1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHY DOES THE WIFE OBJECT TO A NEW GUN?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Why do they raise so much hell when you buy a gun? Look at how they spend money. On their cloths, shoes, hair, nails and so on. After all that they want a NEW CAR or go to some far off place for vacation. Why??? Because its there.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Because they believe that your money is their money and what they buy is a neccessity. What you buy is a frivolus toy.

Eric

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i think most spouses who shoot themselves understand why their husbands need a new gun. if your wife doesn't shoot that may be a different story. in my own opinion most wifes run the household, take care of children, take care of the house, plan meals, take care of paying the bills. if your wife also works outside the home, well, that is one of the toughest jobs there is. my wife as an example, believes that one gun should be enough. she doesn't understand that when i miss a target that it is not my fault, but it's the guns fault. she believes that i should learn how to shoot the gun, instead of keeping it in a closet, or trading it in when i miss a few targets. another reason may possibly be is that most spouses look at their husbands a a larger version of their children that they have to take care of and educate. i have seen grown men promise their wife that they will never purchase another gun, i have seen men sign papers that they promise they will never purchase another gun, and i have seen grown men do a low crawl from the car to the basement window trying to smuggle into the house a new gun without the mrs. finding out. some husbands feel it might be better for them if the wife doesn't find out that they purchased another gun to stop a possible argument. some of my friends are afraid to face the music if the wife finds out they purchased another gun. i have to go, my wife is in the basement near one of the guns i have just hidden, i have to go distract her so she won't find it.
    steve balistreri

4. tj303

tj303 Member

Look at how women view money and property. 'What is mine is all mine, what is yours is half mine'. If you have ever been through a divorce you probably have experienced this. Why would a non shooting woman want half a gun?

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Years ago I wanted a new Beretta 682X combo. Being married, at the time, I put the needs of her before that of my own. I saved up enough money to purchase a nice Loom so she could make things out all the yarn she had (a flock of sheep make a lot of wool every year).

For the next year I worked a bit of overtime and little side jobs here and there and saved enough money for my Beretta combo. No bills needed to be paid and the place was in good order.

Not thinking anything about it, I went out and purchased my new Beretta.

She went off the end of the handle at me. After a few minutes of her yelling at me I reminded her of her loom, which actually cost more, and that I didn't consult her before buying that. Well you can guess where that got me. Her reply was, "that's different".

It wasn't but a year or two after that I sent her packing. I haven't had that problem since.

ss

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have 2 gun safes full of guns, when I buy one I proudly show it off to her and she always says.. looks just like the others you have..lol..

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Because it is something you will really enjoy. That seems to bother them. I never tell my wife when I buy a new gun. I hide it for a few months or years until she notices, then I say, that old thing. I've had that a long time. She can't really tell my guns apart anyway. They all look the same to her. Just hide that twinkle in your eye when you look at a new gun. She will catch that.

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Women think differently than men. All the clothing, cosmetics, etc, they buy is based on the "It's better to look good than to feel good" rule. If you question it they come back with a guilt trip by saying "you want me to look good for you, don't you"? Your new gun does nothing to enhance their self esteem so it's an unneccessary expense in their eyes.

Eric

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

We have an agreement in my house. I don't count shoes and she don't count guns.

10. Robb

Robb Member

Wise man told me once to always leave the house with a guncase. That way you are always returning with a case. Sometimes it comes home weighing more than it used to.

11. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Not all women are like that, but I am more and more surprised by how many are. Two years ago I wouldn't let a gun in the house, stored my kids trap guns at a cops house, but then got married to someone with more guns than I could count. He says each one has a purpose; I smile and ask, "How many times in your life do you think you're going to hunt caribou/elk/water buffalo again?"

I think the important part is I know he loves them, and I love him, and I want him happy. As long as it doesn't break the bank (and even so, once in a while, you can't take it with you, right?) what does it matter? Maybe the issue is less the gun and more the fact that a new gun means more time away from home? Just a thought.

12. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

tj303, you're close but no cigar with 'What is mine is all mine, what is yours is half mine'.

It goes 'What's mine is all mine, and what's yours is all mine too."

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Never think that wives have no interest in guns. My first wife showed no interest. However, when we were splitting up, I found out that she had an interest in serial numbers and how many.

14. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I've been telling guys for years, I always leave with a gun case and come home with a gun case. I don't ask about her closets full of clothes and shoes and she doesn't ask about my guns. We go over finances together and as long as everything is paid for with NO balances and we're still paying and meeting our retirement goals, No problems.

Shoot well, often and safely,
    Tom

15. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Once I had to tell mine.. If I gathered up all your clothes and shoes, I would have to pay someone to haul them off, you gather up all my guns, they will beat a path to our door to buy them..

16. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I don't mention buying a new gun anymore than I would mention I just put gas in my car. Guns go in and out of the house, to the gun club or from the store and back into the safe. She doesn't have to mention if she buys something at the mall and I don't mention anything I buy either. A newly married guy makes a big mistake in discussing such things that COULD make him miserable for years.

17. Josephdog

Josephdog TS Member

My wife will object if I buy her a new gun or suggest that she obtain a new gun because she is very happy with the one she has now. She thinks a new gun for her is just a ploy on my part to reduce her scores, albeit temporarily, so I that I might score better than she. That did work, in a way, when I had a gold broken target top latched installed on her gun as a Christmas present. Yes, she was happy with the gift, but found that her eye was distracted to the top latch every time she brought the gun up to shoot. This resulted in a few lost targets. She quickly overcame this distraction and put me back in second place in the household. It’s a good thing the dogs don’t shoot or I might sink to third or fourth place. I’m trying to convince her to chrome plate the exterior of the barrels... so far no luck. As for my collection of sporting firearms, she cares not how many I have, but does suggest I might better spend my money on lessons.

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Why do they raise so much hell when you buy a gun? Look at how they spend money. On their cloths, shoes, hair, nails and so on. After all that they want a NEW CAR or go to some far off place for vacation. Why??? Because its there.

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Because they believe that your money is their money and what they buy is a neccessity. What you buy is a frivolus toy.

Eric

20. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i think most spouses who shoot themselves understand why their husbands need a new gun. if your wife doesn't shoot that may be a different story. in my own opinion most wifes run the household, take care of children, take care of the house, plan meals, take care of paying the bills. if your wife also works outside the home, well, that is one of the toughest jobs there is. my wife as an example, believes that one gun should be enough. she doesn't understand that when i miss a target that it is not my fault, but it's the guns fault. she believes that i should learn how to shoot the gun, instead of keeping it in a closet, or trading it in when i miss a few targets. another reason may possibly be is that most spouses look at their husbands a a larger version of their children that they have to take care of and educate. i have seen grown men promise their wife that they will never purchase another gun, i have seen men sign papers that they promise they will never purchase another gun, and i have seen grown men do a low crawl from the car to the basement window trying to smuggle into the house a new gun without the mrs. finding out. some husbands feel it might be better for them if the wife doesn't find out that they purchased another gun to stop a possible argument. some of my friends are afraid to face the music if the wife finds out they purchased another gun. i have to go, my wife is in the basement near one of the guns i have just hidden, i have to go distract her so she won't find it.
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.