1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people waste time on singles???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

This is a very honest question and I'm not trolling.

If people spent the time learning to shoot handicap targets instead of singles the benefits would be over whelming.

1st arguement) If you are good at singles, you're going to be in a shoot-off at a larger shoot where you are going to have to shoot at a lot more targets. While these targets are free, the shells aren't!

If you get good at 'caps, the shoot-offs are much shorter.

2nd arguement) Costs! You shoot twice as many targets for a quarter of the money! Handicap payouts are a lot higher than that of singles.

3rd arguement) Recognition! When you are standing at the 16 yd line nobody can tell what class of shooter that you are. On the other hand, they have no problem seeing what yardage you are shooting from especially if you are shooting from the 25 yd. line or further.

If you feel compelled to shoot from the 16 yd line, then shoot doubles! At least they are fun!

ec90t

2. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

As Carla Harrison said during the Leo Clinic.

Singles for the Glory
    Handicap for the Money
    Doubles for the fun

Ronbo

3. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'll go along with rondo. I think shooting for a large singles championship is the best competition since you are taking on all comers on an even basis. No artificial handicaps that may or may not level the field. If you win the CTC, you beat everyone; no gripes that you were at an advantage being under handicapped etc. Granted, if you know you can't shoot a 200+, your outlook may not be the same, but that does not change it from being the best competition.

If it was not for the money, handicap would not be as popular as it is, although it does appear to be a regional preference (that's my view). Think about other sports, golf for instance - handicap events are not thought of in the same light as scratch tourneys. Lots of tourneys have a scratch division and a handicap division - the handicap is often considered the division for the lesser talented. It is not as prestigious to win the handicap title.

Finally, just about everyone shoots higher scores in 16's and that makes it more fun for many.

Just my view.

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I don't consider them as a waste of time. Besides, how are you EVER going to win a HOA or HAA if you don't shoot singles.

I guess that I must be daft. I don't find singles boring or a waste of time. I have fun every time that I pull the trigger.

If you can't shoot singles, chances are that you also can't shot handicap.

Exactly how many marathon shoot offs have you been in? How do you figure that the handicap targets cost a quarter of what singles targets cost? In most of the programs I have seen, they cost the same.

And the class statement reminds me of the scene from the movie Titanic where all the high class folks were looking down on the steerage class folks.

John

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know ... there are more people that shoot singles than caps and doubles combined. Most clubs that I have shot at frown upon setting a range for doubles or for caps because the shooters on the line wish to shoot 16yd. If people cannot shoot yardage or doubles to practice and gain confidence they will not want to get that practice and confidence at a match of some sort.

I would farthum a bet that if clubs had a range or two set specifically for doubles or specifically for people to shoot yardages there would be more doubles and yardage shooters.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Just another bit of info that I forgot to include on my first thread.

If you shoot handicap targets only in the ATA, you'll never get a review. This is their way of making you shoot singles even if you don't wish to. Even though it is a seperate class. The ATA knows that there would be less targets thrown if this didn't happen.

On the other hand, your 'caps average has absolutly no effect on your singles classification. This is the ATA's way of having their cake and eating it too.

ec90t

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I understand your whining, ec90t, I can't shoot singles worth a crap either. RG

8. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Hey Lump .... What's a "farthum"?

I think that many people like to be the best they can as an all around shooter. As mentioned, HOA and HAA are out the window with no singles and no possibility of Grand Slams. I think people, for the most part, shoot for the love of shooting and don't find it overly important to be seen shooting from the 27. You could always wear a sign on your back tellin' them what class you are in if it is that important. Here is your sign!

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you can't break'm all on the 16, you'll never break'm on the 27.

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Its all a waste of time and money if you look at it like that. Stay home, watch TV and put your money in the bank.

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

If you don't want to shoot singles, don't. Why should it bother anyone if someone else wants to shoot them.

If I could shoot them all without ever missing any it might get boring but I don't think I'm quite there yet. LOL There are different challenges in the different aspects of the game. The fun part is to overcome the challenges.

Bill

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

RG,

I don't shoot them well because I don't like them. I can whine if I want to! LMAO!

Shoot410ga,

I know quite a few people around these parts that shoot 'caps just fine and can't hit a thing from the 16 yd line.

As far as the recognition thing goes, it was just presented as an arguement not my personal feelings. I shoot a lot of Sporting Clays and you can't tell what class a guy is in by casual obsevation there either.

ec90t

13. The Stive

The Stive Member

I like it all. I do not think I am wasting time at singles. I enjoy shooting
    singles, caps, and dbls. I like to toe the line, hollar pull and watch that little orange thing blow up. John

14. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

What I want to know is why people waste time shooting handicap? They refuse reductions and get stuck at yardages that they can't hit crap from.

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ah yes! The magic 27 yard line! You have ARRIVED!

The 'big guns' that would occasionally nod and smile as the walked past, now stop and talk to you!

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Is the

AA27AA

pin not something you want?

It takes what 3000 3000 ????. that is a goal mine, got to shoot all and more (for me anyway) to get it!

JUST because you see that first 3000 birds to get it as a waste doesn't mean I do!

Al

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Many of us shoot trap to be the very best shooter we can be. For me, personally, the best I can ever be is AAA/27/AA. I have been shooting trap for many years and the best I have achieved is where I currently am: AA/27/A. To reach the AAA/27/AA level, I must shoot singles to get there. I want to reach the top in all three events, and will keep shooting all three until I reach that goal or I'm too old to continue.....That's why I "waste" my time shooting singles........Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

ec90t,

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you wanting to do away with singles or are you just trying to convince people not to shoot them because you don't like them?

Not trolling??????????????? Whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. ec90t

ec90t Guest

cd'

I guess that I started the thread wrong. I should have stated, "Why do you shoot singles". I'm not trying/wanting to do away with them, I just don't understand them.

To everyone, here's the senrio:

Classification for singles is based upon your average. Jerry stated that they used his handicap average as a basis for classification at a shoot since he was close to being in another class. What would the deciding factor be if he didn't shoot and handicap targets at all? It would just revert back to his average, and maybe how well he shot his last 500/1000 singles targets.

If I only want to shoot handicap targets and nothing else, the ATA would only review my handicap yardage after 1000 rounds have been shot in both SINGLES and HANDICAP. Even though I don't want to shoot singles, I have to in order to get a review. If your singles average plumits, you don't have to shoot handicap targets in order to shoot a lesser class. It simply goes by your average.

The ATA is putting artificial importance on singles targets! I would dearly love to hear from an ATA officer/official as to why this is so!

ec90t

20. lc

lc TS Member

Frank Little use to say that everything comes from singles, or starts with singles. Shoot singles and you will learn to shoot Handicap and doubles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.