1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do I lust after a Spolar hydo reloader when my 9000h's work fine?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mike-sid, Jan 4, 2017.

1. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

Let me start by saying my 3 MEC 9000H's (12,20, &.410) are all working awesome, and have been fine tuned to turn out great shells. I like mechanical things, so when a problem came up with one of the presses, I studied the press to fix the problem, and adjusted what needed to be adjusted. My .410 loads just as good as my 12 ga now.
    Why am I drawn to the Spolar? I've never used one, but every time I see one for sale I try to convince myself I need one! I guess lack of funds holds me back, and the fact that I do not need another reloader.
    Does anyone else have this problem? or am I just nuts??

Gussers thanked this.
  2. Lagamor

Lagamor Active Member

Your not alone. My MEC's get the job done, but there's something about a shiny new toy I can't resist.

Especially, golden shiny.

mike-sid thanked this.
  3. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member

You're just nuts!

Just kidding. You are very fortunate and the direct opposite of me. I've had many, many MECs and never got one to work right for any period of time. Maybe 50 rounds, maybe 500 rounds, but somewhere, sometime, the stinking thing would go out of adjustment and I'd have to stop and fiddle with it.

I bought a Dillon and never looked back till I got "tennis elbow" and then, in the fall of 2008, I bought a hydraulic Spolar and have never had any real problems with it. Plus it's a heck of a lot faster than any MEC.

Bob

Scott Gradert, mike-sid and Gussers thanked this.
  4. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

I went from Sizemasters to the 9000h's due to tennis elbow and bone spur on my shoulder. After 50 rounds loaded my shoulder was sore.

5. SteveS1965

SteveS1965 Active Member

i have the same problem, have a mec 650 that works fine and i can do a case of shells or more an hour, and every time i sign on to the internet i am looking at the RCBS grand reloaders, i also have a 600 jr as a back up

6. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

The difference in price between a Spolar and 9000H keeps me loading with the Mec.

John Henry, mike-sid and Claypoppy thanked this.
  7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Used a MEC when I first started and lusted after a PW, because they were much better. Got one and it worked great and still does, loads great shells. Then I saw a Spolar and lusted after one of them for 10 years. The bargain of the century fell into my lap and now I have a Spolar with hydraulics and have sold the PW. One thing about the Spolars is that they don't lose any value. Oh, and they make a great shell, time after time after time.

KS-OKIE and Gussers thanked this.
  8. mac1

mac1 Active Member

I have owned and used both, the only advantage that the spolar had over the newer PW's was the ease of changing
    gauges. Now with the new 800+'s that ease has been nullifed. I do like the case activated loaders such as the
    Patriot. It is built like a tank and I would not trade it for another Spolar, it is like you set it and forget it.

Mac

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    bossbasl and mike-sid thanked this.
  9. MDshotgunner

MDshotgunner Active Member

Likewise here. I had four MEC Grabbers (9000's weren't out). I didn't like reloading the 410 because the shells wobble and cause problems. I got a deal on a 800 convertible with 410 and 28 ga dies. The shells flew out of the machine. I converted over to four PW's when the opportunity presented itself. Now I want a Spolar. All my PW's work fine. I'm familiar with how they work and what to adjust when something is wrong. I'm not reloading enough nowadays to justify buying a Spolar. But there's something about it that's calling my name.

mike-sid thanked this.
  10. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Probably just your spirit of adventure kicking in.

mike-sid thanked this.
  11. Gussers

Gussers Well-Known Member

I started loading on an old used 600jr several years ago. I paid $50 for it. Worked great, turned out great shells. Loaded thousands on it. I still have it. About a year ago I upgraded to a Hornady 366. It works flawlessly. Turns out beautiful shells. I have done all the upgrades it needs and it has large hoppers on it. I have loaded several thousand on it, and still am. Not a thing wrong with it.

I recently purchased a Spolar Gold Hydraulic. I can't wait to get it set up and going. I went to KS-OKIE's house over the summer to pick up some supplies he got for me, and saw his Spolar in action. That was a thing of beauty, and a mechanical wonder. I knew some day I would own one. Well, I happened upon a deal I couldn't pass up, and now I own one. I am in the process of moving, so I am not going to set it up till I am settled in the new digs. Seeing the boxes sitting on the floor kills me!

You are not alone, and if you get a chance, watch one in person and that will likely put you over the edge and you will be cashing in your change jar so you can buy one. I think there may be a support group for people like us, but I am not ready to admit I have a problem. I just like things that work properly, and reloading great shells.

timb99, mike-sid, KS-OKIE and 1 other person thanked this.
  12. chipped99

chipped99 Well-Known Member

I liked my HD 9000 just fine and it loaded a lot of shells but once I bought the first Spolar it wasn't as wonderful as it seemed. I've had a PW 900 hand crank since Moby Dick was a Minner and I will load the first shot of doubles on it until I buy the 3rd Spolar or I die. I like the Spolars but I will never say anything bad about a MEC. Their customer service is what makes their machines so good!!! Buy what you are comfortable with and enjoy it. Some drive a Corvette, some drive a Mustang..........That's why they make so many models...........

mike-sid, KS-OKIE and ric3677 thanked this.
  13. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

We all love a new toy. I have two 9000s that are fine,I'm dreaming about the Browning 1911 380....but the dentist wants 2k .....will l use it ,no,but 1911s irresistible.....!!!!

14. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

When you're sitting at a stop light in your Chevrolet, and a Mercedes or a Porsche pulls up next to you, do you feel maybe just a tiny bit of envy, or say to yourself "I want one of those?" We're talking human nature here and the desire to aspire to something perceived as better.

Bob Butler thanked this.
  15. lexusclays

lexusclays Member

Because you want to load more than 50 shells in a row that are perfect. You long to load a thousand rounds straight, without having to adjust anything. You want to see primers drop flawlessly but most of all, you want to spend more time shooting than you do reloading. Human nature.

MDshotgunner and Gussers thanked this.
  16. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

No, not the envy part. It make me happy seeing people with nice things. But I agree about human nature wanting thing you see. I try not to get things I want, only things I "need", like the O/U I'm buying next week!

17. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

Nope, I have great luck with my 9000h's! That's the "problem". If they were flaky it would give me an excuse to sell them and buy Spolar. Maybe it is because I threatened my presses.

18. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Well, just how did you threaten them, what did you threaten them with and what did they do that caused you to threaten them?

mike-sid and Scott Gradert thanked this.
  19. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Lust is not a virtue.

Lust does not lead to smart decisions.

WesleyB thanked this.
  20. Brent Paulus

Brent Paulus Well-Known Member

Lust. It usually ends in DIVORCE..

WesleyB, fast gun, mike-sid and 1 other person thanked this.
Search tags for this page

how much in euros costs cortini pezzotti