1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why do we never c the other side of the moon

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slic lee, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

All planets turn, rotate not the moon. We never c the other side. In its orbit, if there is one, the distance is always the same, meaning,?, its orbit is perfectly circular to ours, which is highly impossibe in a mass that large.

2. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

The dark side of the moon does not get enough light for us to see it! The source of light is the sun and as the moon comes up, when we experience night, the sun is on the other side of the earth from us. Always remember... Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver!

3. tachyon

tachyon Member

The moon is not in a circular orbit around the earth. The earth/moon distance varies from about 364,000 kilometers at nearest approach to 406,000 kilometers at apogee. It is in an elliptical orbit around the earth with an eccentricity of about .05.

The moon does rotate on its axis. It is in near synchronous rotation with its revolution around the earth. Basically, this means we always see the same "face" of the moon. Since the moon is in an elliptical orbit this is not exactly true. At perigee, we see a little more on the eastern (right) side of the moon and part of the west side is not visible and at apogee we see more of the western side of the moon. So we actually see a bit more than one side of the moon if we observe over multiple orbits. I think this is about 5 degrees of longitude on each side of the orbit.

Since the moon's orbit is tilted to the ecliptic plane we also see additional degrees of latitude depending on your location and viewing times.

4. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

It's called "Tidal Lock."

Danny

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Indeed.

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Ah, so this would perhaps explain why I shoot poorer on days with a full moon, right? Change in gravitational pull on the lead shot string?

I see, I see.

7. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Some good responses!

Another point of interest is the fact that the moon is moving away from the Earth at the rate of about 1 1/2" per year.

Regards, Pete

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

And it's shrinking!

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Its Bush's fault!

and

Its a result of global warming!

10. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

While we're at it: there are a whole bunch of folks who believe that God (Allah) actually, really did, split the moon in half as a sign, and then put it back together again.

Yikes!

Danny

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    At some point the moon will have moved far enough away that it will slow down its earth orbit. The earth will then start to pull it closer. As it gets pulled closer, it will speed up. This will overcome the gravity of the earth, and it will travel outward again.

As long as this process remains steady, there will be no problem. But if the cycle winds up slowly increasing the maximum and minimum distance from the earth, there may come a point when the moon will travel too close to the earth. If this happens, the moon may be shattered by the earth's gravity, giving us rings similar to Saturn.

12. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Maybe that explains why intelligent life is avoiding earth....all they get to see is the America side.....That must be quite a sight to them.LOL

13. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

Tachyon, Miles please!

14. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

How do you Know??? Are you sure??? maybe it moved and you didnt see it . Bet you dont know one side from the other. It goes away once a month who took it Bush? maybe to change sides

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I Apollo-gize for my lack of knowledge of the subject, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the moon shines at night when we need the light, as opposed to the day when we don't need it.

16. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I am still chuckling about your reply RecuryArcher!!

17. biff

biff Active Member

"Someone locked the door and threw away the Key,

Someone's in my head and it's not Me!"

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon album...That was always good enough for me!

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The real issue is... what shot size would you use on the moon?

Where's Neil Winston when you need him?

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

My favorite Pink Floyd song is "Wish you were here." It is actually my favorite song of all times.

20. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I'm pretty sure I made it to the dark side of the moon in 1973.......come to think of it I did have a black GF back then.....hmm memories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.