1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't I use 1 of these on my trap gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hawk57, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Forget about your eye as a rear sight, mid beads, and fiber optic front beads. Just put one of these on your trap gun. Why not? Anyone ever try it?

[​IMG]

2. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Nydar sight, similar idea from the 1940's.

[​IMG]

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Why not? No reason, I've seen them on guns around the clubs, maybe 5 or 6 over the last couple of years....Bob Dodd

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Sure it will work! Weekend before last I tried a new Bushnell Holo-Sight on my Beretta 303. I had to raise the comb for good alignment with the centered reticle. The neoprene rubber sock and foam rubber inserts kept moving over on me, bad idea. We shot in blowing snow and no one shot like a house afire. I managed to shoot as well as any one else did with the gun they shoot all the time. Set up properly with a stationary comb, it wouldn't take too long to shoot good scores with it. Also, I broke birds as quick or quicker than those shooting with me too. Hap

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

How do these help you with a moving target, where you're not actually aiming at the target, but a point several feet ahead of the target?

7. Hap MecTweaks

Dick, it's similar to using a scoped rifle on a running silhouette target. The image of the reticle on the Holo looks as though it's out there with the target. Some say it's similar to the projected image a fighter pilot sees on his windshield when chasing another plane. What I see appears to be a lighted circle in front of the clay and it does work. I only shot 2 rounds from the 27 with mine and will try again when I can keep the comb in a more stable position. Hap

8. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

I shot next to a lady at the Grand last summer who was useing one.....Roger

9. Hazmat

Hazmat TS Member

Sounds interesting, or at least it presents a new gimmick that might make up for my inabilaty to shoot straight... has any one trid mounting on an O/U or bt-99?

10. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

I knew a man years ago at Spokane Gun Club who used a low power scope on a model 12. He did quite well with it.
    Sonny Daniels

11. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

This is what I need on my gun. As long as you kept the bird in the circle and followed through, it looks like you'd be certain to break the bird every time.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Colonel Reb, if you do that, your shot cloud will sail harmlessly off into the field behind the bird. Now, make that bird push the lit circle and your in business. Think of the lit up circle as your potential shot cloud when it arrives there?

I mounted mine on my Beretta 303 just to try it out to see for myself if it would work. It uses a Weaver style mount so it requires a Weaver style base on which to attach. Most people wouldn't want a permanent base attached to their trap gun, that's why I used my 303 and mounted mine to the rib. I used a Weaver base on the rib, screws and cross bars under the rib hold it pretty tight against the rib. I didn't notice any movement of the base or sight. I'll try getting a picture posted of it here later. Hap

13. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

What for?

The biggest problem that I have is looking at the darn sight anyway. I've often thought of removing my sight altogether.

IF…….

The gun fits. Your head stays on the gun. You’re looking at the target. You pull the trigger. The target will break, no need for a scope to disrupt the simplicity of breaking a target.

If you ask me, and you haven’t, I’d say it’s just another gimmick.

14. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

cdconley,

I couldn't dissagree more. I have to shoot left handed and am right eye dominate. the only way I can shoot with both eyes open is with some sort of red dot sight. Not only do I shoot the best trap that I've ever shot with it, it's great for awkward duck shooting. (you don't have to center the dot, just put it where the pattern is supposed to go)

15. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Hap...

Do you see what you have done....

16. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Seems to me that you can use it just like your normal front bead. Just focus on the bird and make sure the circle from the sight is out of focus but in front of the bird. Whats nice about these sights is that it doesn't matter if you move your head the circle follows and the aim point doesn't change, thus the gun mount is no longer as critical. If you watch any TV reports on Iraq, almost every soldier has one on their AR, they are designed for quick aiming on stationary or moving targets and even if you are moving at the same time.

TruGlo makes a 3/8's to Weaver rib mount if your interested for about $25.00 The scopes start at $40.00. so you can try it out for around $65.00

17. welderman

welderman TS Member

If it's not useful to a lot of shooters then it won't become popular and will be used by a few to correct individual problems. If it works really well for most shooters, then the ones who don't have it will get it banned for use in competition. That was my experience when I figured I could shoot pins better using a red dot sight on a 629. As soon as I started winning money, they outlawed optical sights and I couldn't readjust to my old iron sight. Tom S. (welderman)

18. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Never tried it, probably will sometime if a friend buys one and mounts it on his gun and lets me try it. Many reasons for my thoughts. One is the fact that I am holding a 96 average in singles which would probably improve if I were more careful about where and under what conditions I was shooting in. I can run 25 easily enough, but maintaining the concentration and discipline to hit lots of 99+ scores is something I have trouble with. Doubles - my average is at 91, and my problems are not from shooting 45, 45. It is from shooting 49, 42. In handicap, I still feel there is a star alignment thing that must happen. So I don't see how the gizmo is going to help me.

Now even if I believed it would help, I would not put holes in one of my guns to mount it.

19. Hap MecTweaks

In this photo, I have moved the Holo-Sight as far forward as the Weaver base allows. It was all the way to the rear when I shot the two rounds with it.

Reb, above I was referring to an extreme angle when I made my statement about shooting behind a bird, the straights, yes you can see the bird inside the lit circle.

This like anything else, "it ain't for everybody" and I certainly wouldn't drill and tap my P gun to try something such as this either. I tell you this though, there's no doubt in your mind exactly what kind of brain fart you just had using this thingie when the gun goes off!! The feedback is quick and leaves no doubt where you went wrong. Some like redheads, some, who knows or cares? I'm not thru experimenting yet while having fun. Hap

20. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Had a Tasco (sp) mounted on a Ljutic for several years after talking to a Winchester rep from Chicago who swore by his. It worked fine and was mounted with a clamp mount so required no drilled holes in the rib. I shot it OK but my average didn't improve - and it was awkward to carry the gun since I had to take the sight off to put the gun in a case.

A friend bought the sight, mounted it on an air pistol and nails squirrels with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.