1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why crawl the stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I see it especially with the Olympic format shooters.

Does having your head much closer to the receiver eliminate pointing errors?

Are they cocking their heads vertical or looking through the bottoms of their eyebrows?

What else about it is useful or disadvantageous?

Thanks !

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

In my opinion is a bad habit created from back when my gunstock didn't fit. I was young didn't have a proper coach and needed to crawl the stock to keep from lifting my head.

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Many Olympic shooters use a pretty flat rib. Plus they have to prepare themselves for a second shot.

I have done some experiments where I put my face forward on the stock until my nose touched my thumb. I was surprised that this was a pretty comfortable shooting position. Contrary to popular lore, my thumb did not crash into my nose. I don't know what I accomplished with this, but it was interesting...not a recommendation, just interesting that I could change my head position and not really affect my shooting much.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I feel much more in control and "one with the gun" with a shorter stock. The felt recoil seems less, too.

Ed

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I have generally noticed that Olympic shooters tend to have shorter stocks than most ATA guns that I see. They also have to swing a lot faster, which fits in with the shorter stock idea.

6. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

It's all about staying in the gun for the second shot.

Jeff Holguin

7. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

I was told that the further out the comb your head is, the more in control of the gun you are. It keeps you locked into the gun as you swing. If I remember to do it I feel that I hit more often and harder.

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Everybody knows that the best trap shooters don't even put their face on the stock.

[​IMG]

-Gary :p

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I shoot flat rib guns, and I have a normal neck. I position my cheek forward on the comb makes me feel more into the gun, the gun is more of an extension of my body.

I tried some high rib, high comb guns many times, I'm so far above the bore axle, I feel lost.

It's just me.

10. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Funny story about face on the stock. Roger Stinebring used to shoot Super Handicap #9 on the singles. He had run the first 100 and I ask him if he actually got his face on the gun and I don't believe he was sure. Said he thought about it on the first shot, which he missed, then ran 99 for 199. He as a nice fellow and I enjoyed watching him shoot. He helped his brother, Morris, run Orlando Gun Club.

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've got to see over my floaters.

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I had my gun fitted by Keith Heeg here in MI. He advocates getting your face as close to the receiver as possible, period. This was a bit of a change for me but has worked well. Bill

13. In Clay We Crush

In Clay We Crush TS Member

Are we talking just trap of any kind here? Or any type of clay shooting. I ask this because for me. A 15 1/8" LOP let's me comfortably keep the gun in my shoulder pocket without any extra effort. I am talking crossing shots here.

I always had a long LOP. And never thought about it being shorter for any reason. But this thread is interesting.
    Now my waterfowl guns are shorter than target guns because of clothing. But even when I shoot them with just a t shirt. There is always a "sweet spot" on any gun I own. And when I'm on that and stay in that spot. Very good things happen. And it is effortless too stay in my target only gun.

I guess if I always shot premounted which I don't like too do. It may make some sense. Yet an interesting thought none the less.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I shoot a 14"LOP and have for years and years I feel I have control on straight-a-ways and angles, too long a stock you will short shoot angles, meaning behind them. which results in misses.

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Why does a sprinter lean forward into the starting blocks.

16. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Not only they crawl on the stock, no elbow up either. i think straight neck and up elbow is an ATA thing.

17. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Stock fit is important. Different neck lengths and chest sizes make it impossible to give good advice. I believe its individual preference with it being more important to be able to look down the barrel like you drive a car. You dont drive looking through your eyebrows do u?

Steve W nice pics. Reaffirms what I was told by an All American at my club. He didnt care how high your trigger arm was as along as it matches the arm supporting the gun. A matching bipod effect is how I interpretted it .

18. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I have always "crawled" a stock. It most likely had something to do with stock fit I am sure. I am of somewhat slight build and have a long neck. I've lengthened stocks, but It just didn't work or feel right. After shooting 300 targets in a day,I'll have a bruise on the left side of my nose. If I don't, I'm not breaking targets consistently. Just the way it is and at my age it most likely isn't going to change. Do whatever floats your boat.

Steve

19. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I have a question for Jeff Holguin.I watched your ATA doubles tips video and it looks like your stock is long which goes against the theory that a short stock is needed to get into the gun.It looks like body position and stance have alot to do with the length of stock needed to get into the gun.It seems like you and the other army bunker shooters vary alot in the way you guys approach targets,just like all other trap shooters,so to each there own as far as what way to hit targets.If anybody has a chance to watch jeff and josh Richmond's trap shooting tips videos on youtube,I think they are good.

joe

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    After having C5, C6 & C7 fused I can't crawl a stock at all. Monte carlo stocks work well for me.