1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people take trapshooting seriously?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by otnot, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

I know you had a bad day, but if your a compeditor and you love to shoot why ask such a stupid question? Hell I'm getting ready to fly 4,000 miles to shoot in Reno because I love to compete. Everyone has a bad day. Forget about it! Only remember the good days or your going to continue to be stuck in the bad days.

Jim

2. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Piddy,

It IS like golf in that we watch these (mostly) guys who make it look so easy, and then we go out and have a real good day now and then (a few birdies and a few straights), but then the next day our game's in the toilet again.

Golf and trap shooting are cruel mistresses. Hang in there.

LA

3. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I believe the reason that most of us take trapshooting so seriously is the fact that, at one time or another, we have smashed every presentable target that the machine can possibly throw. Because of this knowledge, we tend to "expect" a desireable result - EVERY time we pull (or release) the trigger.

When the result is less-than-desireable, the sport has the ability to make us question our own abilities. That can make any person angry or frustrated. After all, we ask ourselves........"I did it before ; why not today" ?

That same knowledge is also what keeps most of us coming back to try to do it -over & over again. Because we know we CAN do it, we have to prove that we can do it. It is this syndrome that keeps most shooters "hooked" on the sport.

If you had an especially frustrating day, I feel your pain. We have ALL been there, at one time or another. It is days like that when I remember the consoling words of a fellow shooter I know. His mantra is this : You have not shot your worst score yet.........

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Beats me Piddy. Even more curious is taking politicians seriously. And boy oh boy do trapshooters do that. Jake

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Why would I register targets and not be serious about it??

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

If it didn't matter we would not keep score! Jake

7. Juno

Juno TS Member

[​IMG]

Aw, what a piddy.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Chumming the water again, Piddy?

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Everyone looks for perfection in themselves. Trapshooting is a measure of one's own perfection. Perfection is just not breaking targets. Perfection is going straight and turning every target into dust with no effort. Being in zone for just a little while, makes me keep comming back for more. Perhaps, Cocain or other drugs give the same short term feeling. I don't know.

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Piddy, We take it seriously because we can; for myself I need to the fact that I suck at golf

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I can't generalize for everyone but in my own case clay target shooting is very much like the drug addiction that shot410 was getting at. The highs come from being able to break the targets the lows come when that doesn't happen. There needs to be a lot more highs than lows for the addiction to thrive. Proof of the addiction is obvious when a week has gone by without burning any nitro. The good thing about this addiction is that it doesn't interfere with other life realities such as earning a living (at least not yet). As far as taking the game of trap seriously it really has to do with a person's ego or the desire to build self esteem.

So Piddy, just because you shot a trash can score doesn't mean you suck. It means that something you were doing sucked, figure that something out and fix it and build that self esteem instead of ragging on yourself.

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

when i was younger i took trapshooting very seriously. no matter what shoot i attended, i wanted to win, but mostly i wanted to beat my shooting friends. in highschool i played sports, i am very competitive in almost everything i do. what is nice about shooting, even if you have a bad day, if you hit the lewis class your a winner. remember to "bury the dog" when you shoot a bad score. how many times have you shot the singles event poorly, to comeback and shoot even a higher score in handicap? the shooting sports are in the American blood line. i have taken over 50 people to clubs to shoot a round over the past 36 years. they have shot scores from zero to 20 on their first atempt at trapshooting. every one of them thought it was fun. worst thing that can happen to a shooter is breaking his first 100 straight. people think they are good, in reality it was just a fluke. this game is addicting to say the least. i have seen shooting cause divorces, missing house payments, electric and car payments so a person could shoot and try to win some money. it seldom works out that way. trapshootings biggest asset is it's history and it's people, and if you do happen to ever win some cash, thats as close to heaven on earth that you will get.
    steve balistreri

13. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

This is one of those questions that to give the proper answer would only alienate the person asking and answering the question so ...

14. Juno

Juno TS Member

15. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

16. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

competing in trap is just like in any other sport, for most of us its not about beating the other guy. Its more about beating that little man in your interself. For me its about being with the other shooters or watching a young shooter break their first 25, Its about going to a new club that you have never been to. Its about looking forward to the local Saturday nite calcutta or watching someone shooting a new gun they just bought. Its about life!

17. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

To some shooting is just some part of there life but for others shooting is there life and they tend to be at times far to serious about shooting.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Every fine gentleman needs a game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.