1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why does perazzi bluing suck

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Schultz, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Blueing wear on hard steel receivers is more common than the softer steel used in the Brownings and Berettas. Ljutics have super hard steel and the blue wears off in no time as well. The good news is the steel will last for many more years than the Brownings and Berettas.

Bob

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

This MX-15 was made in 1997, had over 40,000 rounds through,

[​IMG]

This MX-8 was made in 1989, had over 1,000,000 rounds through, it's a loaner gun from a shooting club in Asia, the most beat up Perazzi I've seen.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I have no complain on the finish. It's the operator's choice how the gun will look like down the road.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm like Steve W. I shoot a circa 85 Perazzi and continually get compliments on the condition of the gun. But there is a couple of reasons why. 1) I shoot with clean hands, and 2)i carry the gun with my hand under the forend wood and my thumb on top of the rib. If your hand sweats, it will eat blue off any gun. And 3) I clean the blue surfaces with rem-oil right after an event.

4. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

Maybe you have acidic hands,the curse of all toolrooms.This is a personal thing,don't blame Perazzi,its mom or dad.Regards Ross

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

ditto Kemen 053 and MIA. I've shot P guns for years and never had what I'd consider premature blue wear. I treat my guns well and they return they favor. Of course some would say that's because I don't shoot any one gun long enough for it to show wear!

6. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

wear gloves...I have a MX-3 with very little bluing wear.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Not a P gun and not blued. Browning Broadway and satin chrome finish. Never wears off.
    [​IMG]

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

1994 MX - Satin Chrome (looks like satin nickle). No blue wear for me, as I have acidic hands.

Was done by A&A Engraving here in Rapid City, by Mark Armstrong. He does most of the commemoratives you see on the inside covers of the NRA magazines.

He was reluctant to do it in chrome. He told me chrome really puts stress on metal. This, however, turned out absolutely 100% perfect.

I don't shoot a PFS - just tried one for a while and sold it off. Had a stock made for me by Perazzi, Italy.

WW

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's not bluing... the metal is dipped in the stuff that's left over from making wine.

MK

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If you bought the subject gun or trigger used, the problem area might have been "touch-up"ed with cold blue, those touch up bluing will come off very easy.

Trigger guard is the most common touch-up area on used guns.

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I bought a brand new citori in 1987, first day right out of the box I took it dove hunting, a few hours later i noticed my hands were darker than normal, I looked to see where the "oil" was coming from.. it was the blueing on the bottom of the receiver.. the blueing on it lasted about 3 hours, when I cleaned it that night the rest came off, it was bare metal silver on the bottom and has been that way since.. rust like crazy..
    my perazzi.. its a 80's model also.. no issues..

12. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

In my part of the country Brownings have the worst rap for rusting, we have a lot of humidity here. The Beretta Gold E has a plated receiver not blue IIRC so that's not a fair comparison, some of the Beretta's have a finish that is not really blue but is not shiny like a high polish blue Perazzi is. I think it is a combination of high polished alloy steel and the way people carry Perazzi's. It's hard not to carry them by the receiver, they balance so nice right there. The barrels on Perazzi's seem to hold blue as good as anything.

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Perazzi's hold up great in my humid area---I have friends that have them and no problems that I am aware of---I remember John Allem told me once that he changed the finish on his San Remo from blue to nickel because of ware---Guess it happens on all if the right care is not given---It's hard to alwaws carry so not to have blue wear----SJB---

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

hmm. My P gun is 5 years old, more or less, closing in on 100k rounds - between registered trap, skeet, leagues, practice, sporting, the whole works.

The only thing I do to it is what I did to every other gun I cared about - it's stored in a hard case in cloth gun bags. Before it goes in the case, it gets wiped off with Remoil...and put in the bag with NO fingerprints on it.

By that I mean I wipe down the muzzle half of the barrel, put the cloth bag on that end, hold it by the bag, and wipe off the receiver end of the barrel, then put the bag the rest of the way on....so that it goes into the bag "untouched by human hands" if you will.

5 years, and its still 99%.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have found that if you have a new gun ..a light coat of Johnson Paste wax...then a wiping down with a rag sprayed with white lithium grease will protect those high waer areas...even those long tangs that turn gray/white in no time

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've found that wiping the entire metal surface down with Breakfree/Tri-flo/Rem Oil.. has prevented most all the blue wear issues on all of my firearms.. I also wear gloves most of the time..

17. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I know gloves are great but not in 90+ deg heat---The wipe down is the answer and works best for me---JMT---SJB---

18. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I give very little attention to the "suck" and "what the furck" guys. I could personally care less whether he shoots a rusty gun or not. I doubt that he is an ATA shooter unless he is a kid.

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Don't put a hot or even warm gun in any kind of case.

20. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

I agree with all of you about the Perazzi bluing but you should think about this: everything on the market has got a defect but in this case their bluing is not a defect or a mistake but it's a necessity because to have those results on the olimpic field and on the local trap field it is necessary use a type of steel and that type of bluing. For example the barrels are tin solder and you can never see a beautiful bluing because if you try with a hot bluing they could be a chance that they will come apart and you all know also that to give the maximum performance and flexibility they are not cromed inside like everybody do.
    PS:they are overpriced

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does perazzi bluing last

perazzi blue sucks

perazzi nickel or blue

perazzi touch up blue

rebluing a perazzi

rebluing perazzi barrels

rusting perazzi barrels