1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does it always seem so?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Have you ever wondered why you always seem to get 3 or more hard rights when you shoot off post 5? But you will also notice when you go to post 1, you will get 3 or possibly 4 hard lefts. It happens to me all the time and I have been pondering the law of averages and it makes no sense to me and has no logical explanation. I'm not complaining about this phenonom, but wondered if it only happens to me. It also seems everyone else is getting my straight aways and other easy, easy targets!

I have accepted this "law of averages" now and have come to expect it. Everytime I go to the line, I know this is going to happen so I am mentally prepared. I do not fear them anymore and have trained very hard for shooting these extreme angles. Heck, sometimes now I'm even disappointed if I fail to get my full quota of hard angles! Biff

2. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I understand completely.
    Don

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Biff, I understand completely. After taking up trap again after forty years, I thought that the hard rights and lefts were assigned to me exclusively. After working on them, I love 'em now. My weakness is a "lazy" left.

PS - I was given a drill to help on the hard rights and lefts. I moved to the equivalent of stations 6 and 7, and -1 and -2. The hard rights and lefts are really moving. It really helps.

PS - Any suggestionsd on the lazy lefts?

Best,
    Dennis

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Been there myself many more times than seems right.

5. biff

biff Active Member

Dennis, is a "lazy left" one that comes zinging out of the house and starts going low and drops just as you shoot? I feel your pain, I've had many of them and KNOW the loader in the traphouse recognizes my call and does something drastic to the trap which causes this. If after he sees he can't throw anything I can't hit, he will then turn his attention to one of the other weak shooters on the squad, after that all my angle targets are just plain hard!

Always on posts 1 & 5 I stand with my feet angled so those hard lefts or rights are merely straightaways and if that isn't enough I will hold past the opposite corner of the traphouse which will give me blistering speed and that hard left is just a piece of cake!! Got that? Biff

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

You really don't get that many...it's just that any bird that is more than a quarter angle, "looks" like a hard angle from 1 or 5.

I'd love to get all hard angles from the corners...because I know what to do on those...just shoot in front of 'em!

My problem is the opposite...when I stand on the corner...especially from 27...the f'in thing keeps throwing damn straightaways! I feel like I have to cant my gun sideways to hit those or something...it's totally false, just feels that way (and no Neil, I've patterned it, and it doesn't shoot 4" to the side...).

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Station 1 are all lefts and 5 are all rights. That is if set according to the rule, guideline. Hap

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I took a little set up from the skeet leagues I shoot.

I setup my mount were I plan on breaking a hard angle, and then like loading a spring swing the mounted gun back to a good starting point when the bird comes out, I just let the swing happen.

But as Buzz Gun said, those darn straightaway birds, those get in my head and nothing but grief!

Al

9. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Biff, my definition of the "lazy" left is the one that comes midway between straight-away, and the hard left. It's not that difficult a shot, but it really gives me Excedrin Headache #388.

Best,
    Dennis

10. biff

biff Active Member

Dennis, what gun are you shooting? These are called quarter angles in my book and are a tricky shot to make. Biff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.