Trapshooters Forum banner

Why did you go to a release?

4K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  JACK 
#1 ·
I never really tried a release trigger.I don't know what the percentage is but it seams like 50/50 pull vs release.

Why did you go to a release... why would you recommend it.

#8 ·
I have shot with a release since 1990 but I never had the "I can't pull the trigger" type of flinch. My problem was to jerk the forend of the gun down and to the left either because of a crossfire or anticipation of recoil. I was in a clinic and Kay told me that I had the flinch. I can handle the release just fine for Singles and Handicap but I have struggled with a Double Release for ten years now and honestly feel that I would have been better off with Pull/Pull and an occasional flinch than the fight I'm now going through.

#7 ·
I have shot with a release since 1990 but I never had the "I can't pull the trigger" type of flinch. My problem was to jerk the forend of the gun down and to the left either because of a crossfire or anticipation of recoil. I was in a clinic and Kay told me that I had the flinch. I can handle the release just fine for Singles and Handicap but I have struggled with a Double Release for ten years now and honestly feel that I would have been better off with Pull/Pull and an occasional flinch than the fight I'm now going through.

#9 ·
I took up shooting a release / pull for doubles as it helped me overcome a bit of target panic on the first shot. Continued shooting pull, with good results, for about two years. Finally switched to release on my single barrel when I was convinced it was going to improve my shooting. And it did. Steve J

#17 ·
There were occassions when I felt like I pulled the trigger four or five times to get the gun to fire. And it was happening much too often. By the time it fired I was usually way off target. The double release has offered new problems, hanging onto the trigger for the second shot I sometimes double up on first birds. I still believe it due to the gun recoiling on my shoulder and me not hanging onto the grip tight enough.

Big Jack

#21 ·
I developed a serious flinch that I could not work through. I went to a release on my two trap guns and have not flinched since doing so. And my scores improved. And I enjoy it more. I still flinch when shooting my pull/pull over/under at skeet or clays.

#25 ·
mich746, i went to a release because i was "flinching" so bad other shooters thought i was "Epiliptic" (spelling) and i mean NO offense to ANYONE. It was so bad it happened (15) times in 100 singles targets. Release was the Easiest thing i have done in trapshooting.. JMO. Joe joe90t

#26 ·
Just bought a release/pull trigger to deal with a flinch that's almost as bad. Flinching is driving me nuts. I can kinda get away with minor flinching in singles, but it's just killing me in caps. Shot a truly awful score this afternoon at Mason. That ain't my idea of a good time.

Tried the release trigger in practice, and so far, it's not helping. Yes, you can still flinch with a release trigger. I just have to get comfortable with it, I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.