1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Doesn't Trap Handicap By Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoking357, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Why Doesn

Sure to tick some people off, but here goes.

Why doesn't Trap handicap by gauge and distance? That is, why aren't the pro/top class shooters using .410s from the 27 yard line? It really wouldn't matter what the overall score is, because only the top class would be competing with each other. A 85 Pro wouldn't allow a 100 Amateur to win anything for the event.

Why not call it "Super Handicap" or "Pro Class"?

I know some of these guys can hit with a .410 at 27 yards. It might drop the scores and increase winning spreads.

Just wondering.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Because there is no interest. Oh, sorry, except yours.

Simple, huh.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

It might be because they have a game out like that already, Its called Skeet. So no reason to copy them. Now both Trap and Skeet used to have a pro class. If I can just remember what they used to call it. And why its not around anymore! Can anyone help me out on this one. Anyone. Break-em all. Jeff

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Because trapshooters don't wear high heels like them thar skeeter's......

Curt

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Sporting clay shooters think there golfers riding around in them golf carts? LOL

6. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

INDUSTRY Anyone who made a living from Trap, or the shooting industry were considered Industry shooters.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Smoking, all games and sports have rules, from tidily-winks to professional football. Play by the rules or petition the governing body to change them, or create your own game and change the name. There is American Trap, Bunker Trap, International Trap, why don't you start your own Sub-Gauge Trap League and make your own rules???

Jeff, the ATA use to have an Industry Pro class, guys like D.Lee Braun with Remington, and Fred Misildine (sp) with Winchester. Is that the pro class your thinking of?

Wayne

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

well, I'll tell you what....lets take the .410 and a box of 2 1/2" number 9 shot skeet loads, and head back.

I'll give you $5 for every one you hit from the 27 if'n you'll give me a buck for every one that doesn't break until it hits the ground.

Curious as to what YOUR yardage and average from that yardage is....you seem to have lots of ideas (that's not a bad thing, necessarily) but I'm forced to wonder what your level of expertise / ability is?

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It would attract alot of skeet shooters and sporting clay shooters to the game of trap. HMB

10. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

"you seem to have lots of ideas (that's not a bad thing, necessarily) but I'm forced to wonder what your level of expertise / ability is?"

In marketing or trapshooting?

"I'll give you $5 for every one you hit from the 27 if'n you'll give me a buck for every one that doesn't break until it hits the ground."

I'm not sure the point of your post. If I said "let's give 3 points for every football kicked through some uprights at 45 yards," that doesn't mean I kick for the Jets. If I said "let's give one run and all the runners on the bases to anyone who hits it over the fence," that doesn't mean I'm Mike Schmidt.

The pro level is something that the average person should find difficult or impossible.

I really don't follow the logic that says if Skeet does something, Trap shouldn't.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You're never gunna get trapshooters to get interesting in changing any aspect of their sport. Same for skeeters. That's why sporting clays came about.

What you can do is visit trap ranges that have also installed Five Stand, or get your club to run a Five Stand.

12. Pull & Mark

Thank You Herb, Yes both of these sports had a pro type class. "Industry class" I believe it was about the time Carter cut out the freebies on the taxes that made it very hard for the companies ammo,& guns to keep it going (no more write off's). So they both removed it and now the Industry shooters take the money from the rest of us common shooters. Less for us, but they keep rolling along. Theres been less added money ever since, but the cost of shooting has kept going up and up. That's why both Trap and Skeet are dieing sports. Only Sporting Clays has grown and thats mostly because you don;'t have to shoot 100 strait to win. Some see it as a better chance of winning at least for awhile. There seems to be alot more financially well off shooters there as compared to trap and skeet as well. Followed only by the few live bird shoots were you can still bet $30,000 plus, no problem at each match. Break-em all. Jeff

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"You're never gunna get trapshooters to get interesting in changing any aspect of their sport. Same for skeeters. That's why sporting clays came about."

Well Brian you and Jeff seem to feel that you are correct. So let me ask you a couple of questions. If the sporting clays starts to do the same thing to their sport as Trap and Skeet has done to theirs(wait a while it will)what would you expect to happen.

Trap has been getting dumbed down for thirty years and Skeet even longer. The effects add up to less participation longer shooting days. Added costs(in some cases much more cost)how would you react to changes to the sports????

If you have survived this and seen the effects on the sport you love do you suppose you would do hand springs and say YA YA give us more????

Bob Lawless

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Because we just don't want to.

15. Brian in Oregon

What will happen to sporting clays if it gets fixed in its ways? To a certain extent, it already is. That started after the fallout from the political infighting years ago when sanctioned sporting clays first got off the ground.

What do I think will happen? I don't know. Perhaps more political infighting. Those interesting in sporting clays are a younger group on average, so I don't see them supporting the status quo like trapshooters do.

I'm interested in what you mean by trap being "dumbed down". Are you referring to soft targets and that it's reached a point where the top shooters have reached a plateau for scores? That it should be made more difficult?

As far as doing handsprings, or gloating, not me. I don't like anything that diminishes any shooting sport, be it trap, sporting clays, tactical shotgunning or recreational machinegunnning.

16. Brian in Oregon

You're never gunna get trapshooters to get interesting in changing any aspect of their sport. Same for skeeters. That's why sporting clays came about.

What you can do is visit trap ranges that have also installed Five Stand, or get your club to run a Five Stand.

17. Pull & Mark

Thank You Herb, Yes both of these sports had a pro type class. "Industry class" I believe it was about the time Carter cut out the freebies on the taxes that made it very hard for the companies ammo,& guns to keep it going (no more write off's). So they both removed it and now the Industry shooters take the money from the rest of us common shooters. Less for us, but they keep rolling along. Theres been less added money ever since, but the cost of shooting has kept going up and up. That's why both Trap and Skeet are dieing sports. Only Sporting Clays has grown and thats mostly because you don;'t have to shoot 100 strait to win. Some see it as a better chance of winning at least for awhile. There seems to be alot more financially well off shooters there as compared to trap and skeet as well. Followed only by the few live bird shoots were you can still bet $30,000 plus, no problem at each match. Break-em all. Jeff

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"You're never gunna get trapshooters to get interesting in changing any aspect of their sport. Same for skeeters. That's why sporting clays came about."

Well Brian you and Jeff seem to feel that you are correct. So let me ask you a couple of questions. If the sporting clays starts to do the same thing to their sport as Trap and Skeet has done to theirs(wait a while it will)what would you expect to happen.

Trap has been getting dumbed down for thirty years and Skeet even longer. The effects add up to less participation longer shooting days. Added costs(in some cases much more cost)how would you react to changes to the sports????

If you have survived this and seen the effects on the sport you love do you suppose you would do hand springs and say YA YA give us more????

Bob Lawless

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Because we just don't want to.

20. Brian in Oregon

What will happen to sporting clays if it gets fixed in its ways? To a certain extent, it already is. That started after the fallout from the political infighting years ago when sanctioned sporting clays first got off the ground.

What do I think will happen? I don't know. Perhaps more political infighting. Those interesting in sporting clays are a younger group on average, so I don't see them supporting the status quo like trapshooters do.

I'm interested in what you mean by trap being "dumbed down". Are you referring to soft targets and that it's reached a point where the top shooters have reached a plateau for scores? That it should be made more difficult?

As far as doing handsprings, or gloating, not me. I don't like anything that diminishes any shooting sport, be it trap, sporting clays, tactical shotgunning or recreational machinegunnning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.