1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why does a trapshooter, stop shooting a good gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

as i look at my rack of trapguns- i see several i can shoot very well! and i ask myself- why did i put that one up?---- i heard a friend of mine mention that he "had" a browning broadway, that he shot the heck out of!!! why is it gone??? -- WHY, do WE do that?

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Because we knew the need for change long before it became PC.LOL, Bob

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

variety is the spice of life.

tony

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I was once told that trap shooters have very small brains and are easily confused. HMB

5. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

It's sorta like a weak man meeting a beautiful woman, infatuation with the looks and the newness can lead him to make a big mistake. The same can happen with a good looking, reliable,super efficient trapgun. I sure wish I had my old 870tc with the Stan Baker 34" bbl back.

6. Lefty19

Lefty19 TS Member

The new gun on the shelf is always better until purchased...

Always looking for a little better....

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

It might be just the opposite for some shooters also. I generally trapshoot with a BT-99 and a Citori Trap. Two great gun, at least at my price level. But, I own a Beretta 391 Urika Trap Optima that I can crush targets with. Round for round I think I shoot better with it. I bought it back a few years ago for when my shoulder acts up (it is a very soft shooter) and so I break it out on occasion. I for some reason can't bring myself to shooting it on a regular basis. Why? I don't know.

8. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Because they can't shoot 100s with it every day. I mean the gun that will give me an extra 5-10 birds is out there somewhere, isn't it?

It is also easier & cheaper that getting a new spouse every couple of years, and for some, even more exciting!

9. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

monkey see monkey do

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

well here is my 2 cents and a little more. i have been shooting trap since 1970. i have owned over 100 hundred trap guns, some i have broken 100 straights with, some i have shot 97's in handicap. when i start shooting really good, i got bored, and started looking for a new gun. i have been married 36 years, have never cheated on my wife, but when it comes to guns, i am like a no good cheaten husband. how many times i got a case of the "gotta haves" and purchased a new gun. before i paid for the gun i ran a 25, once i put the green backs on the table, the magic was gone. part of the problem is the game itself. how many games require absolute perfection? in bowling you do not have to roll 300 to win. we are always looking for that extra target to get us into the winners circle. worst thing that happened to me as well as some other shooters is when we break our first 100 straight. we start thinking we are good, and in reality it was just a fluke. on the first day i started shooting, vic reinders told me to purchase an 870 tb, don't trade or sell guns, and use the money you didn't spend on purchasing guns, and use it to shoot. did i listen to old vic? hell no, biggest mistake i ever made. when i had money in my pocket, it was burning a hole through my pants. i would trade guns, if money was short, i would than trade stocks, or barrels, or recoil pads, or beads, front and middle. this is a illness, this sport promotes it. i truly respect the shooter who keeps 1 gun to shoot, i would say he is mentally stable compared to some of us.
    steve balistreri

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Because it's cheaper, and safer, than switching wifes....

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

To reach greatness with any shotgun requires work.. and lots of it.. A proper fitting gun makes things a little bit easier.. The problem is..by the time we get really comfortable with a shotgun..especially my older shooting buddies..OUR conditions change.. We constantly look for a gun thats as easy to shoot as old blue.. instead of refitting a gun.. we buy new ones.. often lighter.. longer.. shorter..more adjustable etc...

Having said this.. if you go to a live bird shoot.. the cream of the crop plays there.. If you see an old Perazzi.. or SuperX-1.. tattered stock.. dirty grip tape.. worn bluing.. Watch the shooter.. Money is no issue here.. The man with the bright,shinny,new,engraved gun is but a "contributor"..

There is an old man I watch.. and once in a while shoot with in Italy.. He's in his 80's..small,frail.. maybe 90 pounds wet.. he shoot an OLD,tired Comp1 O/U in bunker.. short barrels.. bluing mostly gone.. His bad days are 22/25 in Olympic bunker.. 24's and a few 25's are the norm.. He's never had a different gun.. nor does he want one.. From what was translated to me on that issue was... "buy the best you can for tomorrow.. and learn to shoot it today.. Then.. you'll always have the right gun..".. looking at his score card.. I think he has something..

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Most shooters have neither the skills nor the mindset to be winners, therefore the journey is more interesting than the destination. Shooting and owning different guns is part of enlarging the journey.

14. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Sometimes its just fun to learn a new gun. Sometimes the deal is to good to pass up. Its all part of shooting. Of course if your married with 3 daughters like me your lucky to have 2 guns.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

EVERY shooter can make it to the winners circle.. just how bad do you want it...???? AND.. it's not the arrow.. and usually not the shell.. or the choke..

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Why did Cristy Brinkleys man get caught entertaining the sitter?

17. acss

going to a trapshoot and not lloking at guns in the vendor tents is like going to the beach and not swimming or not looking at the girls!!! i think i love the feel of guns MORE than the feeling of long strings of broken rocks!!

18. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I have been shooting trap seriously for a little over two years. So far, I have pretty much stuck with one gun (a Browning XT). I had a short affair with a Browning recoilless...a nice gun, but I recently sold it, and I am back to my XT.

I have had 100-straight's with both the XT and the Recoilless. I have also had some 93's, or lower...

In the meantime, I have been fortunate to shoot with friends who are generous about loaning me their Perazzis, Krieghoff's, and Guerini's...and a Model 12 or two.

It seems to me that I initially shoot the "new" gun better than mine, but that seems to wear off pretty quickly. Could be the "new gun syndrome".

In the meantime, I am trying to be faithful to and hang on to my XT...but it is not easy...kinda like a marriage.

bluedsteel

19. acss

bluedsteel-- here is a test-- walk up to a rack of guns that a vendor has forsale---- in that approach, does one of them say "pick me up" or "own me"???

20. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

The Devil makes us do it!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.