1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can I not shoot a ported gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have 2 870tc's both the same except one has a ported bbl. The one without the porting I hold a 97 avg. The other I do good to break 20-25, Both guns were made in 1989 3 months apart so they are alike except the porting. Does porting slow down the shot speed? or work on the pattern? Or is it just in my head? I've owned ported guns in the past and could'nt shoot them either

2. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Why one works and the other doesn't should get the conversation started.

I know several rifle shooters that can shoot a silenced 223 very well, but when shooting the any 223 without a silencer their shooting just goes to heck. the sound of the gun going off, bothers them to much.

A non ported barrel will have a diferrent sound then the ported one, that is where I will start this conversation ........

"something in how you react to the sound of the ported barrel effects your concentration or ability to stay focussed, so your shooting drops off"

AL

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

Sounds good...But wouldn't the shot be beyond the barrel before you could react to the sound? However,maybe the individual has developed a flinch do to the sound.Unconsciously flinching when they are shooting a ported gun
    .I would think,also,even though it would be miniscule,minute,and maybe unmeasurable,considering the action/reaction theory,the gun should be kicked,or forced to go the opposite direction of the ports.If you could hang the guns on string or rubber strands,fire a unported,then a ported,gun reaction should be different.Maybe to most,not enough to effect the hitting of a target,but,,maybe to some it is.

Oh,I learned on a ported gun,and shoot one

Doug H.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The porting has nothing to do with the way the gun/barrel shoots. Every barrel is different. Once you find a barrel that shoots where you look, has the correct poi for you, never let it go.

I know numerous shooters that once they find the correct barrel, they always keep it, even if they wear out the receiver on their gun.

Don't make this sport harder than it is.
    Steve Balistreri

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

The answer to this question is measured in inches. The distance in inches between your ears. I think you have convinced yourself that the ported barrel is inferior. I suggest switching barrels on the guns to see if it matters. It might be a difference in comb height or gun fit.

6. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Have someone else shoot both guns. If there's no perceptible difference in the scores, then it's you. If there's a differnce, it's the gun.

I saw a new Remington (I think) camo duck gun out at the range...guy with it couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside. The barrel, NIB was almost 1/4 inch out of true to the right, so it might be a mechanical problem.

As another experiment, swap barrels, and see if the problem follows the barrel, or the action.

You can always use it for "hustling" people...use the ported gun for your "warm up" take the bet, then switch!

;-)

7. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

No 2 guns shoot identically! Try tho other barrel on the other action. Metal is a funny thing the molecular makeup changes with length or even holes changed to a given piece.
    It may not be you it could be all in your head too. Its all part of the game.

Jerry

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Maybe the non-ported one has been "cryo'ed". ;-)

How do the two guns pattern for you?

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

If you have a 97 average then you have already checked to see if they both shoot to the same POI. right? We already know you haven't checked the pattern.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

There may be a little difference in the trigger pull. Other than that it is more than likely in the mind.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I'm still offering a TS.com discount for methane treatment of barrels. Three day turnaround, guaranteed to have identical accuracy benefits as cryogenic treatment for shotgun barrels.

Gary

Precision Methane Solutions, Inc.

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Put your ported gun in the safe or find it a new home.

Whatever the reason, it's not worth the frustration.

Regards....Gerald

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Many good possibilities noted above, but I'm like you and I don't like shooting next to one either so that may be why I don't want (like) to shoot one-- surely don't want to bother fellow shooters. Ross Puls

14. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Ok, switched bbls on the 2 870's and put my 97 avg bbl on the gun that is normally ported. Shot 1 round with it and shot a 24. Now I should mention I put the ported bbl on my 97 avg gun and shot 1 round also a 24 so it must be mental but I just think there is a difference in the 2 bbls. I would get rid of the ported bbl maybe in a trade but not the gun it has beautiful wood and looks like it has never been fired even though it has some. Thanks everyone

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Pattern your shotguns for God's sake, so you KNOW where they shoot.

Trapshooting 101.

-Gary

16. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Yeah...it's definitely the molecular makeup of the barrels. That's the ticket.

I for sure don't think it could be a subconscious flinch developed from increased blast and an explosion erupting upward 20 inches from your eyes. Nah...

17. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have patterened the guns I don't have a 97 avg by luck, The gun shoots fine. My question is does porting slow down the shot speed?

18. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The only thing porting slows down is the resale.

-Gary

20. quartering

quartering Active Member

men don't shoot ported guns: ladies and children do

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.