1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can’t I shoot this combo?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MGeslock, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

I have an older Citori combo. I have checked both barrels (single and both top and bottom) for point of impact. All three tubes shoot in the same place. No difference up/down or right/left. I have adj comb and butt plate. It has been fitted to me.

I can take the O/U and smash targets from the 16 (top or bottom). If I put the top single in I completely miss. When I shoot the single, the target "should" just go away but no luck.

My preferred gun is a BT-99. I shoot that very well and have a lot of confidence in it.

The only idea would be the balance could be off.

I have resigned to putting the top single in the safe and not shooting it.

Any ideas or thoughts?

2. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

It's because you are related to Mike B.

3. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

You are killing me!! He couldn't stand to shoot a big boys gun! :)

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Have you compared the patterns to make sure that the single barrel is choked correctly. If so tape an 8 oz weight about midway out the single barrel and see if that helps. If you are one who swings fast to the target the lighter single barrel will go past the target faster between the brain saying shoot and the shot leaving the barrel the difference can be enough for a miss with a tight choked gun.
    --- Chip King ---

5. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Pattern are fine.

The single has a "weight" were the bottom barrel would be. It is not adjustable. I thought that the idea behind the combo was that they would balance the same.
    This is a 34 and my BT is a 32.

I have not discounted that the issue is between my ears!

6. smokeshow

smokeshow Member

I had one of these combos about 5 years ago and shot it very well. At the same time, I knew of three other guys that had the same combo sets and could not shoot the single barrel to save their life, I also struggled to shoot their single barrels also. I have sold mine since and the person I sold it to shoots it very well. I think it was all in the combo set.

7. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

IMO hinge action combos are the WORST gun designs ever made. You need to learn "two" or "three" differently shooting "guns" with a combo.

I made the mistake of shooting one about ten years ago. A 682-X combo (early model)for one season. My scores dropped like a rock. I struggled to hit high 80s in doubles with it, though I could pull of an occasional 98 using the bottom barrel only in singles. My handicap average went into the low 80s using the 34" top single bbl it came with. I would post a high 80 one day, and a low 70s the next. Resulted in a reduction from 26.5 to 25.5 which I refused because I knew the problem.

Luckily, I sold the gun for almost as much as I paid for it and went back to my 1100.

The result? I was card punched from 26.5 to 27 with a 96 within a month of switching back to the 1100; hit a 99 in doubles that same season, and racked up a 99 average in singles

I know many people will take umbrage to this - but to me a hinge action is a horrible gun, in my opinion but - Combos are the WORST.

I can tell you about two eastern shooters who have done extremely well with O/U only guns (no combo). One was David George of NY whose name was on the winner's board at many tri-state area shoots and the other is Dave Bicknell of CT, who has been a state champion, zone champion, etc. with his O/U Win. 101.

If you must shoot a hinge gun - get an O/U and RUN not walk away from but RUN away from any combo gun for sale.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You need to pass this info to Harlen, Kiner, Leo ,Ohay, Marshal, Stafford, Parr,Mcarthy, Kemper and many other All Americans that seem to shoot their combo's very well.

With work you can adjust poi.

9. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

It's mental.

Let someone else shoot the single barrel setup, someone who will shoot straights with it (you should find several of these guys at your favorite club/field/range), then give it back to you to shoot.
    Once you realize that it isn't the gun, you'll do just fine with it.

A combo is no different than shooting a BT99 for singles/caps and an XT for doubles.... or something similar.

If you still find that you can't shoot the single, sell that barrel and get on with your shooting.

10. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

Are you sure the point of impact is the same? I had one of those, and it looked the same looking down the barrel, but the top single shot over two feet lower than the O/U barrels. I bent the barrel and during the first twenty five targets I shot with it it straightened back out, ran the first fifteen or so targets and began missing as it went back to way Browning made it. Jim P

11. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

shannon 391, so be it. And for over 20 years, people have been telling me I should be shooting a hinge gun instead of my 1100. If the shooters you've named shoot combos well, that's great. Many of us, myself included, cannot.

12. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

The "feel" of the O/U is very different from a top single. You really might not realize it, but you have mentally and physically adjusted better to the weight and balance of the heavier barrel on the gun. Sell the top single and keep on trucking!

13. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

If POI is truly the same, then it sounds like your problem could be what Phil Kiner refers to as "bead checking" - focusing on the barrel instead of maintaining hard focus on the target. Could be that the extra couple of inches of barrel that is currently out front is distracting you and that is where your eyes are focused vs maintaining hard focus on the target.

14. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

I had same prolem with Sietz lock time was much faster . It shot same on paper as my Kriegoff but not moving targets bench shooting is one thing but moving targets LOcktime ! Maybe way off . Try raising POI to 5inchs higher at 30 yards
    on your top barrel see if this helps . Mx-15 shooter had same problem .

Pat Kelley

15. Trapdog1

Trapdog1 TS Member

I have had two of these guns. Still own one. Both barrel sets shot flat. Just try this – with the single barrel, raise the comb 1/8”. After making this adjustment, go to the line, call for a target DO NOT LOOK AT THE BARREL look at the target and pull the trigger. Target will smoke everytime if you are looking at the target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.