1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do good shooters complain so much?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by C H S, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C H S

C H S TS Member

I went to a shoot this weekend and it was a little windy. I shot on a bank where the targets were unpredictable when the wind was gusty; one trap went low and the other went high. I shot a 96 on that bank. I'm a B class shooter and my misses were dumb stuff. I didn't find the targets that hard to hit. The other guys on my squad all commented on the wind but they just shoot the targets.

Anyway, after we shot a squad of AA and AAA shooters came to the club house whining loudly about how bad the targets were on that bank. The guys who set the traps checked the settings and said they were as good as they ever were and the wind was the problem. More whining and blubbering. I thought the whole idea was to shoot the targets where they went instead of where you wanted them to go?

Andy

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

And now you know the difference between "some" trapshooters and puppies!!

Curt - Delaware

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Doesn't everyone know that if the wind bumps the targets around that it's the club's/target setter's fault? LOL! Unfortunately those who do the most complaining have never set targets nor have much of an idea how to run a club.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I think complaints like this are comical...and these guys take themselves so seriously. They complain about challenging targets and sometimes won't shoot then are paranoid about "sandbaggers" - is there a difference between not shooting to "protect your average" and deliberately missing a target to "sandbag"? Shoot them in the air! If they want targets that don't move, break out the BB guns and paper targets. Best Regards, Ed

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the Spring Grand at Litchfield, More than once on an early squad the cowards would scratch and resquad for later because the wind was blowing, and Dale and I wound up shooting a 2 man squad.

Why sign up on an early squad if you may not shoot it? These guys were legends, but only in their own minds.

HM

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Haven't noticed that the complaining is limited to the "good shooters",

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

everyone shoots at the same targets whether they be high or low or on occassion "PERFECT" shoot well i am going to the iowa state shoot this week & hope i do well. either way I WILL ENJOY MYSELF & HAVE FUN. shoot well. dwain

8. Straight99

Straight99 Member

The good shooters shoot at all the targets and don't complain. The sandbagers are always engineering every shot for the right score.

9. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I find that both trap and skeet shooters complain about targets and distractions.
    Why don't they just shoot the bird where it is.
    In sporting clays, distractions are built into the game as are the vagaries of wind and terrain.
    Is trap shooting really shooting, or anticipation?

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Here's the normal progression with shooters: First you start out ignorant (no insult intended) and haven't a clue whether birds are good or not but you miss a lot. In time you begin to recognize poorly set birds and/or those that are being affected by wind, visibility, or background. Next you work your way through the classes, near or reach the top and complain like crazy if the birds aren't "perfect" because you still haven't perfected the skills of a true "top dog." Finally and if you DO ever reach this level, you recognize the imperfections of birds, background, weather, yada yada and learn to deal with whatever is dealt to you. Does everyone reach all these levels? Heck no! Finances, motivation, inherent skills, and physical abilities all limit most of us to one level or another. Especially me....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

They are not shooters but instead are people who think they know how to shoot but cant shoot unless they perceive everything to be 101% perfect to there liking. Just pray you never shoot on a squad with some of them ... if you shoot better than they will either complain that you are a sandbagger or that there was some other problem but if they had beat you by just 1 target and win they wont have a complaint in the world.

Ya know this all kind of reminds me of something that was overheard on the range this weekend ...

The wind began to pickup and started the birds a dancing when all of a sudden a you heard a shooter yell out and say ... "Yeah Baby! Now its getting fun" ... and ya know he was right. I saw few good/great shooters begin to miss and start complaining about this and that while many others began to compensate and break targets, most of them shot just as good or better as if there had been no wind at all.

Real shooters do not complain and that is why complainers are not real shooters. The sport has all kinds in it and the complaining shooters are the worst kind to have in it.

12. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Dear Mr. Dodd, I've been reading your posts with interest and admiration for a while now but the above is one of your best. You've covered not only the progression but the realities of trap (life?) while including a little self effacing humor. My high regards. Mike

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Bob Dodd,
    Great answer!!!

I am a new (ignorant) shooter. I do not complain about targets very much if at all. I figure they are the same for everyone on the squad and my job is to learn to break them all.

I see "good" shooters pissing and moaning about target speeds/heights/spin. These folks get bothersome, boring and irritate me.

I have been lucky to shoot with more than one All-American this past year and notice they do not complain very much. They just break targets like a machine. That may be why they are "great" shooters.

Don

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Jackie ... I would not consider you to be a complainer in that instance but just a typical skeet shooter ... just kidding but seriously pointing out an obvious problem is not complaining unless you stood there and also went on about how it effected your score and it was that one little problem as to why you shot the way you did and that was why ... well ... about a this or that ago is when you would have become one of them complainer.

15. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

I don't shoot registered targets any more, so scores and averages don't mean much. I like to shoot on windy days, the windier, the better. The wife and I were shooting, just the two of us, a couple months ago, when a thunderstorm passed through. Gusy winds and rain - it was of the most fun shoots we've had in a long time. We were both wet and laughing when we finished.

Of course I really like shooting birds, and they never fly like they're supposed to. Late season doves with a good tail wind, 10 foot leads, and 50% is a great score.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All very good, but when you pay 40 plus doallars a gun to shoot registered birds, they should be thrown a little better than Poorly. Management should set the targets according to the rules. I will shoot them high or low, fast or slow, but they should cross in the middle.

If this was a registered event the birds should have been checked and set.

Practice is a different matter. I love dicey birds then.

HM

17. porky

porky TS Member

Bob Dodd, Great explaination. Here's another way to say it with descriptions. At first a trapshooter has.
    "Unconscious Incompetence" ( Don't know what they don't know ).
    The next step is " Conscious Incompetence " ( Know what can be done, but can't do it yet continually ).
    Then they progress to " Conscious Competence " ( They manually think their way through the process because they know what has to be done, but it is still mechanical ).
    Lastly they move to " Unconscious competence " ( the accomplished trapshooter can apply the techniques automatically without having to think through each shot ).

18. C H S

C H S TS Member

halfmile,

This was a registered shoot and the traps were each set the evening before the event while the weather was calm. I watched them set each trap with both a t-bar and a radar gun. All the traps were fine. The whiners wanted the traps to be reset to compensate for the wind that the rest of us had already shot in. Ain't no way that they were going to have those traps messed with to throw low targets for them while the rest of us shot them as they were, and I don't care if they paid $400 a gun.

Andy

19. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

In a perfect world Git-ER-Done! I totally agree with you and Bob Dod. Getting better involves taking risks for the sake of learning! Trap shooters are not known for this type of behavior.

20. ky.shooter

ky.shooter Active Member

C H S , The only question I would have is: were the birds that were set the night before still legal birds with the wind blowing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.