1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do Estates smell so bad after firing?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by laura!, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laura!

laura! Member

I think it's the powder - sure produces way more smoke than my handloads.

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I agree it's the powder. Hard to believe they come from Federal. Nothing compares to the smell of new Federal papers fired on a crisp fall morning. If a guy could figure out how to bottle that smell, he'd be rich!

Jeff

3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

powder is the cause.

But... its all for naught. I heard Federal is discontinuing the Estate Line of economy shells.

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Nothing I've shot smells worse than Noble papers. Estates are like Fed papers when compared to the nobles.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Bat feces.......

6. laura!

laura! Member

I think it's the powder - sure produces way more smoke than my handloads.

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I agree it's the powder. Hard to believe they come from Federal. Nothing compares to the smell of new Federal papers fired on a crisp fall morning. If a guy could figure out how to bottle that smell, he'd be rich!

Jeff

8. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

powder is the cause.

But... its all for naught. I heard Federal is discontinuing the Estate Line of economy shells.

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Nothing I've shot smells worse than Noble papers. Estates are like Fed papers when compared to the nobles.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Bat feces.......

11. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

The old timers will tell you that the Winchester papers(Super Targets?) were the worst smelling shells ever shot!!!

Gene

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I had some really old shells I loaded a long time ago with IMR 7625 and shot a month or so ago. Boy did they stink bad......worse than Estates.

13. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I've always complained how about bad Estates smell and how dirty they made my guns. I think they use whatever is left over to make those shells. My Browning loves them though and I've shot some pretty good scores with them, but they do stink - badly.

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Rog3r that on the smell of the paper Super Target, but I think the Estates are worse; but here's a question. Nearly every place I shoot carries Estates, and many clubs don't have anything else. When they discontinue Estates, what will we be able to get?

15. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

sorry guys, it's more likely the base burning. They can use oil soaked or similar insulating papers in the process (for fire proofing). I bet you they even used asbestos, PCB, and Fyrquell oils for insulation. Want to prove it? empty an estate into a Fed gold medal hull (all plastic) and I bet it wont stink.

Similar case; Remington SP hulls (asbestos like composite) with red dot stink awful; you cant call that a powder issue.

regards

16. gotbass

gotbass Member

I thought it was Piddy's breath blowing back in his face.

17. nipper

nipper TS Member

its the base wad

bill

18. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

As much as I hate to say it, I have to agree with pittance on this one. They REEK!!!!!!! To me, it smells like a mixture of burning cardboard and sulfur.

My 682 does not like them at all. It won't matter to me whether they continue to make them or not.

I also challenge the "economy" statement made above. I don't consider them economy when there are cheaper shells available that are of better quality.

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

What's a "Trool"?

Curt

20. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Guys,

I have been shooting about 18 flats of 1 oz. Estates that I bought when they were around $50 a flat. I reload them with 17.7 gr of Promo. IMHO it is the original powder that gives Estates their distinctive odor. The reloads smell like Promo when they are fired. The fired reloaded hulls no longer have the objectionable odor, so I don't believe it is the base wad that is contributing to the smell. BTW, I reload them twice and then toss them. They do reload nicely on my PW 800 Plus.

I fired some cheapie ($37.50 a flat) WW 1 oz. last Monday that are rated at 1350 fps that I had bought from from Wally World . They too, have an unpleasant odor and I do not reload them.

Be safe,

HBT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.