1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why certain clubs win your favor?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I think it's important to ask the question about why you don't go to certain clubs, but I also think it's important to ask the inverse question. Why do you keep going back to certain clubs?

My favorite clubs get me out there to shoot once I sign up. If I want to talk to the guys, I don't sign up. What's your reason?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Clubs that throw good targets, run by folks with people skills who have the motivation to keep the club clean and well serviced get my business. There are several clubs I have practically given up on in my area.

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I no longer have a 'home club', so: 'contactability', appearance & upkeep, friendliness, knowledgeable people, evidence of organization & planning and good targets matter.

In that vein, if you are ever on HiWay 59, south of Houston, the Victoria Skeet & Trap Club ( http://www.victoriaskeetandtrapclub.com/ ) is well worth a visit.

Bob

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Good maintenance of traps and voice calls.

Efficient squadding and events.

Efficient results reporting and shoot-off procedures.

Administration and staff that don't BLATANTLY show preferential treatment to a chosen few. (I realize that a little of this is going to happen, but sometimes a club really crosses the line).

Not infamous for its politics and backbiting.

The staff, members, and regulars are fun, friendly, and supportive of new shooters, women, kids, chair shooters, and the elderly...SOME of whom may require a little more help or guidance.

Sportsmen-like behavior is apparent in the way that they treat competitors.

Also, if it is a place to which people travel to shoot, having enough efficient camping sites with water and electric, and a bathhouse/showers that stay open for the shoot, is a factor.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Friendly professional employees, decent facilities and reasonable prices. Being able to control the drunks, dangerous shooters & trouble-makers is nice too, but I actually prefer that the patrons self-police.

-Gary

6. warren

warren Member

Good active management, friendly people not to much cronyism, clean grounds and facilities and location means a lot too.

warren

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I recently fell in love with shooting at Oxford GC (PA). I like the Thursday night trapshooting program. (1) practice trap that continually cycles either full or partial squads for practice the choice is yours, 2-3 traps run for a green bird/high gun meat shoots. Jackpot 50/50 shoot. There are alot of good shooters there which makes me shoot better. To me just an enjoyable place in a nice part of the country.

The staff persons are great people, friendly environment, supportive of new shooters (friend is recently a new shooter), grounds and pads well maintained, great targets, open kitchen with dinner platters, food is damn good and the gals working it are nice.

They shoot trap, skeet and 5-stand clays year round weekly. Scheduled registered targets, bigger meat shoots, and Sporting Clays program.

It's a haul for me to go shoot there but, I've commited myself to get there every 3rd week to shoot one program or another. The rest of the time I'll shoot closer to home. Some of the clubs more local to me should go there and find out what a decent shooting program is all about.

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Pie???

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Spanky, I agree with you on Oxford. We love shooting there because of all of the reasons that you stated. People travel from a long way to shoot there, because it's well worth the trip.

The pie ain't all bad, neither...

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Well set targets.

John C. Saubak

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with John, well set targets is most important. For me, the next consideration is travel time. I have a local club. The next closest club is 1.5 hours travel time. The others are between 2-4 hours driving time. I put a lot of miles on my car traveling to shoots.

Pat Ireland

12. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

I frequent clubs, shooting centers and ranges that don't take my patronage or membership for granted. Once I become an old shoe, I'm gone.

Bruce

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I am all for a laid back social family type atmosphere

14. eperry

eperry Member

No alcohol before shooting, and when you sign up you shoot, not stand around for 20 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.