1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does PW continue to put out the crappy plastic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I absolutely love my PW loader and when you upgrade to the EZ fill hopper it really makes it nice. I truely hope they read this.

The plastic base is not made from good materials period, it cracks, it lets the O ring flip over and causes all of us grief at some point. I purchased the aluminum one on here and problem solved but that is not the point of this post. The point of this post is WHY, WHY is PW still putting out a product that they KNOW is going bad? The only thing I can think of is they must of produced a mass amount of them and are sitting on them. They are wanting us to swallow there mistake. These are un-agruably a problem we know it and THEY know it. Its time to do something about it. PW please bless us with your great knowledge of why...

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Actually I have wondered that myself. I have also wondered why they do not make a better primer assy. The loader is excellent in all other aspects. I love my P2000 but would love it better if the primer assy were improved. As far as the plastic base, I bought the metal one Jim Skeel makes and solved that problem, no more static, no more plastic deteriation, no more jams

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

one word,,, "cost"

Bill, I have one of Jim's aluminum bases and it it nice. But , honestly, my original plastic base worked ok.

4. cubancigar2000

The metal base Jim makes will make you very happy.

5. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Likestoshoot,

Yes it is a problem. It will let the O ring turn over at some point and you wont realize it is obstructing your powder drops until you have loaded umptean many. Not a big deal to correct with Jim Skeels and I would reccomend it from the start.

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

JerryP,

It is NOT cost. They cast the original one from metal so why wouldnt they re-do it again this way?

Yes it may cost more than 49.95 but I am SURE people would pay the 79.95 if the product was a good one. I also had good luck with my plastic one. Heck guy from work did to and he came in one day disgusted and said "look at this". I thought hmmmmmm what a fluke and kept running mine. Not to long later SAME thing and same cracks.

7. himark

himark Well-Known Member

cubancigar,

Yes I am happy with Skeels...but point of the thread is WHY is PW putting out known garbage? And If I do get a response from them im sure it will read "we have not had any or that much trouble with them" So to head off that answer I have provided you with a link that PROVES they are problematic with the majority otherwise there would be NO market for Skeels.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=198979&Messages=69

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

himark ,To answer your question, cost. A lot of things that used to be metal are now plastic. Look at the underneath side of the press. That used to be solid aluminum, now it is honeycombed, cost savings. PW is under new management so maybe they are addressing these issues. I too am willing to pay more for better quality but apparently PW felt they needed to hold the line on the price. The primer tray assembly is past due for an upgrade.

9. cubancigar2000

I bet Whiz will jump in here

10. 1oz

1oz Member

Guess ,I have been lucky I have used mine for a couple of years now no problems but I do empty both shot and powder when I stop reloading at the end of the day. I never let either set in the hopper over night weither i'm reloading tomorrow or a week from now . But i do agree i would expect more from PW but i thought that way when plastic pistols started hitting the market . Maybe i got a good 1 .

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

PW is like any other company, you cut expenses to improve you bottom line and in so doing most of the time you put out a lesser product.

Plastic will always be cheaper to produce, but in some case's shouldn't be put into use in curtain places. Just take a look at your cars and trucks made today!

If you build something today, thats made to "last" you will have less and less future sale's. The money is in the parts and repair end of the business.

12. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I agree its cheaper and have no quams with them trying to help bottom line. I am just very upset they dont pull them from market because they are failing. They could build one at a higher cost im sure but have the issue of "what are we going to do with the last 4000 ones we have" or whatever. They have made a decision to try and pawn them off on us all instead of addressing the real problem head on. Im sure if they came out with a good one and the cost was more guys would pay it without hesitation. I can tell you that most guys on this forum will stand behind there word and make it right with you so why cant we expect that from PW? BTW, I dont want another plastic one or anything from them personaly I simply am dissappointed in there company integrity and thought it should be brought to light.

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have used these ever since they cam out, and, honestly, I have never had a problem. I hear that others do.

I can only assume that the two nylon tension screws located on the right side, which are used to give very gentle pressure on the Rack Gear, get tightened down too much, and this, in turn, causes the black base to raise up in the middle.

I have had some of Jim Skeel's aluminum bases and I even offer a service to convert the older cast aluminum base to one with risers to accept the hopper. I used one until my neighbor had to have it and now simply use the black plastic base with no problems.

I will try to add a pic of it if I can find it.

I use WST powder, a fine powder, and just have not have any problems with or any of the o-rings... but I do ship out a few o-rings from time-to-time.

If you guys would send your concerns to the factory (bruce@reloaders.com), perhaps they would consider doing the aluminum thing again. I worked for the brand new design primer rams which are now made with a thick gusset.

[​IMG]
    <BR>

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

14. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Company's today will only change their dissicions based on if enough people complain about the "same" problem.

What generally happens is someone like Skeels comes along with a "fix" and people buy the fix and nothing is said to the company. Hince the company continues to produce a faulty product.

15. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I know it was not the two nylon guide rack bolts because I never did even turn them down tight since the get go. As far as Bruce doing anything it will take a public outcry (hence my forum post) to have a better impact then one email. I seriously think they should upgrade this before people have to get to this stage.

16. STOS

STOS Member

Merry Christmas himark.I would like very much if you would give me a call here at Ponsness Warren.You can call me at 1 800 732-0706.Also anyone else interested in talking about our products please feel free in calling me at this toll free number. Merry Christmas to all. Dick Medley

17. capvan

capvan Active Member

IF I had a PW loader, I'd be engraving the above phone number on the wall somewhere. I do have a Mec loader and I have a magic phone number for a magic person at PW. A real lifesaver...

18. himark

himark Well-Known Member

FYI, I just visited with Dick and as a small business owner myself I sympathise with his position. I will retract my statement of integrity due to the fact if he is willing to discuss these problems then he is most likely a man of integrity. I never wanted to bash PW loaders since I run them and feel they are one of the best loaders on the market... but with one flaw. That flaw was like a hangnail that was bugging me. They are working on the problem and thats all I can ask for. Thanks Dick.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like my PW 2000. The problems mentioned above have never been a problem for me. Someone mentioned that the design will let the O ring slip and block powder flow. I didn't know there was an O ring. Guess I had better look next time I take the hoppers off. Another mentioned that he does not have a problem because he drains the shot and powder hoppers after each reloading session. My hoppers have never set empty for more than a few minutes when I am changing powder or shot. My press is several years old (6-7 I guess) and I load around 15,000 shells each year. My only complaint about the design is that when I drain the shot hopper and forget to close the drain opening. I suspect all PW owners know what happens.

Pat Ireland

20. Randy P

Randy P Member

I own an older 800B probably a 70's model, never had a problem with it until I bought the new plastic base, wanted to be able to change bushings easier, had those plastic screws in every position, still jammed with 7625 powder. Went back to the original base and havn't had a problem since. Would like to buy a new 800plus, but don't feel I should have to retrofit a new machine. I know the spolars are more, but am leaning toward the spoiler, have until April to make up my mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.