1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you use a mid-bead?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use one to help establish gunfit so I can eliminate canting the gun. After that, I remove it as it serves no useful purpose after that.

For POI work, I focus on the comb adjustments. The sight line between ones eye and front bead is what determines the POI. The mid-bead is just something to confuse the whole situation. I don't get the whole Figure 8 bead stack thing.

ss

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Your logic makes perfect sense but for me seeing that perfect figure-8 when my face is into the stock is very comforting. It tells me that I'm holding the gun exactly as I did when I've shot my best and that I can just look & shoot instead of worrying about the gun. To each his own, I guess.

-Gary

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Depends what your preference of reference is.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

On games allow me to pre-mount my gun, I'd like to see the mid bead is in the right place, then I call the bird after I move my focus into the field.

5. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I don't use one. My stock fits. When I put it up I don't even consider the beads, mid or front.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Jerry944t,

I see that you have a proper fitting gun and focus where you should be. It's amazing how easily the gun follows when it fits like it should.

ss

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Face pressure alone can vary your shot placement. With out a mid bead, please tell me how you determine proper face pressure. Yes, this is a trick question.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Setterman,

How do you know that your "face pressure" is the same throughout your swing? The better trick answer!

ss

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Only three months to go 'til SPRING!!

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Middle bead? Oh I see it now!

Remember to look at the target not the barrel you dummy!

Ronbo

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Time to get a face pressure meter. Wait a few minutes & someone will tell you how their meter works. Most likely has 3 colors red, yellow & green- If your front bead changes color your face pressure is off. Ok engineers something to make, that we can sell at next years grand & will be offered in Shotgun Sports with glowing reviews.

Phil Berkowitz

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I use mine to hang my thong to dry out on those hot summer days!!

Curt

13. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I think when you're not shooting you can set here and think about those beads and what you're doing with them by stacking, FIG. 8'n and aligning them, burrying your face or slight face pressure against the stock and all that jazz, seems like a big consious decission at the time. But when your shooting and the gun fits good all this alignment stuff is done in a very, very short time. Less than a second, probably milliseconds. SS I think you are 110% correct, most shooters are not paying alot of attention to that mid-bead. To me it's a reference point that requires no concentration on it. I have these mid-beads on target guns and my next time out I think I'm gonna black it out with a Sharpie and see what happens.

14. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I read an article in Trapshooting USA about a pretty fair trap shooter that said that was one of the last things he did before calling pull was to check his bead allignment. That was Leo H. who along with numerous other world class skeet shooters. They realize that their hasn't been a shooter born yet that can get 100% perfect mounts. They make sure they do.

15. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

i check bead alignment before i say pool , the i dont seem em again untill the next time i mount up.

Showdawg

16. brownk80

brownk80 Member

As I get older and my eyes get worse I use it to look at because I can't see the front bead anymore!!

Brownk80

17. OVBILL

OVBILL TS Member

I have a little problem, been using Keensights now for several years, with the single groove and green glow pipe up front, no middle bead (works well for me)

I just bought a new barrel for me (great transaction here on Trapshooters.com via GN7777777) with Bradley beads, white at the muzzle, silver mid bead,

here's the problem, my vision from in close to a couple of feet out, has got to the point were I now use reading glasses. vision past that is fine

so when I was dry firing (Terry's Wall Chart) with the new barrel the middle bead is blurred, never noticed how bad I was getting till now, have any of you folks used the HI-Viz, EZ-Hit, or Uni-Dot, without using a Mid bead, or should I be calling Vicki

I don't want to lose my focus out over the trap house, before I'd just take a millisecond check of the figure 8 alignment, then get the eyes out there, I'm afraid if I getting thinking about the mid bead too much, I'll lose my focus, were it should be

any suggestion would be appreciated

Bill Cameron

18. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

I actually take off my glasses to check the middle bead/snowman with the front bead when I am adjusting the comb. After that I occasionally mount the gun with my eyes closed, when I open them I check the snowman/figure 8 to see if I have the right cheek pressure. I also helps to think about steering the gun with your cheek. Put the full choke in and start shooting.

19. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

i think a center bead helps in getting the same sight picture, and knowing your head is down on the stock...i know from turkey hunting, i have the same kind of white beads on my 870 mag, that i use for turkeys as i have on my target guns, and when they are stacked i am looking down the barrel...dk

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bill just a thought here you said.

"I don't want to lose my focus out over the trap house, before I'd just take a millisecond check of the figure 8 alignment, then get the eyes out there"

How often do you remount based on the millisecond check for figure 8 alignment? If not often why do you feel a need to use the beads in that fashion???

I never look at either bead for any reason. I am not saying not to continue on with what you are doing. I am saying you need to think about whether the bead check is splitting your focus. Due to the blurriness you need ask yourself if the bead check is a necessity.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why a mid bead