1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did both barrels shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I have a question.....Was shooting with a friend today and he was shooting a Beretta 682 O/U. The barrel select was one 1 dot. On a single target, both barrels shot. It happened again on the next single. We had him move the select to 2 dots. It didn't happen again. I think that the 1 dot is for the bottom barrel first and the 2 dots, top barrel first. WHY would both barrels go off?

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Should not have happened must be something wrong with the inertia block
    or there is a sear problem.

Is this a new gun or has he been shooting it for a while.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longhshot

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Unless they were shooting doubles there should have been only 1 shell in the gun???

4. yvonne

We were shooting 5 stand. You can shoot twice at the first target, a single.

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

selector might not have been all the way over

6. yvonne

EuroJoe....I was wondering if that was possible and waiting for someone to say it. I remember when anything I owned, had to change from one function to another, it made an audible "click". This gun didn't do that. I questioned "did you hear it click into place when you changed the selector"? I would think this is a safety issue with the gun, if a newbie changed the selector and this happens. If anyone has any other comments, recommendations, etc. please let me know. I want to help this fella.

7. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Member

It may be a sear issue or it could be filthy inside. First I would pull the stock and clean it out, lube and inspect.
    Have him take it to a smith if he doesn't feel comfortable with that. Please treat the gun with caution until it is verified safe to use.

8. yvonne

This gun just got back from the gunsmith. I sold it to the gentleman and had the gunsmith go over it and replace anything that had to be replaced before I put it up for sale. It was DEFINATLY both barrels at once! KABOOM!

9. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I had a 682 Trap double on me shooting sporting a few yeras ago, I looked around asked the guys what was that???My buddy asked when the last time it was stripped down,it did not double on me again I now longer own it.Doubling definately gets one attention.

Jim

10. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

first thing I would look at are the hammers and sears. There is very little contact there, even new, and there may be some wear. If the connectors were changed out one or both may need to be adjusted to allow for better engagement of the sear/hammer. Send it to a trustworthy gunsmith and they can figure it out. I would suggest Skeet's gunshop in Tahlequah, OK but that is just my opinion. There are other good ones out there too.

11. gary0920

gary0920 Member

A loose stock will also cause a gun to double.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a 686 that has doubled with me a couple of times. When selecting the barrel first to fire you must make sure it goes all the way over or it could result in doubling. I was shooting reloads 21.3 grains of green dot and both barrels went off at the same time. It really got my attention but I immediately looked at the selector and noted that it wasn't all the way over to the right. Jackie B.

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

yvonne, if you never had the gun do it for you and now after coming back from a gunsmith you have this issue? What exactly did the gunsmith do/ charge you for. Wrong springs could cause this as the selector inbetween position. How light is poundage on triggers?

14. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I think this is a selector problem. I have a Franchi field gun that doubled on me a couple times, and when I investigated, I determined it to be a little bit of wear in the selector positioning, and a little bit of wear internally, which allowed both hammers to drop at once, causing the double. It could be fixed temporarily by pushing the selector over HARD, and checking it every couple of shots. Needless to say, I got it all tightened up before I shot it much more.

15. GaryMC

GaryMC TS Member

I've got a 682 Gold and the same thing happen to me once in 15 years. I went to shoot the first of a report pair and KABOOM! Both barrels went off and the single disappeared no dust, nothing. I looked down at the barrel selector and it was exactly in the middle of the one and two dots. How it got there I don't know but it only happened once but made enough of an impression that I check the barrel selector before I shoot.

16. dmdegood

dmdegood TS Member

I have a 682 gold e that did the same thing. Sent it to Cole Gunsmithing in
    Maine and they cleaned it, adjusted the inertia system, replaced the firing pin spring, cocking lever lock spring and top lever lock spring. I also had them
    convert it to extract only. Cost $300 including shipping. Problem solved. Good People

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.