1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you shoot Trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

When I was a young man I shot Trap for the competition. I wanted to win----every time. I really focused on winning. Money, buckles, silver, glass trinkets, Those were important. They, some of them anyway, looked good (I thought) in my office. The money, well it never paid for the cost of the shooting, but I didn't care I just wanted to win-every-time. Much like in the business world I lived in the rest of the time. Now, after 37 years of shooting, I still enjoy winning but it's no longer my entire focus. Today I like the companionship, tinkering with my guns, making shot, and reloading something new and better. Perhaps, Trap shooting has become a hobby rather than a competition. Winning is no longer everything. I think I may enjoy it more today than I did 37 years ago.

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I was thinking along the same lines, recently. I got into the sport about 20 years ago just to sharpen my eye for the pheasants. It got into my blood and now five guns later it still is my main hobby. I think af all the friends I've made and good times I've had and I'm so gratefful that I have stuck with it. The competition is fun but it's secondary to the social aspect of the sport, IMO. Bill

3. schneep

schneep Member

I like to shoot trap, period, I try everytime to be as good as I can be. But it is not a life or death thing like some people I have met along the way.

4. warren

warren Member

My dad introduced me to trapshooting when I was 15 ( I am now 79) and I liked it the first time I did it. I've tried golf and water sports and there is nothing that I have found that I enjoy as much. Woodworking comes in a close second but this is the sport that I enjoy the most and I will continue to enjoy until I can no longer hold a shotgun up.

warren

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I shoot because it is the one thing in my life that does not demand anything of me. The guys at the two clubs are friends, we enjoy some laughs, shoot some excellent targets, reload, fix guns, you name it. Additionally, I do shoot some ATA targets and that is fun too. So it is about people and fun that can had by all, not the money.....spent, won, or loss! Hit them all and take a kid shooting.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I shoot trap so that I will have more hulls to reload!

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

The pursuit of perfection! What other sport can you participate in where you need to be perfect to win?

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I needed a way to get rid of extra money before my wife spends it :p

-Gary

9. Slugo

Slugo Member

same reason I have sex! Enjoyment...

10. K-Hornet

K-Hornet Member

To keep from going crazy. But after I miss a bird in the first five on the 16 rd. line, I thing I AM CRAZY....Al

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Because the range 10 minutes away from me only has trap. Anything else is 45 minutes to an hour drive.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

All of the Above

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It's sorta like havin' your own fireworks show.

Bob Falfa

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I started because I grew up pheasant hunting with my dad in Iowa (never was as good as him) and it simulated our hunting with german shorthairs, also was good off season practice. My 1st trip to a trap club with a couple friends was quite an experience because I never knew that there was anything like that, (just a Fri. night practice & derby), we did shoot barn pigeons in the fall. My second trip with those same 2 "sneaky devils" did me in when I found out they played GAMES, brother-in-laws, Annie Oakley's, follow the leader, etc. Then I got into a little registered (ATA lifer). Now just an occasional day at the club for a couple rounds of practice with friends. Do still act as scorekeeper for registered at a club I belong to. So I guess I would have to say I just shot for FUN. Ross Puls

15. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Because im too fat to ride a bike, im to short to play basketball, im too slow to play baseball, I have a terrible golf swing, sometimes the fish dont bite, theres nothing to hunt in the summer time, my wife would rather I do that then drink beer, and because I know it is something I can improve at and its a challenge, atleast for me it is......

16. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

Because the trap range is much closer than the nearest sporting clays course.

17. treefrog

treefrog TS Member

All of the above and cheap beer to boot

18. broadwaybill

broadwaybill Member

Because I can

Fifteen Two And A Pair Is Four

19. maka

maka Member

Friend invited me several times to go shoot at local club Sunday afternoon. in the beggining I told I have other things to do, (excuse). Eventualy I gave in and went with my Savage double barrel 20ga. Shoot about eight but had a good time. Thirty years latter a trying to always win, as stated it has become a hobby. The friends and commradary with other shooters is priceless!!!

In addition many new and used qaulity trap guns have made the trip exceptionally terriffic!! My wife also enjoys me hunting them orange birds she says they are esayer to cook.

20. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Everything yote said applies to me. Plus, I'm too dumb for chess or solving crossword puzzles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

karen dickman sporting clays