1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why de we switch guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have swapped and bought over a 100 trapguns over 42 years. I have owned almost all trapguns, 1st was a 1100 trap, 870 TB&TC,M-12s, 101s, Rottweil 72AAT, Browning Recoiless,Bowen,KX-5, KS-5,Browning BT-99,BT-100, Citori, BT-99+,Broadways, B-2000s, XT-Adj. rib,Kolars Combo & TSs,Preazzi TM-1, MX-15,MX-15L,TMXs,MX-2000s,Ljutic Mono-Centenial Pro, PRO-3s, Dixie Specials, HDCP Specials, LTXs,Alfermans, Seitzs, K-80s, Beretta, Win 1400s,1200s, 303s,390s,391s,682E,687s,682Gold E Adj,Weatherby Athena, I owned one gun 5 different times,several others 3 times, and few more 2 times, Franchi Auto,Franchi 2005 combo,Beretta DT-10,391Teknys,Mach One, Rem 90-T,.

I can say the best feeling guns were model 12s, and the Silver Seitz's
    Of all I liked the Silver Seitz the best, feel, fit, recoil, pattern, POI.

I now have owned 5 different Caesar Guerini's. and the present one 3 different times, have modified rib adjustments to obtain 20"inches at 30 yards.

All in the search for that Magic Gun I would say I should hang on to this one.

I know some of you have done the same thing, I wish I had the money I lost on the swaps and buys back.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Why do we switch guns?

Because we can, and its fun. You know, its not the kill its the thrill of the chase. Looking for the perfect gun is enjoyable. Plus, trapshooters, are always thinking they may have an edge if they have a different gun.

John

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I switch girl friends not guns.

Eric

4. superump

superump TS Member

ya but the guns are a lot cheaper than girlfriends and a lot less kick!! Ha

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is common for beginners to upgrade as they get more serious about the game and as their skill develops.

Fortunately, I started this madness late in life. I will not live long enough to make a lot of gun changes; and I have learned to NEVER compromise. Buy THE BEST you cannot afford and learn to use it. It will save you money in the long run. It is likely the gun I now use may be my last trap gun.

My Tyrannosaurs Rex head requires a lot of cast off so I cannot shoot a gun with a "normal" or close to normal stock. Therefore, I rarely try anyone else's gun. It is unlikely I will shoot a lucky score with a new gun that gets my little pea brain thinking of a change.

Most shooters would be better off investing in lessons and a good stock fit if they have a decent trap gun presently.

Don Verna

6. dhip

dhip Active Member

Sooo,does this mean I ought to start looking,since I bought a Citori sporting clay special because it seemed to fit with the adjustable butt plate.Been told I would probably do better with a trap gun shooting trap.Also have read that using a flat shooting gun is harder,sooo,does that mean if I learn to break em all with the Citori it will be easier with a Trap gun??

Doug H.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

First we start out with no money..and vision.. Then we learn a little.. think we know it all..and start up the ladder.. Then we learn a little bit more..So.. gun change next.. Then we have a little more money.. and buy a different gun... Then we shoot more often..and see someone shooting something else..and he's doing well with it..That's our next purchase..When it doesn't work as well as we hoped for..and a "deal" comes up on something else.. we're next in line.. Finally we bite the bullet and get a custom stock and realize.. if that were on the shotgun we sold 3 years ago.. it would have been perfect..Soooooooo.. we take a step backwards and try that.. only to find that if the barrel were 2" longer and Wilkinson had worked the barrels..we'd be in the winners circle..

Ok.. we buy a new barrel and get it fitted.. Tom does the barrels and we are still exactly where we were a year before.. Wait.. there's a new gun out with a "special' rib.. NOW.. that's surely going to do it.. Well.. I'm getting closer..

By this time.. the shooters ability and dynamics have changed..so everything he thought he knew now applies to a shooter different than who he is today.. Restart process..

Now.. this process could be vastly shortened by a good coach..but who would want to do that?? A end to all those trap guns.. A end to play.. Just you and the target??? Naaaaaaaaa.. We already know everything.. what could we possibly learn from a coach??? Certainly not how to buy,sell and trade guns..

Now.. to our golden years.. first.. they suck..but it beats the alternatives..vision.. gone to hell.. constant joint pain..diminishing upper body strength.. Yep.. you guessed it.. need a lighter gun.. maybe shorter barrel..maybe higher rib.. Not all this s--t all over again??? And so it continues..

In the end..a barrel that shoots where you want it to.. The ability to get to and thru the target.. a trigger designed for your shooting style..and a stock that fits.. Put the lead on the target.. and it will break.. It's that easy.. Wait.. did I say easy????? I need to try just 1 more gun.. Guy's.. it's a sickness.. and we're all sick puppies.. Shoot well and often.. See you all at the GRAND next year.. All Good.. Mike

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

I do it because I am an unrepentant Gun-Whore (car-whore, knife-whore etc.)and my goal in life is to be able to say to Saint Pete when I get there. Been There, Done That, Owned That. Or if you prefer the psycho-babble "I have an illness and it's all somebody elses fault" ;o)

--- Chip King ---

9. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

(LOL), Guilty as charged. Been there, done most of all of the above. NO REGRETS.

I rarely ever lost money on a trap gun, field guns are a different story. Marc

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

'cause you can afford to and because you can....some of us can't and don't...

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have switched guns in an effort to buy good scores. It has never worked in the past but who knows about the future?

Pat Ireland

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The truth be spoken..

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Doug,
    If you learn to break them all with a flat shooting gun you will need to re-learn to shoot with a higher POI. It will NOT be easier at first.

And until you pattern your gun, do not assume it is shooting flat because it is a Sporting Clays gun. Life is never so simple.

My scores dropped dramatically when I went with a high rib gun. It had nothing to do with POI; as rib height does not affect POI. Just a change in sight picture can screw with our ability to hit targets.

If it was easy, a caveman could do it.

Don Verna

14. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Hi my name is Bob, and I'm a gunaholic ....

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Hi Bob.

Don

16. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Here is my question, why is it some say when you "get better" there is this need to buy a more expensive gun? Is a more expensive gun that much better of a tool which will result in better skills? If a Craftsman can remove a bolt why is there a need to buy a Snap-on?

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don---It sounds as if you know the routine. LOL

Matt

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

When I first bought my Ljutic it was a target cruncher from the get go....I've never patterned it....

19. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

Gary:

My old shooting buddy tells the same story you do, having shot trap for 40 years and doing well in State Shoots.But he always looked for a better gun.
    Two years ago he bought a CG unsingle and swears that it's the best gun he ever owned.I believed him and cut out all the costly experimenting by buying one too .Now I swear that it'll be my last trap gun.

Ned

20. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Gun trading is a bad virus with no cure,and i have it bad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.