1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does no one want to live here?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smokerz, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Britton, SD, a sweet little town. Good schools K-12. Cheap houses. Low taxes. Almost no crime. Educated population. Good medical care. No anti-gun, probably 95% of families are gun owners. Great hunting and fishing.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Britton-South-Dakota.html

Is the good weather in California worth so much more?

2. blazer49

blazer49 TS Member

mmmmmmmmmm first. it gets colder than a well digger's backside in the winter. second. there are no BMW dealers in town. third. i can't shoot trap year round. forth. my taxes are pre-prop 13. fifth. if i need serious medical care, the best hospitals and doctors in the world are 15 minutes away. COSTCO is three miles from my house, my beagle loves it here, my SO is Asian, and last but not least, yes, the weather is worth a heck of a lot.

i have considered moving. the "peoples' republic of california does have it's drawbacks. but it is just a plane ride away from Britton, South Dakota and a friendly smile.

PS.... maybe some day

3. incognito

incognito TS Member

Simple answer.........

Jobs???????????

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Being from Sioux Falls, two words come to mind: Cold/Wind. Two things I can definately live without. I'll take California any day. I once heard that the population of the entire state of South Dakota is less than the city of San Jose, in California. I have to agree with blazer49, above. Just not enough incentive to get me to leave the comforts and the convienience of what I have....Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

smokerz- You like your home and are proud of your region of SD. That is good. It can be difficult for you to understand why others might not like it as you do. I have the same problem. I simply cannot understand why anyone would live outside of the South. At least you don't live in ND. All I can say is that people have different tastes.

Pat Ireland

6. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Pat Ireland -

**smokerz- You like your home and are proud of your region of SD.**

Sorry if I wasn't clear, Pat. I don't live in Britton, I've just visited there, hunting pheasants. Actually I live in the South, 150 miles from you.

I just posted that because Britton has many of the things prople claim they want - low costs and taxes, good schools, low crime. Yes, as the guy from Sioux Falls said, the weather is lousy, windy all year and coooold in the winter.

It was sort of a follow up on the "why is California so expensive" thread. As it turns out, most folks would rather pay the high CA prices than endure the cold and isolation of a sweet (and it really is) little town like Britton.

7. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Probably can't find a job there making a decent living.

8. Lyle

Lyle Member

Pat,
    I grew up in ND and would not have left if there were decent jobs to be had. I have since grown to really like the West and probably won't move "home" until I retire. Then I will spend October hunting ducks and geese and pheasants and then go back to Idaho to fish for steelhead for the winter.
    Then I might shoot trap in the spring between salmon fishing trips...........gosh, I wish I was retired now! ha.

I'm glad you like the South---It has never grown on me at all.

Lyle

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Why didn't you ask them while you were there?

10. Capt. Jack

Capt. Jack TS Member

I wonder why?

WEDNESDAY - Windy - colder. Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts to around 50 mph.

Jack Foster Tucson

11. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

Silver Dollar 81 the high 61 the low northeast wind near 10 mph 0% rain.

12. willing

willing Member

The little town I live in in NC was 1 of 10 best to retire in several years ago. Since then there has been 4000-5000 new homes announced around the area. Prices from 150K to 2Mil. guess what is going to happen to highways schools etc??
    Keep quiet!!

Bill

13. nicky

nicky Member

I live in Warren County Pa. and it was listed in the Progressive Farmer publication, out of Birmingham Al. as "number 2" in the best places to live in rural America this pass year. Go to Goggle and type in Progressive Farmer to see the article they have been printing since 1896. We have been hit economically like everwhere but we have lots of places to shoot and hunt and fish. We have 17 trap clubs within a 1 hours drive, and of them 5 hold ATA registered shoots plus skeet and sporting clay clubs. The hunting is as good as anywhere with farm land and the Allegheny National Forest close by. Yes we have the snow and cold and yes we get tired of it but no hurricane's very few tornado's, earthquake's, drought's, flooding no volcano's, as of now few illegal's so all in all not a bad place to be. If any shooters want to check the area out, a number of the trap clubs here have camping and 1 club has a cottage for rent.,Kevin

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yep ... Britton is a great little town and almost the entire town supports the best dang demonic candidate ... Senator Clinton ... dang she is hot!!!

South Dakota can be a cold cold cold and I mean cold place in the winter and it always seems the winters there in the prairie states seem a little longer than other places. I dont know why or how but winter in that part of the country normally starts around late September or very early October and continues all the way to very late May or early June and them BWAMMO ... a couple weeks of spring, a very HOT summer and then a week or so of fall and BWAMMO ... the blizzards of winter starts again ... nice place in the spring and fall but not worth the scorching summer or icelandic cold of the winter.

I'm going to PA ... Nicky ... got room in the garage? I'll bring my own shells.

15. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Lump - **Yep ... Britton is a great little town and almost the entire town supports the best dang demonic candidate ... Senator Clinton ... dang she is hot!!!**

Actually Bush/Cheney carried Britton by a small majority.

You're correct about the weather.

Britton's cheap, California is expensive...location, location, location.

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Not all of SD is "cold, cold, cold." In fact, out here in Western SD in the Black Hills it's been in the 60's and 70's. I've been in shorts almost entirely. Wife and I were talking that maybe we should have waited to blow out out the sprinkling system.

My next door neighbor had his running all last evening.

I can remember mowing the yard on Xmas day a couple of years ago.

Oh, it can get cold, but getting below zero is an anomaly. It can snow too, but it melts soon after hitting the ground-problem is we don't get as much of it as we have in the past. That has hurt skiing up round Deadwood/Lead the past several years. I had a picture of the snow last year, and in 2-3 days all of it was gone and the grass was green.

I can remember a couple of years ago we went over 600 days without any below zero days, and I can't remember it ever getting that cold in all of last year.

Nice thing about it here is the low humidity, and very few bugs. It's 9:18AM as I type this and is 57ยบ. Looks like it will be another beautiful day in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

This photo is of a late snow storm of pretty good depth, but the ground is pretty warm as can be seen on the driveway where it had melted.

If this place were any nicer, we'd have problems with people moving here. Glad that won't happen for some time. I grew up in CA and lived in TX, MO, TN. I would not change this place for any other. And, the hunting and fishing is great too!

[​IMG]
    IMHO

Whiz

17. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I bet you would be surprised at how many people WOULD like to live there but can't! Don't be mislead!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.