1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does recoil bother me?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Porter, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Somebody explain why Olimpic shooters, some small ladies, run hundereds of thousands of shells through a stock, out of the box gun in a year or so with no recoil aids and never develope a flinch or problem? I put anything I can can find on one and still have problems. They must have remarkable fitters and coaches.

2. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

I think you answered your own question. They put hundreds of thousands of rounds through every year. It becomes second nature plus having the countries best stockfitters and coaches doesn't hurt either. I know when I first started trap back in Feb of this year 100 rounds would put a hurting on my arms, but since then I've become use to holding the gun and everything and I'm up to 400 a day back to back and it doesn't bother me.

Allan

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

olympic shooter are not human! plus they get to shoot A LOT. Best coaches gun fitters ect ect.

4. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Jim check you Private messages here on TS.com

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Perhaps your gun does not fit. That will increase your perception of recoil. get it properly fitted to you, shoot a couple of hundred rounds and then re-examine.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They shoot 7/8 ounce loads. Also they do not shoot out of the box guns. They shoot guns that fit. HMB

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

hmb is correct about the 7/8's. Also, your a "WUS." LOL

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

How ironic. Shot410ga calling someone who shoots a big-boy gun a wus...LOL

Guy Babin

9. shot410ga

I'm a "Wus'" too. LOL. ERGO: 410. Actually, I once shot 25 straight from the 16 with my grandaughers 410, with about a 12" stock.

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

And Bill Bolinger watched. Jake

11. shot410ga

Jake: No, just my granddughter. You'll have to take my word for it this time. LOL

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

It also may have nothing in the world to do with pain. A flinch is often got more to do with what is between the ears then the gun, the fit or shooting heavy loads.Daro Handy sets his release trigger before he mounts his gun. Guess what? It's not just because he is in a hurry to get ready! He has to do it this way or he will flinch more often. Sometimes a flinch has to do with not getting the right sight picture and many,many, other reasons. It's got a lot to do with a whole lot of things! Not the least of which is the fact that your brain knows that a small explosion is about to take place about 4 inches in front of your nose. There are many who believe recoil is cumalative which may very well be true but then so is the cumalative effects on the mind. It's very complicated and it damn sure isn't because of gun fit because there are some of the richest men in the sport with the best fit guns from the best stock fitters with the most high tech recoil devices that still flinch. A release can be a good place to start but I believe that it's the same as taking a pain pill for a broken leg. The pain may be gone but you still have a broken leg and with flinching all we have is diffrent and sometimes very valid "Pills" we take but we are treating the symtoms because we not only do not know how to cure the "Disease" we don't truly know what causes it. My opinion.... Jeff

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Recoil never bothered me until a few years ago. Now, I gotta think about shooting 2 days or more in a row. Blame it on getting older.

I will probably go back to shooting an 1100. They are the lightest recoiling gun I can think of.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know of any shooter that is not effected by recoil. Gun fit and light payloads pay big dividends. We play the shooting games for entertainment, pain or the expectation of pain detracts from the enjoyment.

The olympic caliber shooters are athletes that train with top quality fitted guns and they are coached on all aspects including recoil management. They didn't just wake up one day and decide they were going to take a gold medal with that 870 express they got at wallmart yesterday.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As one who recovered from a debilitating flinch, I can absolutely say it is mental!

After self hypnosis techniques, I overcame the flinch, and now, have no problem with recoil. Part of the positive re enforcement I gave myself was the novel idea that not only would I press the trigger in a smooth and progressive manner, and stay in it as I stay in the gun itself, but also that recoil was not a negative thing. It meant the shell was effective and would destroy the target, and was a positive part of the shooting experience. It simply means that the freight is being delivered!

After several months, I not only lost my flinch, I shot a flat of heavy handicap loads in one day on the trap field, and did not flinch once. The recoil was heavy enough to where it began to feel like I was shooting without a shirt on a good sunburn! No Problem. However, I will not do that again.

Gun fit means a lot. I don't see a custom stock for most shooters. Perhaps an adjustable comb and proper length of pull, and reasonable loads.

Sports hypnosis to perform better and in a more positive manner while overcoming negative thoughts, patterns and habits has been used for some time.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Those Olympic shooters shoot so much their cheek and shoulder get numb so then they can't feel the recoil anymore. Maybe you don't shoot enuf'?

17. laura!

laura! Member

If recoil is a problem, you may want to check out a precision fit stock. Takes care of both gun fit issues and has great recoil reduction.

18. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

maybe you're a wuss !!!!!!!!!!! Yes I'll stick to my 7/8 load in 12 ga. too!!!!!!!!1

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jim,

Your just a (recoil) sensitive guy ... Probably the biggest problem would be gun fit as has been said ... I never was recoil sensitive until I shot a gun with a reducer in it and could tell the major difference once it was removed and my only thought was to have it put back in ... I have a PFS and for the amount of money you invest in shooting think its the best investment you can make for yourself in the long run ... I have a TM-1 with a Gracoil and have never had issues with recoil with it either but it does fit me close to right ... Fit, fit, and fit are very important issues when it comes to felt recoil ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Originator of post here---I am not a wuss (I hope) I have shot everything you can imagine 8 bore double for trukeys, 458's 357 H&H's, Sharps Buffalo Guns (a lot)and even a 4 bore! I am not new to the sport. I have carried a AA-27-A average and shot about 9,000 registered targets last year. I have hung every thing known to man with exception of a Robo on several different guns. The problem always comes back to face slap. I am 6-4, wide sholders and I have a hard time getting down on a stock. When I get my head down, I suppose the angle of my face to the stock is more than it should be and my cheek takes a beating. I have tried higher ribs to raise my head and then the butt won't reach down enough to be comfortable and consistant. I think I may need a gun with alot of drop so my butt plate will be in pocket and my face high enough to be comfortable. I have left the field many times with a noticable bruise. In cold weather, the skin on my cheek actually splits open. Go shoot you a hundred with a bleeding face and see how woosie you are! I do know three Olympic shooters and all three use Pirazzi's with unaltered, un weighted stocks.
    I know I need to come up with a grand or so and have somebody fit me to a stock but it's dammed hard to do when the dollars are tight and you don't know if the result will actually help.
    For those who tried to help tahnk you!
    For those with cutsie comments--may your gun kick hell out of you for the next year!
    jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.