1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHY DO SIDE BY SIDE SHOTGUNS KICK MORE?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i once new a man who loved and shot winchester 21's. simple question, why do side by sides kick more than other guns. anyone ever shoot a side by side for trap? i have been shooting since 1970, i have seen maybe 2 or 3 shooters shoot side by sides. why are they not more popular for trap? also what barrel is usually the more open choke barrel?
    steve balistreri

2. nobody

nobody TS Member

Stock design and weight?

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I shot a L.C. Smith Speciality Grade at trap until I blew-up the barrels with a goose load. It worked fine with the right barrel choked full.

4. senior smoke

big heap:
    looks like a gun that could really smoke some targets.
    steve

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Steve - its no secret why older S x S, while still popular among enthusiasts of that type of gun and field hunters, are not often used in modern clay target sports.

There are a few reasons that come to mind;

1. Light weight in general also means more recoil.

2. Stock dimensions of most of these older S x S are unsuitable for any modern target sports. Many are very short, almost all have huge drop at comb. These were guns that never met a cheek bone before LOL They have none of the offset comb, MC, palm swelled, toed out type configuration that you would find on say a modern Devault stock.

3. Triggers.....hard to compare what these older guns have to a modern, tuneable trigger like a K80.

I'm still looking for the Mod 21, 28" IC/Mod that someone ran over the butt stock with their car so I can get it cheap and restock it to modern dimensions LOL.

6. senior smoke

baron 23-interesting information.
    thanks,
    steve

7. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Here is my 21 with mondern style stock dim. Padded adj soft top on a "duck" 32" full and full. This pic is a little old as I also added a gra coil to it also. l.g.

8. senior smoke

little gambler-beautiful gun.
    steve

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

llano bill - if you find the Linder Daly in fluid steel in 12 ga and don't want it, let me know LOL

Especially one made for pigeon shooting as the only one that had a comb remotely high enough for me was a pigeon gun. It was 30" and .045/.045 and man oh man would it smoke a skeet target LOL.

Just looked at my friends new Linder Daly in Damascus...maybe about 1895 year or so gun. It was a beauty, all the screws right and clocked and it clearly looks like the wood has never been off of the gun....not a hint of a gap anywhere between wood and metal....this was craftsmanship.

Steve - I think the deal on the SxS is that...well, you just have to love them for what they are and not look for them to be an equivalent to a modern clay target gun.

Best to all

Stephen

10. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Sr. Smoke, I don't think SxS shotguns kick more than O/U's. I think lighter weight guns kick more than heavier ones.

I shoot a M-21 Trap (Full and Full)and I feel no kick to it and in the last year I have been 93-97 on all of my rounds with it. I alternate with a Caesar Guerinin O/U sporting clays (30") and have been 90-94 with the Guerini.

The complaint on the SxS is that the two barrels are distracting when it comes to picking up the target versus the O/U which gives you only the single view of the rib and is not as distracting. Well, I read an article confirming this view and, you might guess it, I became distracted in the last two weeks with my SxS barrels and had a pair of 89's.

My conclusion, is SxS shotgun barrels are a distraction (as compared with the single rib) if you think they are distractions. I'm not going to alternate for a while and get back into my ignoring the distraction of the two barrels.

In sporting clays, the sub-gauges are given handicaps in some places AND SxS's are given 5 points (3 in some places) handicaps because "they are more difficult to shoot." I shoot a 20ga, Win M-23 and get all sorts of points (10) and seem to be able to take my friends who are shooting 20ga autos. I get 5 points on them.

11. senior smoke

rdf59-thanks for the info.
    steve

12. larryjk

larryjk Member

senior smoke, On field sxs shotguns usually the right barrel is more open than the left. The reason is that if it is a two trigger gun, the front trigger shoots the right barrel and the rear trigger the left barrel. Something about pulling the front trigger first, as on a rising bird, and the left trigger for the tighter choke if you miss the first, or swing on another farther bird.
    Also, fit is more important with a double sxs so you aren't encouraged to look at the beads, but look at the bird and shoot.

13. senior smoke

larryjk-thanks for the info.
    steve

14. wm rike

wm rike Member

Other things being equal, the only thing against a double is perhaps its weight. I can shoot a program with my M21 and not think twice about it. If you intend to shoot handicap or goose loads until the sun dips, that might be another matter.

15. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The answer to the question is ---- SxSs have the barrels "regulated" to shoot to the same point of impact, usually at 40 yards. This means that the barrels converge slightly; that is, they are closer together at the muzzle than at the breach. Therefore, the right barrel will recoil AWAY from the face (for a right-handed shooter) and the left barrel will recoil TOWARDS the face. Of course, the resistance of the shoulder will also cause upward recoil from both barrels.

Also, the fact is that most SxSs are lighter than other style guns and that contributes to more recoil. While I shoot an unsingle or O/U at targets, I shoot SxSs exclusively in the field in all gauges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.