1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHY DOES BROWNING REFUSE TO FIX ALTERED GUNS?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    a friend of mine says that Browning will refuse to work on an altered gun? why?
    are they the only gun company that has this policy?
    steve balistreri

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Many companies will not work on and stand behind a firearm that has had aftermarket alterations.

This is something to be considered when having barrel or other work performed on your favorite clay target cruncher. (sigh)

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

because it expands their legal exposure in our ever increasingly litigious society...

4. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Browning is not pro consumer.

This one of Browning´s lame policies which keeps consumers from buying their guns. Good thing there are plenty of fish in the pond.

Berettaman7

5. alf174

alf174 Member

If you were a manufacturer, would you warranty your product after someone else has altered it?

6. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I am not so sure that your friends experience is true in all cases. No so at all for me. I won't go into it on this thread but my experience was extremely positive and my barrel had been massaged. They have rules established by management after legal consult. They also have competent level headed and practical employees who understand shooting and shooters. I would bet on a positive result for the persistant and earnest person with a problem.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

They are liable for the "entire" gun if they accept it. That is why they wont accept it for work.

Gene

8. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Browning and other manufacturers look at the gun as an entity, and not its component parts.

As Rick cites, I don't know what a cracked stock has to do with porting, but if Browning's policy is to not work on altered guns, then the gun was altered.

There are lots of cases where manufacturers have been held liable for things over which they have no control. In my college days, I took commercial law. We had several case studies in which manufacturers were held liable for things like misuse of their products. One, in particular, had a lawn mower manufacturer held liable because some moron used it for a hedge trimmer, and lost his fingers. Another had a stamping press manufacturer held liable when a scrapped press was not shredded, altered by a third party, and cost the user his hand when the lockouts were defeated. Both were upheld, even on appeal.

Best,
    Dennis

9. oletymer

oletymer Member

Duhh!!

10. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

Why would somebody send the barrel if he just needed a stock repair?

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

My only experience with Browing was very favorable. At the Grand I took in my Citori Plus that had an after market recoil reducer and pad installed, forcing cones extended and Briley extended choke tubes in the barrel. For a flat $35 they installed new firing pins, replaced something in the triggers, greased and cleaned it and handed it back to me. They also said at one time someone had release triggers installed and removed. They could tell by some gunsmithing they could see that had been done.
    I can't complain about Browning.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

As a former motorcycle mechanic I agree with Browning. Gave a guy a tune up, timing, plugs, etc. He came back with a blown transmission. Asked me if I "stood behind" my work.

It's just not worth it. Although conmmon sense would say a cracked stock has nothing to do with the business end someone would have to pay a lawyer to argue the point.

Lots of dumb people out there wanting someone else to shoulder their responsibility.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.