1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do custom stocked guns have recoil reducers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I look at beautiful custom wood on a high grade shotgun then my eyes drift to the butt and there hangs some kind of God awfull looking contraption. Why spend all that money on expensive wood custom fitted and then still have to put an ugly recoil reducer on the butt? I thought stock fit took care of recoil, are some so recoil sensitive they want to feel nothing at all?

I'd rather have a PF, it don't look like it belongs but it works and no wood was sacrificed. LOL

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Because a perfectly fitted shotgun still kicks. A fitted stock just distributes the recoil more evenly.

"I'd rather have a PF, it don't look like it belongs but it works and no wood was sacrificed."

That is a 100% sacrifice!

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Sometimes the "custom stock" was bought second hand.

ss

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have thought the same thing many times. I have custom stocks and they do fit well and recoil is easier to take with them. That said, There is nothing like a G-Square and many people ( Myself included) would love to feel zero. If they made PFS stocks for the guns I shoot, I would love to try one of them. So for now I am stuck with the ugly thing hanging off my gun.

This notion that a perfectly fitted gun doesn't kick was never stated by me. The Winchester 101 has got to be the hardest kicking shotgun I ever shot and the law of averages says that the damn thing had to fit somebody but most people will tell you that they kick like a mule. That gun fit me like a glove as far as I was concerned, It just kicked my head off anyway. Jeff

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Silver,

I have posted similar threads in the past. Get ready for the offended, free country, I can do what I want with my gun, turning political and cynical, and argumentative posts to follow.

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Hey, It's an honest question. It has been stated manmy times by the sages of Trapshooters and others that a custom stock is all you need to limit recoil. That notion is pure horses%&T. The level at which we find recoil tolerable and able to stay in the gun is diffrent for every one of us. The fact that I can not handle recoil with the same grace I once did does not make me a pansy.

This game is one of perfection and anything that helps a person to do that will be tried by anybody who is affected by recoil. I shoot a 28ga for almost everything I do anymore. Lot's of reasons why but lack of felt recoil is certainly among them. Jeff

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Balance....a little more weight is usually a good thing and if that added weight actually lessens recoil as bit, so much the better...

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jeff, a few of the "sages" are FOS on many topics and this one isn't any different.

My idea of a great stock is the one giving me the least felt recoil! Fitted is first, then weight through many forms including x,y and z other felt recoil reducing gizmo's that work.

Hap

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

How well or how poorly a stock fits has absolutely nothing to do with the real recoil of a gun. What both effect is the perceived (or felt) recoil of the gun. You can change real recoil only by 1. increasing the weight of the gun 2.reducing the weight and/or velocity of the shot charge or 3. redirecting a portion of the real recoil between the gun and the shooters shoulder.

There are some of us who have taken so much recoil pounding over so many years that even a well fitted gun with light loads becomes uncomfortable in the course of a 300+ bird shoot. We then put a device that redirects some of the mild recoil so that we get as little recoil as possible. And speaking for myself I really could care less if anybody likes it as long as it cuts my recoil absorption to the minimum.

--- Chip King ---

10. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Why do custom stocks have recoil reducers? Because the buyer asked for it.

11. yansica1

yansica1 Member

The reason is the shooter had money for a custom stock AND sense.

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Do you want to look good or shoot well, that's the basic question. If a PFS, GraCoil, soft touch, custom stock, porting,, back-boring. lengthened forcing cones, padded commb, release triggers or any other device aids comfort and improvers performance; then every one one of these additions are valid meeting the end goal of hitting more targets. Looking good gets you nothing, but an ah! gee what a pretty gun, nice hat too.

You can be the guy who cares about one thing and one thing only, running winning scores, not what his equipment looks like. Or you can be the other guy who wants to "look the part" loosing a few targets for the sake of looking pretty. We all have a choice. But don't ding someone who's chosen comfort and preformance over looks.

Surfer

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Also I find I can tolerate 50 shots for league without a problem. Now shooting an ATA event 200 singles 100 caps and 50 pair doubles AINT goin to happen without a gracoil on my Joel Etchens 687 pretty wood or not.

Its all personal preference.

Jerry

14. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

I might look bad but it feels real good!
    chipdaddy_2009_19029.jpg

15. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Pretty is as pretty does!

16. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Some people may see "ugly", the owner see's (is that a word?): "this lets me do what I have to do... break targets".

17. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

My custom DeVault stock doesn't have a recoil reducer.

I asked Dennis to put one on when he was building the stock, and he suggested that I shoot his stock before he put a recoil reducer on it, and then see if I felt I really needed it. He said that if I felt I needed the recoil device AFTER I shot his stock, he would put on one.

I shot it with no recoil reducer. There was NO felt recoil, with the same loads I've been shooting for years.

I don't how he does it, but it works, and there is NO felt recoil. Does the gun recoil? of course it does, but I don't feel it.

Now THAT is a custom stock......courtesy Dennis DeVault.
    topsingledt10_2009_01076.jpg

18. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

If a custom fitted stock has been fit right and built right you should not need a recoil reducer. The difference is need or want. My molar had a rad on it and my krieghoff has a custom stock on it. The krieghoff feels like it has less recoil.

19. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

no reducer on mine either -
    garywaalkes_2008_030310.jpg

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well la dee fricken da! You boys don't have recoil reducers. You are truly men among men. I have a devault stock and it has a reducer on it. I put it on it. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.