1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did you go to a release?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mich746, Jun 29, 2013.

1. mich746

mich746 Member

I never really tried a release trigger.I don't know what the percentage is but it seams like 50/50 pull vs release.

Why did you go to a release... why would you recommend it.

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Don't do it...Just be smarter then the trigger...

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I went to a release because I devoloped a bad flinch. It stopped it. That
    was 20 years ago. I also break the targets sooner than when I was shooting a pull trigger.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have shot with a release since 1990 but I never had the "I can't pull the trigger" type of flinch. My problem was to jerk the forend of the gun down and to the left either because of a crossfire or anticipation of recoil. I was in a clinic and Kay told me that I had the flinch. I can handle the release just fine for Singles and Handicap but I have struggled with a Double Release for ten years now and honestly feel that I would have been better off with Pull/Pull and an occasional flinch than the fight I'm now going through.

5. mich746

mich746 Member

I never really tried a release trigger.I don't know what the percentage is but it seams like 50/50 pull vs release.

Why did you go to a release... why would you recommend it.

6. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Don't do it...Just be smarter then the trigger...

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I went to a release because I devoloped a bad flinch. It stopped it. That
    was 20 years ago. I also break the targets sooner than when I was shooting a pull trigger.

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have shot with a release since 1990 but I never had the "I can't pull the trigger" type of flinch. My problem was to jerk the forend of the gun down and to the left either because of a crossfire or anticipation of recoil. I was in a clinic and Kay told me that I had the flinch. I can handle the release just fine for Singles and Handicap but I have struggled with a Double Release for ten years now and honestly feel that I would have been better off with Pull/Pull and an occasional flinch than the fight I'm now going through.

9. NintyT

NintyT Member

I took up shooting a release / pull for doubles as it helped me overcome a bit of target panic on the first shot. Continued shooting pull, with good results, for about two years. Finally switched to release on my single barrel when I was convinced it was going to improve my shooting. And it did. Steve J

10. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

I shoot both, but I tend to like the release better. I have no problems swapping from release/release to pull/pull triggers and back again. I don't even know why I switch between them, something different I guess.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

because it's the smoothest, lightest trigger available...

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Flinch...

13. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

Ten flinches in 100 shots. Since I went to a release, I may have one flinch in a couple of hundred shots. I can shoot a pull trigger if I have to, but I still flinch when I do.

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I went to a release so I could continue shooting. You can still flinch with a release.

15. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

My scores were going South. Had release installed and they improved (big time) immediately. It smoothed me out and did wonders for my confidence.

16. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I went to a release in the 1970s due to flinching. It pretty much cured that problem, but the biggest benefit is that I have way more control of the gun with a release. I shoot releases for Trap, Skeet and Sporting.

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

There were occassions when I felt like I pulled the trigger four or five times to get the gun to fire. And it was happening much too often. By the time it fired I was usually way off target. The double release has offered new problems, hanging onto the trigger for the second shot I sometimes double up on first birds. I still believe it due to the gun recoiling on my shoulder and me not hanging onto the grip tight enough.

Big Jack

18. sixten38

sixten38 Member

Because it is easier to let go than to pull, takes way fewer muscles and, at least to me, makes sense to let go as you are moving rather than to tighten everything up while in motion. Cannot use it for all things but for Trap and skeet it makes sense.

19. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Sixten38, very well put, I agree with you it is SOO much easier.

Trap-4

20. lostandout

lostandout Member

i called spears as im starting to have trouble pulling the trigger and was told to go with release pull as most shooters are able to pull the trigger on the second shot

brian