THE DESIRED BANK/TIME YOU WANT.
    IF WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH OUR BANKS/TIME ONE OF US STANDS IN LINE LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE DOES TO GET WHAT WE WANT.
    I AM ALWAYS SUPRISED AT THE COMMENTS ABOUT THE PSSA. THEY AND OHIO ARE THE 2 LARGEST STATE SHOOTS AND EVERY YEAR THEY HAVE DONE SOMETHING TO IMPROVE THEIR SHOOT. PA WAS THE FIRST TO HAVE THE NEW PAPERLESS SQUADING/PAYMENT (TO STOP THE HOARDING OF SQUADS ) SYSTEM FOR THE SHOOTERS AND STUART CASHIERS FOR OHIO AND THE GRAND, SOOOOO THEY MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.