1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does K80 + AA reload = blow up?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Avaldes, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I know this sounds like a troll, but this is a serious question. Why do we hear about K80's blowing up and it is always a reloaded AA HS in the chamber? Why not other combinations of gun and shell?

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Just where do hear about these happening?? Fiction or fact??

Don

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

They were blowing up before there were AAHS hulls.

4. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

Shot 20,000 AA reloads through my K-80 last year. Looking forward to the next 20,000 this year.

Remember, trapshooters will say anything to get into your head to make you second guess things. It's a strategy many use to try to be on top.

Ignore 90% of what you hear, formulate your own opinion and go straight!!

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Its not the hull, it's the powder that is the problem. HMB

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've seen a picture of a K-80 receiver blow up on here, but I have never heard it tied to an AA hull. When I do 'roll my own' I use Winchester or compatable components and never had a problem running them through my K-80. Mike.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

How many times have we all read a thread on AA hulls seperating from their metal base? Or Paper hulls doing the same thing. I was told if you shoot paper hulls you only reload the paper 2 times then drop them on the ground. After a number of reloading they get weak and start to fall apart. I have seen this happen at rangers from time to time but was caught by the shooter. Could a hull fall apart in the barrel and have the base just come out and the shooter not know it? They have changed the way they make their hull a number of times. Which hull is better and which is dangerous I don't know. I shoot STS hulls.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

K80's blow up with green Remington STS hulls also.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It's not the gun. It's the components of the shell or the shooter not checking his barrels that is the problem. Mike.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Nearly all blow-ups are caused by careless reloading practices or barrel obstructions, period.

Having said that, a gunsmith and hard-core trapshooter I trust told me that Krieghoff did have some materials/heat-treating problems with the early K80s and that he personally witnessed one of the blow-ups. He also said he believes Krieghoff's product since then is as stout and safe as anything out there. And this is from a guy who knows which guns are stout - he shoots protection loads that you couldn't pay me to shoot -- sometimes from the 100 yard line (Isn't it interesting that most of the first-hand K80 blow-up stories come from people who engage in "experimental" reloading?)

Shoot normal loads, made properly, and keep your barrel clear, and you will never live long enough to blow up a K80 (or any other shotgun built for trapshooting).

-Gary

11. TOOLMAKER 251

Gary, I learned long ago "don't believe nothing you hear, and half of what you see" Was this expert gunsmith in the ThyssenKrupp steel plant the day they poured that batch of questionable steel? This K-80 failed due to operator error,not a bad batch of steel.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I hear you, TM251, but if one can operate a Rockwell hardness tester and do some basic metallurgical microscopy, they can tell that the heat-treating wasn't right.

And again, don't miss the first sentence of my original post.

-Gary

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

So far none of the statements, or conclutions would hold up at trial. Not near enough evidence.

14. TOOLMAKER 251

Gary, but my question was how did this expert gunsmith come to say that in the early days of the K80 there was a bad batch of steel that was used in the making of some barrels and or receivers?

15. chipking

chipking TS Member

Several years ago we had a rash of reported blowups that went on for a year and a half or so and then just ended. I can tell you that it was NOT just K-80s or AAs. I lost over a years worth of pictures and information that I had collected from the folks whose guns blew up when my last computer died and I am still trying to recover what was on it BUT there were pictures of K-80s, Perazzis, Caesar Guerinis, Savages and Kolars in that file as well as AA and Remington hull remains. The data also included several different powders by both Alliant and Hodgdon. A lot of theories were brought forward BUT no real answer for what had occurred was ever found. At least 2 of the guns involved were examined by HP White labs and no material or manufacturer problems were found. The only common thing noted was what appeared to be extreme over pressure. All of the incidents that I had info on were with reloads. I shared a few copies of what info I had with a couple of posters here on TS.com so hopefully the info still exists.

--- Chip King ---

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I never mentioned the term "bad batch of steel." I said materials/heat-treating. Perfect steel, improperly heat-treated can still be defective from an UTS specification standpoint.

But why argue, when we are of like mind? Let me say it again...

"Nearly all blow-ups are caused by careless reloading practices or barrel obstructions, period."

"Shoot normal loads, made properly, and keep your barrel clear, and you will never live long enough to blow up a K80 (or any other shotgun built for trapshooting)."

-Gary

17. TOOLMAKER 251

Chip King, The Savage blow up was the one I submitted, but my last notebook also went south and losing all my .jpegs On the Savage the rupture started in the extractor cut pocket which runs parallel with the monobloc between the chambers. The thickness between the sharp corner in that extractor pocket and the chamber wall was only about 1/16" and that's where the stress riser occurred. At that same club where this happened, another shotgun came apart this past summer. The gun was a KS-5 and I read the report from HP White that stated the catastrophic event was due to extreme pressure and not from metal fatigue. The older gentleman who was shooting the KS-5 was not injured and using reloads, was offered a new KX-5 at a reduced cost and he took the offer.

18. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Chip, here is a link to a thread still on Shotgun World from 08 about a Perazzi and a Winchester 101 blow ups. the pictures of the 101 are still up at the bottom of the first page, unfortunately the Perazzi pictures are no longer available. I find it interesting that in the description of the 101 blow up the shooter apparently had a hang fire before the blow up. To me that points more to detonation and the pictures look like a stick of dynamite went off in the chamber.

I have personally seen several guns that had stuck wads, the worst had a slightly split barrel, the rest were just bulged. The blow ups come from extreme over pressure whether from detonation or a grossly misloaded shell in my opinion.

Unfortunately we will most likely never know what causes this extreme destruction, As far as I know detonation has never been proved in a shotgun shell.

JohnR

19. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

I have probably 150000 rounds thru my K-80 using every shell along the way.

Very reliable gun. One of the best built. Don't let anyone tell you diff.

20. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Actually, I am surprised there are not more "blow-ups" due to operator error and "amateurs" trying to load their own shells. Guess I am overly cynical having worked in human resources for too many years witnessing people making "dumb mistakes" time after time after time. Recently, a motorcyclist passed me going about 50 mph in a 45 mph zone, sort of sitting side-saddle on the bike while "text-messaging"! Also, a lady passed me on the Interstate in an SUV while eating a bowl of cereal. Look around you...the careless and the foolish are everywhere. Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.