1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do we have interruptors on trap machines?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by oleolliedawg, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Come on you old timers. Does anyone remember when those old handset traps didn't have interruptors and we could lock a trap and pretty much shoot whatever target we wanted. How 'bout those "hot dogs" of that era who pretty much shot straightaways on the end positions and didn't care what hole they were in. Did the ATA officials of that era agonize for years before making interrupted traps mandatory or were they afraid to offend those "big dogs" who clearly defeated the system?

A bit of trolling perhaps!!

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Just to irritate you and give you something to bitch about.

Don

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

So you cant read the trap.

4. oleolliedawg

Does this mean we should place an asterisk beside those "high averages" that were shot in the 60's!!

5. old tex

old tex TS Member

Some, maybe several, could and did "read" the trap most expertly.

Perhaps the finest reader (and shot) was Britt Robinson, he was absolutely phenominal and some credit the reason for an interrupter directly to him.

Of course he continued to win regardless!

unc

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Interrupters were added to improve my scores. I could easily read about 90% of the targets that would be thrown. But, when I got one wrong, I had lots of trouble.

A similar thing still happens to me. For unknown reasons I will move to post one and convince myself that I am going to get a hard left angle. I prepare for that bird and the trap surprises me. I think the traps we now use are smarter than I am. Both the traps and my brain have interrupters.

Pat Ireland

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

When you get surprised by the trap machine it is time for you to use your FTF option. Since being surprised by a machine is involuntary the rules permit this option. HMB

8. oleolliedawg

k-80 guy, I graduated from the Pat Ireland School of Professional Trap Reading. What that means is that I now stink at what I was formerly rather adept at. Works great until the darn machine throws an opposite and then it's necessary to throw a jab and hope it connects.

I always wondered why the late, great Frank Little experienced so little gun movement!!

9. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

To clarify a point. Modern day trap machines do not have interrupters on them like the old Winchester traps.

The Winchester had a mechanical device that would stop the oscillation and even reverse the direction the machine was oscillating.

The new automatic machines (Super Star, Pats, Etc) have a electronic package that stops/paused the oscillation for a preset time and than resumes oscillation. You can set the Super Star to have several "pauses" programed into the electronics. Been several years since I worked on Pats, not sure about them.

Frank

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

What are "interruptors"?

11. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Dawg,Are you trying to tell me Frank Little used to read traps,I don't believe it!

12. old tex

old tex TS Member

Jimmy
    Sears was great and was elected to the SC hall of fame this year - anyone else in ATA and SC HoF??
    Seems some kid from Borger was pretty good in those days as well.
    unc

13. oleolliedawg

ottoman, I understand he's gonna delve into that system in your next scheduled clinic. You're still booked on his 2010 May clinic aren't you!!

14. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Dawg,I already took that portion and failed miserably!Besides,I don't like the trap club where he's at now.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

We have them to test your brain. To see whether a preprogrammed machine which does the same thing time after time can fool you. The trap game is alot easier to master when you are smarter than the machine. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

super star trap osilates then stops