1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why doesn't anyone reccommend any ruger red lable

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riverboat, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riverboat

riverboat TS Member

why doesn

I am a 74 tear old trap shooter who has been shooting for 3 years off and on. I presently shoot a
    Browning BT 99 but would like to shoot an over and under. The new Ruger Red Lable competition
    12 ga. or the o/a SKB. I am saving my nickles and dimes and would like to buy anyone of the two.

I like the Ruger because it comes up to my shoulder really nice and fits right in the shoulder. I have
    not had a chance to shoulder an SKB.

Reading the discussion threads no one seems to like either one of those guns. Reasons please.

2. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

which ever one fits you shoot it i just perfer for the money a 3200 remington its a trap gun very dependable

3. riverboat

riverboat TS Member

why doesn

I am a 74 tear old trap shooter who has been shooting for 3 years off and on. I presently shoot a
    Browning BT 99 but would like to shoot an over and under. The new Ruger Red Lable competition
    12 ga. or the o/a SKB. I am saving my nickles and dimes and would like to buy anyone of the two.

I like the Ruger because it comes up to my shoulder really nice and fits right in the shoulder. I have
    not had a chance to shoulder an SKB.

Reading the discussion threads no one seems to like either one of those guns. Reasons please.

4. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

which ever one fits you shoot it i just perfer for the money a 3200 remington its a trap gun very dependable

5. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Sir,
    The Rugers are a fine firearm. Customer service is second to none. However, if you shoot a Red Label a lot like in trap, skeet or sporting clays.....it will break.....a lot. That's mostly why you don't see many.....Uncle Sam, Pa.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

One good thing about buying a gun few people want is that you will get a good price a used one. Unless you plan on a lot of shooting, reliability is not a big issue.

The top trap guns will "go the distance" and that is what the top shooters use. We "wannabees" want to use the same guns the top shooters use and some of us will shoot 20k+ rounds a year. If you were planning to put 150k rounds through it there are better choices.

A buddy shot an SKB that doubled on him and it turned him off right away. But I have seen higher priced guns double too.

Good luck.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Keep it in the Browning family, and by a Citori Trap.

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Years ago a friend of mine ordered a new one, when it came in I couldnt beleive it, the wood was awful looking, I think they used a stock from a mini 14 that got messed up in production.. the forearm was loose and where the wood met the metal there were gaps like crazy... I cleared my eyes to see if it had some russian name stamped on it, it looked like crap.. I told him it was nice and shouldered good, but... I was disappointed, I was in the market for one but after seeing his i ordered a citori..I havent seen many since then.. I'm sure they are better now..

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

For the money you need to follow Stl Flyn's advice. Personally, I shoot a Beretta Silver Pigeon and have probably put close to 60,000 rounds through it without a hiccup. Although, you can probably pick up a good used Beretta SP for about the same money you can't go wrong with the Brownings. Jackie B.

10. missemucho

missemucho Member

After you put that Ruger to your shoulder and PULL the trigger you'll know why you don't see many of them on the trap field! They kick most people like a Missouri mule; I used a 20 ga Red Label for one round of sporting clays and limped back to my XT Browning. A used Browning or SKB would probably work much better, and the Browning won't loose much value over the long haul.
    JMHO,
    John

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I am with misse they do kick and after about 100 you will find another gun.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I bought one of the first production run of the Red Label Sporting Clays edition. $1359 in those days. That was $359 more than a Remington Peerless that had pretty marginal checkering and fit. The fit and finish was perfect and the wood was pretty nice. It was very well balanced as a field gun, and swung very naturally for typical bird hunting shots. I broke a lot of targets with it. It never broke down. It did fit like a field gun, and kick like a field gun. It shot as flat as a rifle. None of these features helped on the trap field. It did have a mean kick. That did not help on a 100 bird program either. I bought a Single barrel Beretta Trap gun. Sold the Red Label Sporting to a bird hunter who loves it. We are still friends, and he has never complained about it, so I think it is still holding up very well.

13. bh

bh TS Member

When I started shooting trap I went through 2 rugers they have cast parts in their triggers and after about 25000 rounds they got so loose they practically fell apart==That was in the 80"s perhaps they use forged parts now=Bob

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I had a 12 ga.& as missemucho said the recoil was an issue for me, but at that time I was still shooting 3-1&1\8 a few yrs. later I went down to 1 oz. then in 94 or 95 down to 7\8 oz. (still at 7\8.) So with a lighter load I don't think recoil would be an issue, I still do have a first year 20ga. S.C. model with 30" bbls.that I love & have put many 1000s of rounds through, & am yet to have a problem. One thing I did not like for target shooting was the automatic safety, (I fixed that shhhhh) for field use I think auto safetys should be mandatory. In my experience I would say TRY one 1st. if you like it buy it, & don't worry what others think or shoot. Good Luck in your choice. Ross Puls

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I love Ruger firearms but the Red Label is certainly not one of them. I owned one but never again

16. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

I have a new stainless, with the gold pheasant, that I won in a drawing in the safe. Fired twice. That was enough for me. I am no little sissy. 370 lbs and I shoot 1 1/2 oz. of #5 for pot shoots in an 870 and they don't kick as bad as that RUGER RED LABLE does with AA 1 1/8 handicap shells.

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Look at the severe drop at comb on that gun. That's why they kick so hard. The recoil is turned into rotational force and the gun rotates up into your cheek hard. Also the barrels are WAY above the stock which also increases felt recoil. They are made to be a carry a lot, shoot a little gun, not a target gun.

18. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Ditto on the drop dimensions, don't know many manufactures who sell guns with a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 stock dimensions, for most it equals more felt recoil. For me and the 3 Red Labels I owned years ago the drop was perfect and for me the Rugers seemed to recoil less than others .... no they probably are not extremely high volume shooters ....... but I put a ton of shells thru mine in 20 gauge and 12 with no problems at all before I moved on to higher grade shotguns. My only complaint now would be the triggers, but at the time I owned them I wouldn't of known the difference.

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Only "red label" I recommend is Johnnie Walker.

20. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Last year I picked up a unfired Red Label from a coworker cheap, nice addition to my Silver pigeon and Citori. The Ruger was the best feeling gun of all three. I just couldn't stand how loose the gun was compared to the seasoned Beretta or Browning, just didn't feel it could stand up for the long haul. I sold the gun after taking it pheasant hunting one time.

Domenic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.