1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Do All of my Trap Guns Shoot Left?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Star4Ever, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Hi Guys:
    This is a good hot stove question and one that has perplexed me for a while.

When I pattern my guns at 32 Yards, (with the comb set neutral), freehand, with a slow lift to hit the mark on the patterning board... I always see the same result from each and every gun I own (that is quite a few SBT's)...

The pattern is always centered to the LEFT of the point of aim. Usually by 4 inches or so.

I am forced to correct this my moving my comb about 1/4" to the right. I do this gradually by moving the comb from neutral to the right in 1/16" increments.

I shoot with a head vertical position, raising the SBT up to my face. Got into this habit as I have a longish neck and prescription glasses. I found my best shooting takes place when I look through the center of the shooting eyeglass lens. So a head down position for me is not too good as I am looking through the top of my lens which gives some distortion.

Am I alone here? Or is there some fundamental flaw with my shooting style or technique.?

I use a pull trigger. I do not have any custom stocks but have all the adjustments in the way of comb, pad and even adjustable ribs on a few guns.

All ears....
    Thanks for you time and I look forward to your input.

Art

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You are oviously not looking straight down the rib with the comb in the neutral position, thus having to make the adjustment ... If you are looking straight down the ribs then either all of your guns are screwed up or by chance it could be you,(vision etc) which would be my bet ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have experienced the same thing on some of my guns. It's always left.

4. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

You might be canting your gun, lower your right elbow. If you get your elbow too high it forces your gun into your cheek and with a high shooting gun your pattern is to the left, likewise if you cant your gun to the right your pattern is to the right. Look in a mirror, mount your gun with your eyes shut and then open them and see if it's canted. Brad

5. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Star, I just went thru what you are talking about. WPT and BRAD nailed it it is definatly one of those.Could have swore I was looking strate down the rib ,but was not.

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I wish I could figure out why my guns shoot left, right, high, or low sometimes

It has to be the gun LOL

7. drgondog

drgondog Member

All the reasons above.

Having said that, "Always Left" on a moving target can only have three root causes - 1.) "fat stock or fat face" for a rh shooter makes it impossible to truly keep your master eye looking straight down the rib, 2.) Cross firing when left eye takes over, 3,) severe cant which is usually caused by 1.) above.

If that happens to me the wood rasp usually follows after I do the 'close your eyes, bring the gun to your face and look down the rib at a mirror. That will catch both the cant and the fat face problem.

Regards,

Bill

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Probably because you are a normal person and your stocks don't have enough offset from the factory. So you just need to move the comb to the right. Dennis DeVault really seems to understand this and builds stocks with offset not cast. So when I get my custom stock made it will definitely be with him!

9. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

all of my guns shoot left also, until i put a level on my gun to test pattern them. then by some miracle they shoot straight. i assume you are right handed. left handers have the opposite problem, their guns shoot to the right. lol...milt luther

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Tom Smith told me most right handed shooters pull to the left on pattern boards.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You did not say, but I am assuming you are a right handed shooter? Yes?

I've talked to hundreds of right and left handed shooters over the years to find out why some right handers pattern to the left, and some left handers pattern to the right. What I have found...punching paper is more difficult than shooting a moving target.

If you are a right handed shooter trying to print some paper, your left forearm tightens up just before you pull the trigger. (anticipating recoil) When that happens, gripping your fore arm just a little, causes your bicep to tighten and the gun will print left every time. Same thing happens for left handed shooters.

Same shooters with live targets do not have this problem. Why? because they don't anticipate recoil, they know its coming, and swinging through a target is easier then punching paper.

Wayne

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Canting to the right.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Shannon speaks truth. th other truth lies in that you sidesaddle your stock andcall pull, the facial muscles nudge the comb away and you shoot left. But most of it is the yank on the trigger moves the gun left. It's the "yank" yank.

14. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

I am surprised that no one above offered the obvious (and correct) answer: CAST-OFF. Just as a ramped rib is an 'auto correction' for a rising target, cast-off is a built in compensation for wide shoulders or prominent cheek. Your shot pattern goes left because the butt of the gun is not directly behind your eye but wider to the right. Your barrel is pointing to the left of the target when your eye sights the pin. It has cost me a lot of money to learn this the old fashioned way. $$$$$$$

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Many many years ago when I took a wood rasp to the side of my comb to make offset I nicknamed my work "poor man's cast off" but today on a custom made stock you could call offset "rich man's cast off". I agree that too much cast off will cause recoil into your face where offset will not.

16. tudurgs

tudurgs Member

Assuming you are right-handed, is it possible that your left eye is your master eye?

17. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Have someone else load your gun and not let you see what is being loaded. At some time have him without you knowing load a shell that will not fire or not put in a shell. I bet you are pulling the gun to the left in anticipation of the recoil. Your friend can tell you right away if you flinched. This is very common..

18. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you don't have a fat head you could have a narrow pupilary distance

Ed Yanchok

19. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Wow Guys! You all came up with some great ideas and questions.....

SO.... YES I am a RIGHT HANDED SHOOTER....

Again, this left handed printing bias at the patterning board happens with most all guns I own when things are set up neutral or in the middle when the gun is NEW to me. To correct this bias, I have to move the comb to the right, in small graduations, and then for the most part, I begin to print dead on at about 1/4" right offset on the comb or there a bouts.

The canting idea is a good one, I will check that out at a mirror.

Once I get the gun set up the left hand bias is gone.

I think the reason for the left hand bias is a wide face/cheekbone that needs to move to the right in order to center the eye down the rib. Pretty common I guess for off the shelf gunstocks.

Keep em coming....

Art

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

shoot the gun on bags like a rifle so your hold does not affect it before you jump to conclusions. Then when you find out it's not the gun go back to shooting targets.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why do my rifles shoot to the left