1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why do I break more handicap than singles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dds4horse, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I've noticed a trend in my shooting where pretty consistantly in a shoot I will break more handicap targets than singles. I am sure there is a good reason for this but being a new shooter I don't know. Is it that I concentrate more shooting handicap or does my gun perform better from the 20yrd line. I use a BT-100 with a fixed full choke.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The angles of the targets relative to you aren't as wide or high. The targets appear to be slower so you are in less of a hurry to catch them.

Keller

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I suspect it's because you don't expect to do as well at handicap so you relax more. JMHO, which is based upon speculation like the others.

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

or you need to win some yardage until that is no longer the case, or you need to get better at singles, they are good practice,because you have more gun movement on them.

5. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

I have the same issue at most shoots. Here's what I have come up with. As said in an earlier post, you don't have to work as hard to move to the bird. You are looking for the bird to appear from the house in a smaller area (Because you are further from the house) so you can acquire the bird quicker. If your experience has been anything like mine as a beginner, everyone complains about shooting handicap. This leads me to focus more on what I am doing because it's supposed to be harder.
    The converse of this is true on 16s. I am still at the 20 yd line, but when I shoot 16s I am 4 yards closer. This should be a piece of cake. You have to move the gun more in 16s and you are watching a slightly larger area in your field of vision for the bird to appear.
    I actually wonder if this phenomenon isn't more prevalent than we realize.

6. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

MMcVitty that makes a whole lot of sense I posted a while back about looping the bird and chasing it. Seems like my hold at the 20 is the same but I don't loop and I catch up to it quicker. This week I got 90 in singles and 92 in caps. after the singles I was starting to think I was developing a flinch but felt much better in the caps. I missed 3 birds due to wind gusts so what could have been a 95. I just know I have to figure it out. What about a more open choke?

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

if you notice the birds only come out a fairly small section of the roof area. hold slightly to one side of where the straight away comes out, this makes it necessary for you to still make a gun movement and not just shoot.

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

The angles are a bit less severe from the 20 yard line.

9. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

dds4horse,
    Most people will say to shoot Full choke all of the time. The reasoning is that if you are on a bird you "smoke" it. If you are shooting a full choke and are only getting pieces that tells you that you are not "on" the bird as much.
    You should spend some time, as you shoot more and with a fuller choke, to learn how to read your breaks. For instance if you pull the trigger and a small piece drops off the bottom (The biggest piece or pieces are going up) you hit the bottom of the bird. If the little pieces go off to the left, you hit the bird on the left. A Smoked bird, or a bird that has four pieces that seem the same size and go in a cross means you are on center.

There will also be people who would disagree with the full choke. The argument is that a slightly more open choke (Improved Modified or more) spreads the pattern out and improves your odds at hitting a bird with at least a few pellets.

While that might work better for you or other people, I have found that I can really work on adjusting my shooting by reading a bird.

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

In my experience (limited) a more open choke doesn't really give you a much larger diameter pattern but re-distributes some of the "hot" center core out a little thus filling in the fringes a little better. Perhaps a little evener distribution. Ross Puls

PS. I still use a fixed full.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Oscar:

On average there's only about a 1-3/4" difference in pattern diameter between a modified and an extra full choke at 36 yards. So, unless you're frequently missing by less than 7/8", which is exceedingly unlikely, choke is not your problem.

A MUCH more likely explanation is that your subconscious mind, knowing that you are a mere fraction of a percentage point from being bumped up to Class B for the Ohio State Shoot, is making you miss on purpose! ;)

-Gary

12. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

unconsious sandbagging? You know gw you might be on to something. I'm still looking for the hit target button on my gun. Everyday this trapshooting is bringing me closer and closer to psychiatric second opinion at the looney bin.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

You're not shooting at one of those clubs that starts late, throws doubles first, and farts around torturing everybody for two hours before getting the singles started, are you? In that case your singles average probably suffers because your blood is still boiling :p

-Gary

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

While you are at the twenty yard line, concentrate on handicap targets and get as good as you can. You will be getting some yardage along the way and there will be plateaus where the increased shooting distance will make handicap more and more difficult. If you are able to get to 25 - 27 yd. line there will be a point where your scores in singles will surpass handicap and that will transfer to much higher singles scores.

I wouldn't worry about the singles. They'll come along as your proficiency in handicap improves. Set goals for yourself and work to achieve them.

One tip on singles. Make sure you work hard on seeing a whole target before you move the gun and don't let it get the jump on you.

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The clue here is the statement "but being a new shooter I don't know"

dds4horse , As you shoot more targets you will likely find out your handicap average will not be higher. Singles are shot first and some days it just takes a while to get into the swing of things.

16. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one thinking The Hoppe or Vegas with this guy. Lmao. Horse you shoot with both eyes open?

17. dhip

dhip Active Member

I agree,Your just getting warmed up by the time the Handicaps start.Shoot MORE targets per visit to the club.Everything will improve.Oh,don't forget,Mount your gun at home at least 100 times a day.Builds your strength up.Especially the day your going shooting.It'll warm your muscles up and you'll be ready for those singles.

Doug H.

18. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Notice that he never said anything about his singles/handicap differences being related to registered targets so it's not obvious in what order he's shooting them. If he really wants to know the answer to his question he should probably invest in the services of a shooting coach. Free advice is generally worth what it costs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.