1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why do people give up ata trap shooting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i pretty much know the answer after years of asking. what is your opnion? i will give you my answer after i hear yours. I see a problem brewing with the ata and it MUST be CORRECTED.I heard the best one from an ata deligate who hit it right on the head.

2. mt

mt Member

I really enjoy trapshooting but to be quite honest with you ATA matches take so much time...i just can't afford it at this stage in my life....it feels so inefficient. Perhaps when i'm older

3. smsnyder

one correct answer just confimed.

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

sandbagging. The ATA lets sandbagging run wild. Cost and the cost of going.

5. southpark

southpark TS Member

I agree with mt -- but Redlands this past weekend really seemed to make a great effort and did a good job of keeping things moving.

6. smsnyder

another correct answer just confirmed

7. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

There are a lot of competing interests out thre for our recreation dollar.

ed.

8. smsnyder

hill toper, you may be correct in away but i don't think it effects trapshooters.

9. Jim Pollock

Jim Pollock TS Member

The time standing around is an issue. My wife started shooting a year ago and is doing very well, however she always complains about all the time waiting for your turn to shoot. We were in Mason, MI on the weekend for only the second time - we were there Memorial Day weekend last year as well. I have been very impressed how well organized they are and how they keep the event moving. After the first 100 on Saturday, I bearly had time for a bite to eat and I was due back up for the second 100. The next thing I knew it was time for the Handicap event. From what I have seen, they do a great job and have the process mastered! The management folks from most other clubs where I have attended shoots should go there for a course on running a shoot.

Jim Pollock

10. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

I agree with "mt' . I like to shoot but don't want to waste 2 to 4 hours waiting from signup(squadding) untill I get to shoot. What a waste of time. OH, and I am "older" I still don't have that much time to waste------Olrusty Jack M.

11. smsnyder

w'ere de fox 'at, good answer . i heard that many times but i don't think that's the main reason. It does cause some shooters to drop out of ATA and go to sporting clays etc.

12. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Main issue;

Costs mainly, when my wife was shooting, it was everything x 2, we found we could get great "entertaiment" for less cost shooting in a good interclub league.

Lesser issue;

Combine the first issue with sandbagging and that sums it up for me.

13. smsnyder

rem870tb, i hear that one also but not the main reason.

14. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"rem870tb, i hear that one also but not the main reason."

It is when you have other interests as well, my other one is "playing" w/this;

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/03may02yamaha2003fjr1300.html

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I will say it is the BOD not listening to the membership, membership has no say anymore. The BOD took away our life memberships voting priveliges. They seem to be able to do anything they want to do, and it seems to be a good ole boys club.
    The average life member does not seem to be able to hold any office. It seems to me that most positions are filled with school teachers etc. because they have the summers off. For years I asked to be a delegate since the 1970s but it never happened.

Simply the BOD does not listen to the membership.

So many ideas are given but they fall on deaf ears, what happened to members voting on changes, instead they are being told what is in their best interest.

But this is my opinion.

Dr.longshot

16. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

I've got around 120,000 registered and can afford to shoot all I want BUT I hate sitting around. I have been to many shoots where the 16's were over and an hour later we are still sitting around waiting for the caps to start. Shot in 39 states and a few clubs are the exception but I noticed it all over the nation in one form or another. Golf and sporting is what I do now.
    ftlupton

17. clays

clays TS Member

most people quit when they finally figure out that they can no longer compete and have not made the BIG DOG status.

Clays

18. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

W'ere de fox 'at:
    I was at Mason last weekend also and it was as you said there is no waiting around between the 100's and even resetting the doubles after a singles event is pretty fast.

I guess that is why I drove 1,440.00 miles round trip last week end I knew I wasn't shooting good enough to even go but I like the people up there and the way the shoot is ran also I said I was going so I always like to keep my word.

Ok Smsnyder I would say the reason most of the weekend shooters gives it up because it is hard to compete with the big dogs if you plan on winning any money and most of the week end shooters that was to go to a big shoot would like to have a chance to win but I know a lot just shoots for targets and play no options like I have been doing a lot of lately but it does seem a waste of time and hard earned money if one spends the cost of doing it and know's that it is a no win situation to begin with.

I mostly go to the big shoots to visit old friends and if I was to do anygood then that is a bonus but it has been looking pretty slim for the last few years.

Foghorn

19. k3uro

k3uro Member

Yes,

Once I knew I was never going to be a raaly ggggggggggggggggreat shooter I had to find somthing to shoot for. The local shooters think you are pretty good becuase you break a few 100s but you know that you are just lucky? :eek:)

Than you watch the BOD raise the target minimuns to keep the rift raft out of running (that means me), there goes one more thing I can not compete for.

I can compet for High Volume though. It is me against who knows. At the end of the year it is who has the most targets. I am shooting for High Volome this year in 410. I am a Skeet shooter by nature. But I going to shoot in the OK State Shoot tomorrow through Sunday. Wish me luck. I need it.

I attend one day shoots or only shoot one day mostly Skeet or Trap. Standing around is the nature of the sport, how can you change it? I do not have enough time to waste. I have other things to do.

Of course if you limited the number of shooters at the state shoot you could reduce the waiting time? But than you would burden the clubs with the loss of rvenue for the year.

Do not forget the shooters (I am one too?) they are forever late, the sheet says 9 AM start and there is not a squad on the line ready to go? Same thing for the Handicap, where are the squads at the assigned time.

Take care you all,

Jim

20. JLW

JLW TS Member

Cost of targets and shells/components.-Jerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why are trap shooters so hateful