1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Promo Vary so much on PW

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Why does PROMO Powder vary +or- .5 grains on a PW Loader or is this normal w/PROMO POWDER. what should a normal variance be using a powder baffle or w/o powder baffle.

Does it vary more or less with heavier loads or lighter loads?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.lonhgshot

2. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

Longshot,we shoot in the winter cold just east of you in wis.with xt unsingle,what about water in the stubpipe when we take it in the warm house to clean it.............

3. mikelittle

mikelittle TS Member

I have had the same issues with promo.

4. mooster1223

mooster1223 Member

My press drops with a MAX variance of 0.2 gr using Promo. I have a auto drive hooked up though.

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I don't use Promo but Hodgdon Universal will vary .3 - .4 in my loader on some occasions. I have noticed that static electricity affects Universal more so than Clays so I wonder if that could have something to do with charge weight variations.

I have taken a dryer sheet and slid it down the powder drop tube and it seems to have helped for that reloading session. Also when I notice powder clinging to the sides of the powder bottle I check my powder drop weights more often than normal.

Bill

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My Acrylic reservoirs will reduce the variation. The powder reservoir has a baffle built into the bottom of the reservoir where it is more effective.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

skeeljc_2008_030381.jpg

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

So your baffle will stop powder from clinging in the drop tube due to static electricity?

The man asks a question and a snake oil salesman answers by hawking his product.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...what should a normal variance be using a powder baffle or w/o powder baffle."</i></blockquote>Run a PW without a powder baffle? I've never seen it done or even suggested! I would imagine that the drops would vary a lot without the baffle due to the weight of a hopper/tube full of powder on top of the drop.

Keller

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

What's with the personal attack?

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Doesn't vary on my machines; 800 Plus and Patriot.

WW

11. ziegmund

ziegmund Active Member

Jim Skeels product worked wonders on my 2000, did exactly what he said it would do, I use hogdon titewad and clays and the powder drops are within .1 grains from the first to the last. He is in no way a "snake oil salesman".

Eddie Thomas

12. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

I found using my pw that while loading shells make sure you apply the same pressure every time you go up and down on the handle .Is the press bolted down tightly etc ,because it vary somewhat remember powder does settle

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Is the press bolted down tightly etc ,because it vary somewhat remember powder does settle"</I></blockquote>Yes powder settles but that's the purpose of having a baffle in the works. The powder in the hopper/tube trickles around the baffle (V-shaped sheet metal in my 900s) and collects in the open space underneath. There's always enough for a couple drops but never so much that it settles under its own weight.

I've read that some guys put a weight on top of the powder in the hopper to get consistent drops. I must be missing something! The weight pushes on the powder ABOVE the baffle but the powder collected UNDER the baffle is doing its own thing and is not influenced by the weight up top.

The operator can influence the drop weight by how they cycle the press but I've only ever been able to vary it about ±.2 gn.

Keller

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My MEC 9000 Model 8567 only varies .2 grain I just checked it on 25 re-loads
    spot checked 7 times varying the weighing about every 5-6 shells.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Ground the press.

HBT

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have tried baffles on various loaders over the years. With my premium balance beam scales, my powder drops never varied with or without baffles
    CED

17. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Dr. Longshot,

I am probably on my 3rd 8 lb. container of Promo, and my older model 800C P/W press doesn't vary by more than a .1 of a grain. Some of the best metering powders I have used. Just my experience with it.

From South Texas.

Mike* (MH*)

18. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

My 800B/C conversion also varies, sometimes up to 1/2 grain.

Each keg of Promo I have loaded varies and requires constant weighing.

Regards....Gerald

19. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

Problems with the drop weights of Promo was driving a friend of mine crazy. He was using an electronic scale to conform the drops. Bottom Line? I talked to the guy who claims he invented Promo. It is made from two different powders. If the premium powder is too fast or too slow they mix it with another powder until they get a burn rate similar to Red Dot. Since the density of the two powders are different they will separate the denser (heavier) going on the bottom and the lighter on the top. He suggested shaking the bottle well before putting in the hopper. I can usually tell who is using promo at our club by the different level of noise it makes when it goes off. During the winter the problems mentioned about static electricity may also exacerbate the inconsistent powder drops.

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have never used Promo but I have used a lot of Red Dot. My PW can vary up to + or - .2 grains. So that will mean some shells could vary .4 gr from one to the next. I think that is about as good as you could realistically expect. That won't make any difference. Powder drops will vary, they all do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.