1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't more people shoot doubles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Why don

Why don't more people shoot doubles in both ATA shoots and the recreational shooting? It seems to be a small percentage of overall shooters that shoot doubles compared to those that shoot caps/singles.

2. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

ive never understood it either. For me i could always break a big score in the doubles a lot easier than caps or singles

3. team henges

team henges TS Member

i think it is because practicing doubles costs twice as much as practicing singles and caps

brendan

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Most newer shooters tell me that doubles intimidates them and many veteran shooters just don't know how to shoot them right, so their scores suffer and takes a lot of the fun out of shooting them. I didn't understand how to shoot them until late 1999 and about the same time, one of my doctors told me that the whiplash-like effect of the gun going off twice in rapid succession wouldn't be good for my neck spurs. But I still think that shooting doubles is more fun than singles or handicap.

Ed

5. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I love shooting doubles but the expense is killing me. Now I concentrate on hcp.

Rich (waiting to hit the lottery) in Indiana

6. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Other reason is that at most ATA shoots they are shot last and generally late in the day. If you have an hour or so drive this could mean getting home late and being too tired from shooting and the drive to do any of the chores the better half wants done around the house. Also shooting all three events can getting a bit expensive if you are like me, retired and on a fixed income.

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

" I love shooting doubles but the expense is killing me. Now I concentrate on hcp.

Rich (waiting to hit the lottery) in Indiana"

I shot handicap for the first time a few weeks ago and got hooked instantly, lately doubles and caps seems to be easier than singles for me. I think I got my singles problem worked out last week though so hopefully that's fixed for good or at least for a while.

Rich (waiting to hit the lottery) in New York.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The guys I know of that don't shoot doubles are either intimidated by it (new shooters) or have physical reasons (slow reflexes, vision, back problems ...)

But IMO, doubles are the sex of trapshooting. Tons of fun and a great way to make ammo dissapear in a hurry.

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Shoot twice as much in half the time, what could be better?

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have a field open all day for doubles. That way it wouldn't be the last event and you could be home in time for dinner. HMB

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

we live 1 1/4 hr from a registered range-- you start the day of a full shoot early-- then wait for doubles at the end- i dont want to get home at 7-8 pm and then work the next day-- if you shoot the whole program-- its ALL DAY- i aint got time !!! plus- take all the money spent on the singles and hdcp events with maybe some options $ spent and i'm down probably $175 without shells , gas or eats????

12. acss

i will add to my post--- a guy asked me this spring- why i didnt get my duaghter to shoot doubles?-- his quote was" you oughta get her to shoot more of them"-- here was MY reply " if the range doubled the cost of your rocks when YOU shoot-- wudnt you think of cutting back on your shooting"?----when i bring a kid to a shoot with me, that is exactly what happens to my expense for the day--where do you draw the line??

13. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

" i will add to my post--- a guy asked me this spring- why i didnt get my duaghter to shoot doubles?-- his quote was" you oughta get her to shoot more of them"-- here was MY reply " if the range doubled the cost of your rocks when YOU shoot-- wudnt you think of cutting back on your shooting"?----when i bring a kid to a shoot with me, that is exactly what happens to my expense for the day--where do you draw the line?? "

Just to play devils advocate, how is the cost of targets doubling? You're still shooting the same number of targets, just quicker.

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I have no place to practice doubles. On days that the club I shoot at is open, the traps are all running singles or handicap.

MK

15. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

" I have no place to practice doubles. On days that the club I shoot at is open, the traps are all running singles or handicap.

MK "

I had that same problem, 3 clubs later and I have finally found a club that will allow me to shoot whatever I want when I want.

16. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

--Several reasons..1-A lot of people do not know how to shoot doubles
    2-You have to shoot a lot of doubles to get good at it...3.It is expensive..4. It is hard to practice doubles unless you have about 4 people shooting them..need to clearly see where the first bird is going and spot it. Hard to do with only one or two people shooting......SMOKIT

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

As hmb and acss said, the time factor with doubles often being the last event hurts that discipline, too. Glen Rock Shooting Club in southern Pennsylvania has five traps and one is set for doubles all day, so shooters can shoot their doubles anytime before, between or after their other event(s). Perhaps more clubs with more than four traps should try that.

Ed

18. acss

rich219-- my point is that many shooters have only so much $ to shoot with-- if i drive 1 1/4 hrs and we both shoot, how much have i spent?-- the people that make good comments like i have heard many times-( and i am not disagreeing with them)- are generally only paying for their own shooting--- i commend a family that shoots together, especially if dad pays for it all. --- i am torn between not enuf time and justifying my days total shooting expense, if we both shoot!!! but back to new shooters, who have only them selves-- yes i think doubles are intimidating, with lil hope of winning, cost is a problem if you do any other singles practice ect

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Too many shooters only have single barrel guns-much too slow for Doubles!!

20. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Gotta load quick with a SB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.