1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people own pit bulls

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grnberetcj, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

To answer your original question:

Because they are idiots!

Curt

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

It's not the dog's fault-It's the dog owner !!!

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

crab,

I couldn't agree with you more! People should have to take a test before pet ownership or parenthood.

ec90t

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

EE,

Kids and animals are a product of their own enviornment! The breed doesn't make them bad, the handler(or lack of) allows them to be.

Wake up!

ec90t

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I'm convinced that many young males think its macho.

6. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

If you talk with dog breeders at dog shows you'll find many pit bulls that are very well behaved. Some people breed the meanest dogs they can find to produce ill tempered dogs.These will be the trouble makers.The better class of breeders will not do that-they want good dogs and repeat customers and no bad press.Pit bulls,dobermans and the like all get a bad rap that they are all mean. My doberman was raised with our granddaughter when she was born.at age two she would pulls his ears and try to ride on his back.All he did was lick her all over and follow her around looking for food she would drop.They were best friend and he never bit anyone.

It's all how the dog was bred and raised. You can make almost any dog mean if you work at it.
    Most time it's the owner............and yes they should have a test before allowing ownership.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Lickingest dog I've ever met. Guard dog? my rear. Might slobber you to death. They are what you make them.

8. Frye

Frye TS Member

I have several in my neighborhood. NONE of them are aggressive. It aint the breed that makes them aggressive. I fostered a Pit that was a fighting dog left to die. She wasn't one bit aggressive the whole time she lived with me. They adapt to their environment, if they have to fight to survive, then the product is an agressive animal. Humans are to blame, not the breed.

9. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Years ago I had a Doberman "Candy" she was the biggest baby you ever met but for the unknowing she looked very formidable. A alert Dobie with their ears up is a intimadating sight.

10. MrMoeTN

MrMoeTN TS Member

I don't say much here. I try to listen and soak up the good that can be gained from listening to older/wiser folks in the field. But, I don't think this is a discussion that "gun people" should be having. Folks shouldn't own pit bulls, take a test before ownership, breeds are for specific purposes and if you don't serve that purpose then you shouldn't own one of those...sounds a whole lot like the rhetoric used in the attempt to disarm us. Folks should own pit bulls for the same reason I own AK-47's, AR-15's and high (normal) capacity magazines,because they are not illegal and because in this country I get to decide with what I occupy my time and what I spend my money on, within the law. If, while under my control, the material that I own causes harm to someone else, then I am to be held responsible. We do not limit access to alcohol even though hundreds of thousands are killed annually if for no other reason than this guy/girl wanted a drink, went out and drank too much and ..., we do not ask for vehicles with speed-regulators affixed to them because of the many who are killed each year by speed.

Be careful in asking for a ban on pit-bulls because after that is accomplished, they may well be for your Chow, Doberman, Shepard, Rottweiler, or other breeds that are "undesirable" to someone else for some reason.

Just as with firearms, after they accomplish their task of banning my AK, AR and Hi-Cap Mags, they will soon be after your P guns and K guns and eventually your R guns and M guns.

Sorry to have turned a friendly discussion of man's best friend into a diatribe on the Second.

Chris Morris

11. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Edited for content.......

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

MrMoeTN, there is a bit of a difference between a gun and a pitbull, the gun will not go off by itself, the pitbull will at any time....

13. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Pit Bulls are as mild or as wild as the environment they live in, period. JRM

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Frank C

"the gun will not go off by itself, the pitbull will at any time...."

Frank as long as I have known you I have never seen this little understanding in you. You said the gun will not go off by itself if this is so why are all the politicians and gun grabbers pushing mandatory trigger lock on all of the gun you keep in your home?

I will tell you ignorance if someone wants to take that trigger lock off of a gun it takes about 30 seconds.

You said the Pit Bull will go off at any time. The proper statement is may go off at any time just like a Lab or a Cocker Spaniel or Copper's Vizla they are dogs no more with all the traits of dogs.

Bob Lawless

15. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Frank C, you really should listen to Bob because he knows everything about dogs. A Pekanese is every bit as dangerous as any Pit Bull. Haven't you heard all the stories about all the people killed by Pekanese dogs? Pet fish can be dangerous too if they decide to "go off". LOL

16. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Why do people own cats? Tron?

17. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

so sorry, may, not will, however no guns will go off by themselves, and MANY, yes
    Bob, I will stay by MANY Pits will "go off" on there own, including when they're very caring owners are right there..... When a Peke or a Poodle or even a Lab "goes off" they don't hold on and shake for all they are worth....

by the way Bob only a fool would ever own an trigger lock never mind actually USE one. FYI, you are NOT, in the great state of Mass forced to USE trigger locks, only some sort of "safety" device, and even then, only under some limited circumstances.

18. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Yes, the proper statement is "May go off at anytime". If my Maltese goes off.....I can SAVE myself or the VICTIM. I believe ....To reply to the original THREAD.....that people own Pit Bulls to either... make a statement to others (think it's macho) or to prove that they can be pets. I also feel pretty safe in knowing it's the OWNER/not the dog . However, I would never own one or let my grandchildren around them. I'm sure that there are TIGER and LION owners out there that would defend their pets to the end too. Read the NEWS/READ the STATS. 1 out of every 5 LION/TIGER owners is mauled to death.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pit bull........dog of choice for Outlaw Bikers, drug dealers, Gang members, and black criminals.

Perceived as "don't mess with me" bad, meant to intimidate.

There are none in my neighborhood and any that come will not last.

HM

20. hettinger

hettinger TS Member

Copper; if you have to ask such a question, you do not have the ability to comprehend the answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.