1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do shooting glasses lay flat?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by T.A.K., May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

I've been toying with the idea of investing in some shooting glasses. I have a cheap pair of purple lenses I use during the day but those don't help much at night or in low light. I tend to wear contacts when I shoot so I have no problem with using these, but I've noticed that I can't put a blinder on the side when the sun is shining. While looking at glasses like Rangers or Decot I've noticed the their glasses lay flat.

Is there any particular reasoning for that? Or is it just so they can be prescription lenses?

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Decot wanted no chance that the lenses would touch your face or gun.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I know you often get lense distortion with highly curved lenses. Look through glasses that are highly curved at the outer edges and you will see what I mean. With flatter lenses, the distortion is far less and mostly unnoticeable. I believe Pilla makes the extremely curved lenses and they have been very successful at eliminating the distortion. The Pilla's are also very expensive.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Love my Pilla's <grin>

5. Ron Gillatt

Ron Gillatt Member

Hi TAK,
    I have been looking at Randolph Rangers. I am a 'one eye shooter' trying to shoot 'two eyed'. I wear a fairly strong prescription glasses all the time and I was going for RR in a high index prescription. However, RR lenses would be so curved (on the outside) that the different coloured lenses would scratch the prescription lenses after a short time. I have been advised to use contacts and regular shooting glasses. I wore lenses 30 years ago with no problem. Do the lenes work OK and are there any points that I should be aware of? I have been advised to use 'Daily Change' lenses.

Regards,

Ron in Ontario

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

There is no distortion in the curved Randolph Ranger factory Rx or standard lenses.

Or in any other quality Lenses, the cheap lenses have distortions in them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

I have to say Pillas are far out of my price range but thank you for you answers. It makes sense to me. I've been looking more into Decot incase I ever do want prescription lenses (which I might get in the near future). Right now I'm using a pair of Beretta cheap $25-30 pair during the day, and just plastic safety glasses at night.

And Ron, I have monthly change contacts and am a two eye shooter and have no problem wearing them during the day; I can't, however, shoot in my prescription glasses (they give me a headache). After a while though my eyes do get tired of wearing contacts, most of the time I'll take them out once i'm done with events and put them in again if I need them. But, I have no real issues with contacts, especially if you're not going to be wearing them all the time you should be fine wearing them to shoot.

I tend to have a problem shooting at night where my beads get blurred and the birds tend to have an orange glow kinda like an aura around them. I must say my scores are a lot worse once the sun goes down, which is why I was looking into glasses that I could have a prescription put in if I need to or maybe colored lenses could correct that problem entirely.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Your Opto. will be glad to gift you what lenses you may think will work best for shooting. I use the Acuview Oasys single wears and they are the clearest and most comfortable contacts I've ever worn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.