1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do I care about length of pull?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Other than a short one busting me in the nose with my thumb?

Yes it relates to where my cheek sits on the comb but if the rib is aligned and it shoots where I look, again, why do I care?

Would I not be better with my eye closer to the receiver?

just trying to understand and decouple the hearsay from the physics.

thanks!

2. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

If you want to get in depth on this kind of stuff, check out Rollin Oswald's book "Stock Fitter's Bible". I'll give you the short version. If your LOP is too long, the gun will seem unwieldy and wont point right and you'll have problems hitting hard angle targets on your dominant side. If it is too short, then as you said, you have the chance of smacking your nose with your thumb during recoil. I'm sure someone else has something to add, but that's my .02 for now. Josh

3. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

If it's too long you will have a tendency to "Crawl Up" Burrying you face into and crawling forward. It'll strain you, your eyes, and hinder your swing. I Would rather have a stock that has my nose about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from thumb. JMHO J.W.

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

If it is too long you can't get your finger in the trigger guard to pull the trigger.......might have to hip shoot it.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bruce, check yer PMs. Hap

6. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

tell that to A J Brenner. Hey kid your nose is to far forward! I think he uses the back of the rib as a resting spot or maybe he knows its shouldered the same everytime. I believe its like baseball. Nobody bats the same. Look at the crouch Pete Rose used or Joe Morgans jack your elbow 25 times before the pitch. If you can be competitive and shoot with no discomfort, who is to say? Birdtracker

7. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

In my experience I found that too short a stock caused me to jump at the straight aways; too long a stock I raised my head on the angles. Also, for best results, you must be comfortable with the fit.

BB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.