Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why don

5K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  Gapper 
#1 ·
Hello:
Over the years, I have seen only a handful of All American shooters post on this site. The majority of them have the experience and knowledge to really answer questions constructively from new and veteran shooters a like.

Why don't more All American shooters participate in discussion on this site?
Steve Balistreri

#6 ·
smoke:

Maybe it's because they would have to deal with guys like this...

One recent poster can't look at a picture and correctly distinguish a digital powder scale from a balance beam scale. A poster who nevertheless considers himself qualified to comment about powder scales.

sissy

#17 ·
There is a lot of, for lack of a better word "eliteism" in this sport. We all shoot trap, but not all look at the sport that way. Some feel that the only shooter is an ATA shooter. I shoot with a couple of guys like that and it is especially fun to kick their elitist behinds. And yes I do shoot a few registered birds. Bill

#18 ·
I think there are two reasons and I arrive at them based upon many conversations with one All-American who no longer posts here as well as some others who never have and say they never will.

First, as has already been mentioned, some of our little group are, to quote that first All-American, "D-Class, 20-yard All-Americans" who tend to dispute what those more knowledgeable folks post. That wears on a guy. Asking for more information about something that a more knowledgeable or more experienced person posts is great; disputing that information without asking questions is just rude.

Another reason is the constant bickering and ridiculing that goes on from time to time from a handful of posters who 1)are technocrats who go to extremes to relentlessly prove their point regardless of its tedium and sleep induction, 2)believe the ATA is a scam and thinks everyone should agree with them, 3)believe the ATA is perfect and thinks everyone should agree with them and 4)enjoy ridiculing those who really don't know much about a topic but are brave enough to ask what the "knowledge base" considers to be stupid questions.

If you've been on this site for as many years as some of us have and search your memory, you will think of many people who no longer participate in this forum. Some of them can be found on ShotgunWorld.com and other sites. But even though I have cut back on my participation here, it remains in my mind the best site of its kind because of the depth and breadth of the experience our posters possess. I don't think there is a subject about which you can ask for advice for which someone does not have valid information that they are willing to share.

One way to look at Trapshooters.com is that we are successful in spite of ourselves. Another is to think how much more enjoyable we could make other people's visits here.

Ed

#20 ·
Ed:
Very good thought out response. I have had a lot of threads over the years. Some people like them and some don't. I get a tremendous amount of PM's from shooters as some are nice responses and let's just say that some are not very complimentary.

I feel any time you write on a public type forum, you need to have a thick skin as it take two to tangle. My motto in life is that you attract more bees with honey than vinegar.

I wish more all Americans would participate as they would really help some of the shooters with their knowledge about our sport. The late D. Braun once said something like "that a 27 yd, AA shooter deserves our respect and admiration for what they have accomplished in our sport".

Regardless, great response.
Steve

#22 ·
Steve: You had me for a moment. I had to think if I had said something lately that didn't please everyone.

To answer your question. Look at the anti-AA garbage that is spewed here. Certain shoot heads fail to offer points because he disagrees with AA status. It used to be a worthey goal to shoot for but now it comes with a certain amount of ridecule and belittlement.

I will say this if you want to make it your goal then - GO FOR IT. You will have accomplished one of the highest achievemnts in a sport you obviously love.

Don

#24 ·
Don:
I have loved this sport since I started in 1970. Even though I have really never been competitive, what other sport allows a ham n egger like myself to shoot along side with some of the greatest trapshooters in the world?

Years ago, my friend Vic Reinders attempted to teach me how to shoot, and plain and simple I frustrated the hell out of him. What I did learn from Vic was that we are in a great sport.

Vic rewrote the rule book I think back in 1958 when he was president of the ATA. When Vic heard complaints about the ATA he normally told the people making the complaints that what they wanted changed was tried years ago and it didn't work.

I really like the sport pretty much the way it is. I respect the people who run it as they also have the responsibilty to make decisions, especially since it's a thank less job at best. If I was in charge could I do a better job? Hell no.

The ATA has been in existence for a good # of years and I believe they know what they are doing. And regards to the AA back fence shooters, I also personally feel that they do deserve all of our respect as it is a great accomplishment to reach that particular goal in our sport.

Thanks for your comments.
Steve

#25 ·
A lot of insightful thought, maybe to much thought. Maybe most of them simply do not do forums for what ever reason. I don't think we "scare them". I asked Kay once about TS and he said what is that.

I imagine any top shooters that got on here wanting to help out would be welcome and not ridiculed. How could you not respect a top shot if they deserve it.

CM

#26 ·
While I hold any All-American in high regard (unless his personality absolutely sucks), it is a very real fact that a shooter has to have a lot of two things before he can become an All-American - money and time. It costs a lot of money to travel to and stay at a lot of larger shoots, pay the entry fees and buy the shells. And of course, you have to have a job you can both afford and be allowed to leave for a week or more at a time. Given that, the best shooter in the world can never become an All-American without a lot of money and time. In some ways, I suppose that takes some of the shine off the accomplishment.

I managed to earn AA-27 honors and am proud of that but then I think about what I spent to earn those rankings. It was a lot of fun at the time but in hindsight, I honestly can't say with certainty that it was worth it.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.