1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHY DO TRAP SHOOTERS CHANGE GUNS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

So you have a great gun and are winning with it, yet you sell it or change guns. Why? Please tell us briefly the reason trap shooters change guns.

I was guilty. Won two championships with a DT10, yet changed over to a beautiful Mach One. Shot the Mach One well, but not as well. Loved the attention I got with the Mach One. After 5 years went back to the DT10 and it just fits and shoots so nicely and weighs one pound less.

So why did you change?????

Fred

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I bought the TMX used 25 years ago and I'm afraid to buy a new gun for the very reason you suggested.

3. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

The grass always seems greener on the other side...

4. RayReys

RayReys Member

I simply like shooting a variety of guns - I've had several comments that constantly switching screws me up, but I think of it as, "If I'm truly good, then it shouldn't matter too much what I'm shooting". :)

Part of the thrill is being able to (or trying to) do well with any one of them...

In the last seven club shoots, I've used eight different guns... :D

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

And the result was??? Fred

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi Fred,

Your question reminds me....of this following story...

A story that makes me envious as opposed to jealous. A friend of mine, before retirement, had a job with Toyota USA as an engineer/development guy. He worked on the sporty version of the then popular 240 Toyota, an entry level sporty coupe, not the standard version. He and a well-known So-Cal race driver took one of the cars to Willow Springs in the high desert the develop the suspension settings...usual stuff, spring rate, shock settings, roll bar diameter etc. Norm, the engineer, said they spent hour after hour and time upon time trying this and that and this and that...and finally got it really great and improved. Then the race driver wanted to try more stuff until the performance went downhill. They went back to the original-best setup and that went into production. But they kept changing things to find out what was best.

On the second day, they drove home, race driver, (or I should say retired race driver) behind the wheel. They drove home through Angeles Crest, hwy 2, briskly, smoothly, above the speed limit, and efficiently. Race driver at the wheel the entire time...Palmdale to LaCanada, California. I asked Norman if he felt nervous at all or in any danger; he replied not, they were not going crazy fast or anything, just "fast" and so smoothly with all the lines being picked up perfectly, entry and exit. Norm vividly recalled that ride "in the hands of an expert..."

Oh the driver...drum roll please....Dan Gurney, yes "the" Dan Gurney.

Oh, the point: I guess "we" want to look at all sides of the issue and configuration 'cause "we" might so often feel we could be more competitive, as did Mr. Gurney even during an engineering exercise.

Just my convoluted take; it all relates to how so many want to be competitive by investigating all avenues. (Grass is greener on the other side, even for the very best in this case.)

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

A trap shooting buddy of mine keeps saying "it works, why change it?" Reminds me of a situation that I saw the other day. A guy pulled up to the range and started getting his gun out. A nice older Perazzi that he shoots well. Then he pulled out a nice BT 99 that he admitted he couldn't shoot well and proceded to put that together too. I'm setting here now with a Perazzi I seem to shoot well and an XT that I don't. I recently got the Perazzi back from a rebuild and the whole time it was gone I kept looking for another Perazzi to buy knowing full well I could shoot the Perazzi I have well. I am still tempted to send out the Browning to have an adjustable comb put on it to try to get it so I can shoot it. Why? I don't know either.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The thrill is gone, and you need something new to put your hands around and caress?

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Terry nailed it. At least that's the very reason I changed. And changed again. And changed again. Hey, I'm a slow learner. :)

10. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Our wives should be happy that we trade in a old model for a new one or try another model for a time and not them. Us guy's that change guns have our minds focused on guns not other women to satisfy our excitement.

Dave

11. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

I think that you answered your own question.... "... Loved the attention I got..."

Ed Harrison

12. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Some guns still have a lot of 25s left in them when sold. Others have most of the 25s already shot up and few left. Shooters try to find that magic gun with most all the 25s still left in it.

I was lucky and got an old P gun that was full of 25s and will keep it as long as I shoot. But I have a list somewhere of all the guns I tried before I finally found it. Seems it was a dozen or more and lots of $$s. Ray

13. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Its a status symbol with many shooters. Just like when you drive up to the club in your new Porsche or Ferrari. People like to get compliments, bragging rights.
    Clyde

14. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I am in the add to camp,

My first gun is all I need it does me well, but

There was this SBT looking for a new home, at a price I could not beat with a stick, and it was such a dud!

but then there was another that I could pick up and it is Sssoooooo sweet! it fit's like it was made for just me

and the third, it took about 75 shots to get it's picture, then it is just a bird grinder

And yet

When I go out to shot for score, my first gun still calls to me, so then I have to decide which one to shoot! but that is still a no brainer all three shoot really well for me! As long as "I" do my part they will break them all,

I have only shot the ONE long enough to say it has covered many shots that I called my miss yet saw the target break, so that is why it is never going to pass to another shooter.

Al

15. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Why do you change/buy new shirts when the old ones are not worn out?

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Oldtimer has it mostly right. I found that the guns kept getting more and more expensive, as long as you can sell the gun for what you bought it. I think you just keep moving up as you go, for the reason mentioned above. Otherwise, it is just an incurable disease. Its kind of funny, I still have the same Golf Clubs from 30 years ago of which is a sport I took very serious. About as much as Trapshooting. The difference, the Golf Clubs would have lost money had I had the same tendencies. Trap guns actually made me money. I always end up going back to old faithful, my KS-5 Special.

17. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

A suggestion.........If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Woody

18. dhip

dhip Active Member

I think it's part of the Disease

Doug H.

19. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

How about the fun factor of adding another gun to your safe? A friend of mine lost his house in a fire a few years back. He had over 160 guns in his safe. Not to mention over a ton of lead in his garage. My thoughts were that sounded like a reasonable number if that is your number one hobby.

I think you have two categories of trapshooters, the guys that live for their score, and the guys that do it for fun. These two guys have totally different motivation for buying guns.

20. RayReys

RayReys Member

To answer Fred's question:
    Monthly shoots:

Singles:
    Bt99: 100
    Bt99: 96
    Sx1: 92 (I was out celebrating the night before; went home in morning the. Went shooting lol)
    Bt99: 96
    Sx1: 97
    Sx1: 96
    M-31: 89 or 90 (last sun- In my defense a rh rollover stock is not the best thing when you're a lefty shooting left handed;) )

Doubles:(50 targets)

Superposed: 41
    870tb: 45
    Benelli: 41
    Bps: 38
    Bps: 35
    A302: 40

Hc(50 targets):

20-BT99: 45
    21-BT99: 46
    21-Sx1: 47
    22-BT99: 36
    22-Bt99: 36
    22-Bps: 43
    21-bt99: 44

None of my guns are as fancy as a Krieghoff or perazzi: could I had saved up and picked out one k or p gun instead of buying what I have? Sure, but that's not as fun ;) would like a tm1 or mt6 one day though, just to add to the mix :D
    All in good fun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.