1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do my choke tubes come loose ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

After 3-5 rounds, my choke tube will come loose. It is greased and tightened with a wrench. It's not the tube - this happens with different tubes. So what's going on ?

It's a PIA to have one more thing to worry about when on the line. Maybe I should get the tube soldered in. <sigh>...........

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Vibration and likely different coefficients of expansion between two different metal alloys. I have found that blue locktite will cure the problem, but after time, even blue locktite on a choke tube thread is very difficult to remove. I am still looking for a locktite solvent for the blue and better yet, for the red and green varieties. Any suggestions out there?

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There is no reliable solvent for cured anaerobic thread locker/sealer, but red thread locker starts to melt at 300 deg. F (hi-temp at 450 deg); blue at slightly less.

I have seen red thread locker (ROCOL brand) take the threads out of large diameter (1"+) fine-threaded fittings and damage smaller ones.

Green (wicking) threadlocker reacts slowly when used with chromium steels and even more slowly with stainless steel unless an activator is used first.

Failure to stay tight is worse with some thread pitches/configurations than with others; differential expansion is the catalyst, poor thread match between the choke and barrel (wear, improper machining) is often the cause.

Keller

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Rotating wads are causing the problem. HMB

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

change wads and use teflon tape, works for me

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Who made those tubes? I know you say it isnt the tubes

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I shoot a fixed full choke now, though I still find myself trying to tighten the end of the barrel.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Gene:

As much as a PITA as it may appear be in having to re-tighten a tube or both... it's an minor inconvenience compared with the alternative - a rusted-in-place tube... you don't even want to go there...

Maybe not such a bad thing to make it part of your ritual... maybe using hand-tightened extended tubes might make it easier?!

Best regards always,

Jay

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Guess you could try removing the grease and then taking the chokes out each time between shoots. Good luck.

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Gene: Loosening choke tubes are very common. I had a Perazzi that would have the choke tubes loosen in less than a round of trap. I had extended tubes and I would check the tube after each station. It just got to be a habit; when I moved to the next station I would check the tightness. Ed

11. ClaysNovice

ClaysNovice Member

I have heard that Mueller choke tubes are better about staying tight since they use a different metal alloy in the construction, but I have no direct experience with the choke tubes by Mueller. It might be worth researching.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm very curious to know what causes loosening of choke tubes, too. My son and I each have Beretta 687 combos and neither of us have to continually tighten our tubes - and we use different brands of tubes. I used both Kreighoff and Wright's tubes in my KX-5; they never required constant tightening and none of them are or were hard to remove on the rare occasions that I do/did remove them for cleaning. My experience says the cause isn't the threads or the tubes but what's left?

Ed

13. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

TOO much thread tolerance.
    Caused either during manufacturing, or from over tightening.

14. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

FWIW, it happens regularly on my Beretta UGB25 (every box of shells or so), rarely on my Citori (maybe after 1,000 shells, maybe more) and never on my Kolar. So I don't think loose chokes are inevitable.

I use a very high grade chassis lube grease on my chokes, but I don't think my choice of lube has much effect on how long it takes for the chokes to get loose. I don't use loctite or any similar product.

Ted K.

P.S. It doesn't happen on my 1100 at all, but I'm pretty sure that's because that gun doesn't have interchangeable chokes.

15. DanLee

DanLee Member

I have only experienced the loosening on extended chokes. None of my flush chokes have done this. I do check with a quarter from time to time on the flush chokes, so it's not my imagination.

Dan

16. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Pay attention to how many turns it takes to tighten it back up. I'd be willing to bet that the threads are jumping a thread or two. Once it happens it will never stay tight. One things for certain, they are not unscrewing themselves. If you were able to magnify the threads you would see where the tops of the threads are rounded off. Some call it stripped.

Ever see the warning?????...DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN!!!!!!!!!!!

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

My TMX with Gen 2 Perazzi c/ts loosens up all the time, unless tightened with the wrench. Strangely they were an improvement(?) over the gen 1s, which never loosen up in my MT-6. Go Figure!

18. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

A friend of mine had the same problem with his target gun .We were out shooting
    pigeons and he asked me what he could do to stop this .I told him ,I really
    didn't know ,after he ran out of shells he went over to my truck and got some
    1 1/4 oz of steelshot 3's in a 2 3/4" load .Thinking it would be better than
    standing there watching me shoot .He shot about 10 shells and I could hear that
    they were not his normal loads .I said ,here use some of mine ,those are for
    ducks not pigeons so , we finished our shoot and he told me he has never had
    a loose choke in his gun sence ! Do I recommend this ,NO ,but it worked for him.

19. Stuart

Stuart Member

Extended Chokes do not heat up at the same rate as Flush chokes. Also a difference in the Thermal Convection rate keep the choke cooler. This allows the barrel to expand at a higher rate then the choke, causing the threads to come loose. The same as heating a nut to get it loose from the bolt. The longer the choke extends past the barrel to cooler it will be. When you see a shooter going from one post to the next, he reachs up and tweeks the choke. If he got a hold of the barrel he would get burned.
    Our best fix is Teflon Tape. If any is left in the barrel, it will not be enough to cause a gas seal failure. There is a lot of tolerance in OEM threaded barrels and with the choke thread tolerance's it can make for interesting fitting. What won't fit into your barrel, falls into the next one. This coupled with thermo reaction make it interesting.
    Hope this helps explain this the problem.
    Stu

20. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Gee! I'd be making two calls, one to the gun manufacturer assuming the gun came with OEM chokes and ask why they're coming loose and a second call to the after marker choke company with same question. Fact is, the chokes should not be shooting loose at any time.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

threadlocker choketubes

what causes my choke to loosen up