1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why do you shoot ATA targets?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Why do you shoot ATA targets?. Is it for the money or the trophies? The reason i am asking this is i just read the Northeast Grand Program and I see some issues that need changed as well as other shoots. i would like to see a true response. I personally shoot for the trophies and attainment pins just as my parents did. I love the sport and most of the people in the sport. I think the Ata hit the nail on the head at this years grand. This was very important and this thread will prove that. I will explain later after i read threads. thank you very much.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Neither, Earl. I started shooting registered targets because I want to be the best shooter that I can be. It is hard to shoot much practice at the local clubs, unless you are happy shooting 50 to 100 targets per day. Since I started to register targets I have met many new friends that I would miss if I quit shooting registered. I only play the lewis in handicap and any trophy is a bonus. Bill Malcolm

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Both.

Plus enjoyment, attainment, the challenge, the socializing. Lots of reasons.

4. Bob M

Bob M Member

I would echo what Beretta 687EELL said. I want to be the best shooter I can be. Shooting 100 birds at a shot really helps more than just practice. In fact,jumping from our local 25 16's and 25 handicap league to 100 of each plus doubles at an ATA shoot required a pretty big change in my mindset. After two traps, I was ready to sit down, have a soda and give my buddy Red a hard time. I have found, in my limited experience, that I learn more at an ATA shoot than at practice or our local 50 bird league. I wish I could get Red to shoot more ATA shoots so I could pick on him after each 100.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I want to be a little better than I was 6 months ago. The friends I have made shooting ATA events are very important to me.

Pat Ireland

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

by the way this years grand attendence has been posted on the ATA web site vs last year attendence. interesting. Please be honest Trophies or cash. No negative threads please. thanks

7. R_T

R_T TS Member

I don't. For a number of years I did, but I came to the conclusion that I really wasn't getting anything for the time and money I had to expend that I couldn't get by shooting club events. I'm not anti-ATA; I don't feel I get anything I want or need by paying the extra money to participate with them.

I shoot trap to satisfy myself; I proved everything I feel I needed to prove to anyone a long time ago. I'm not particularly interested in trying to impress people with my skills so being in contact with a large group of people (most of whom have spent the greatest part of their day waiting around to do the same thing with widely-varying degrees of proficiency) really did nothing to improve my shooting.

I don't need to get something back from my shooting to know that I did well. And since I never felt that I was competing with the other shooters, only with the targets, I found my money was better spent selecting a few schools to attend to hone my techniques.

Michael

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I originally joined the ATA so I would have some place to shoot on Sundays. Now my home club and several nearby reserve at least one trap for practice shooters so being a member of the ATA is not nearly so important to me. I'll remain a member only because I like to shoot in State and other large shoots. I like the competition and the crowds. When I win a trophy, that's great. I don't play the options.

Like Bill above, I want to become the best shooter I can be. However, for me that no longer mandates ATA targets. I can shoot 1,000 practice targets in a day if I wish. So, I'll be cutting my ATA targets again next year. There seems to be little point in shooting in cold rain and wind early in the season just to acquire enough targets so I don't shoot penalty at early shoots. Geez, you need a 99 or 100 to win in D class. The other, more important reason, is because I am becoming less and less willing to sit around all day just to shoot 300 targets. I can go to a nearby club and shoot all three events on the practice traps in about two hours, and still have time to shoot the breeze before heading home.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

smsnyder, with the question being, is it for the money or trophies, I'd have to say the money. Got enuf belt buckles already, just can't get enuf money. Maybe hafta shoot better.

10. j l c

j l c TS Member

People do some fantastic things on the practice traps. Shoot registered targets where an organization(ATA)has set up rules and document all scores good or bad. Shoot a program that is set up and shot in program sequence not at your will. Registered trap has a lot of history made by people that were willing to put their skills up for a test with rules and regulations. This is the reason I tout registered trap shooting. The friends I have made on the registered trap shooting circuit are a very important part of my life. Jerry Crenshaw

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I shoot ATA to be a better shooter. The way the classes are setup a person can achieve realistic goals in stages. Also the people seem to be a tighter knit community that other sports. You can have a D shooter standing next to a AAA and still have just as much fun plus learn something while your there.

Bill

12. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I shoot for Trophys. I like meeting new people very much and with just getting back I believe that shooting for money at this time would be much of a waste for me until I get used to shooting from a Wheel Chair.Rich.(inPeoria,Az.)

13. BMC

BMC Member

Why do you shoot ATA targets?.

Because I'm hoping the next one will be the one I get my first 100 straight.

14. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I shoot club shoots (ATA) for fun,, I shoot Big shoots to Win,,,,Its all about the shoot off's,,,,Try to make the shoot off,,,thats where the real fun and braging rites are,,,Free targets with everyone watching,,,,as of two weeks ago at peconic my streak is still good ,,,,never have missed a shoot off target,,,you can keep the coin toss and long run back stuff ,,I love shoot off's,,,AINT NO SHOOT OFF'S in practice shooting,,,,no preasure,,,no gain

15. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

When you practice, what are you practicing for?

I like the pressure of competition. Shooting well when you have to is much different than running 25 on the practice trap. Four 24's at practice may seem like a good score, but it may never even get you on the leader board at a small shoot. And if you should ever win, you will know you have actually done well. The trophies and money are secondary.

16. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Too be competitive, to be better than I was last week, month or year, to shoot with awesome people and to hope that I'm the one that gets to take home a buckle at the end of the day.

17. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Say you hit a 25 on the practice trap...what have you done? More importantly, who cares? Once you get out of D and C class, you should be shooting those 25's pretty often. Once you get out of B and into A, you should be shooting them as often as not, and once you get out of A and into AA, you should be shooting them a lot of the time. Harlan Campbell once told me that nobody cares what you shot but yourself. I have never forgot that and have since worked on just getting a little better than the last shoot, than the last year, than the year before that.

At the end of the day, nobody cares what you shot on the practice trap but you. And nobody cares what you shot in the championship event but you either, unless you happen to have won it over each and every other shooter on the grounds. You never win anything on the practice trap unless you have a side bet.

So, to answer the question, I shoot registered because I want to get at least a little bit better than I was the year before. How many people actually track their practice rounds and derive an average? Not many is my guess. As for registered? I shoot for the record and the ATA keeps track of it all and sends me a nice new card to enter all my scores every year.

John

18. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

Trophy - Money, sometime, but generaly NO.

What nail did the ATA hit at the grand this year?

19. Charlie Leavitt

Charlie Leavitt TS Member

I shoot ATA targets for the opportunity to shoot well set targets in a business like environment. I went to my first shoot in 2004, 6 weeks after buying my first shotgun, because I wanted to see what registered shooting was all about. After my first shoot I bought a Life Membership in ATA so that I would be committed to improvement. I shoot against myself, my average and my personal best. I am happy when I do well as I define doing well. I love shooting ATA and, as a friend and mentor told me, "Nothing prepares you for registered shooting except registered shooting." Wise words from a wise man.
    Charlie Leavitt

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

And, last year I got to know Jerry B. and now count him as a friend. A few months ago Jerry mentioned on this site that he had an extra recoil pad. I asked him what kind. He did not answer my question but he did send me the new recoil pad. Last year he indicated that he had use for a good miter saw and I had an extra one. I carried it to the Southern Grand and traded it to him for 5 once fired AA hulls. It is very nice to have friends and without ATA shoots, I would have never gotten to know Jerry and I would not have a new red recoil pad.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.