1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why detroit is broke: Union horseshoer, no horses

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) pays a “horseshoer” $29,245 in salary and roughly $27,000 in benefits. There’s only one problem — Detroit has no horses for the horseshoer to shoe.

Some critics argue that the department has been turned into some sort of a government jobs program. Meanwhile, the local union president says it is “not possible” to eliminate positions, the Michigan Capitol Confidential reports.

The horseshoer’s job description, which was last updated in 1967 (Lyndon B. Johnson was president), is “to shoe horses and to do general blacksmith work… and to preform related work as required,” according to the department’s website.

More at the link.

Note that there has been no Republican mayor in over four decades and only one Republican councilman in all that time. The liberals OWN this.

2. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why does this kind of lunacy not surprise me..?????

3. alf174

alf174 Member

That's nothing. A new Wayne County jail (the county Detroit resides in) is $91-120 million over budget and all they have to show for it is some re-bar sticking out of the ground and a few walls standing. "They" want to broom the project and spend another $100 million to renovate some older buildings. The Wayne County Executive is neck deep in this and is the former sheriff.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Regarding the jail: Obviously, as is often the case, the politicians have been stealing the money. Similar events happened in Cleveland, but at least a couple of them went to jail. Domocrats.

-Gary

5. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I guess I don't know which to article to believe. Brian's is dated August 2012 and this link is September 2012, both are old.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

noknock, the horseshoer works for the WATER DEPARTMENT.

I am quite sure the Police can't take their horses over there to be shod, and secondly the union would not allow it.

This public employee union thing is completely out of hand almost everywhere and Detroit is on top of the list, along with Stockton, CA.

HM

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

"The shop “also … repairs equipment and works with various metals and welding for the department when needed.”

"When needed", most likely all the time.

You don't suppose it's more of a title from yesteryear than a job where the horse shoer just does nothing but shoe horses.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    By union rules, is a horseshoer allowed to weld, use a lathe, fix vehicles, or fix wiring, etc., or are those jobs for a union welder, union machinist, union mechanic or union electrician?

And this is not the police department. This is a horseless water department. They've not had a horse for over 100 years. Yet they've had a horseshoer position all that time.

I notice the police department seeks donations to fund their horses. At least something in Detroit isn't sucking the taxpayer teat.

9. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I guess I didn't see the part of the article that said the horseshoer does not or is prohibited from shoeing a police horse. I guess that is why Indy is not going bankrupt. If we need an electrician to do something, then a city electrician comes over and "does it," for example... I suspect LIKES TO SHOOT is closer to the money on this one.

10. oz

oz Active Member

where are GM vehicles being made today?

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Same places as Fords....,