1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why buy a gun safe ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I'm not a collector. I'm a trap shooter. Why buy a gun safe if you're insured?---Phil

2. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

well while not everyone is forced to endure the laws of the semi-great state of California, but in our case, it is kinda the law. If someone that shouldn't (like a minor) gets hold of your guns and you did not have them locked up, you are liable for what they do with them.
    Also just seems like the right thing to do.
    d

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

A decent gun safe bolted down, keeps the lazy thief from walking off with your guns. Yes its true if they really want them they will get them. Make them work for it.

4. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Because it is better not to have your guns stolen in the first place.
    For one thing, I spent a lot of time and effort getting my guns fitted to me and I don't want to do that again.
    For another, I am sentimental about my guns.
    For a third, it lessens my liability if somebody later uses the gun in a crime - I was not "negligent" in allowing my guns to be used by teenagers.

My car is insured, yet I drive carefully anyway.

5. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Hmm! Let's see, has the term "insurability" ever crossed your mind. Do nothing to protect your guns and then try and get coverage for your new guns. Assuming that you have no deductible on your covered guns (rare case) you'll still have to convince an underwriter to give you coverage after you've had a loss. You do understand why insurance companies check your loss record before insuring you don't you? The reason you have a safe is so that you stand less of a chance of having your guns and other valuables stolen in a burglary. Try getting coverage without a safe or without taking other action after your first loss. Do you really want to put yourself in that position? Then there is the valuation of your guns, sure even if you have coverage, you don’t think that you’ll have a battle on the valuation at the time of loss? Next you might ask why take the keys out of your truck at night, after all it is insured, so why bother with bringing the keys in every night.

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lets see , 10 percent of value to insure means every 10 years I give them away? Safe for me. Jeff

7. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Bolted it to the floor and have about 300 pounds of shot in the botton, with guns, it weighs 1100-1200 pounds. If someone is carrying it out the front door, I am going to hold the door for him. I keep jewelry, important papers, a little extra cash and firearms in mine.

Get a good one.

Mike

8. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

300 pounds of shot? That's worth more than the guns today :)

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

From the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts General laws

Chapter 140: Section 131L. Weapons stored or kept by owner; inoperable by any person other than owner or lawfully authorized user; punishment

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

(b) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a firearm, rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon, by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000 or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and in the case of a large capacity weapon or machine gun, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(c) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon and such weapon was stored or kept in a place where a person under the age of 18 who does not possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B may have access without committing an unforeseeable trespass, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(d) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a rifle or shotgun that is a large capacity weapon, firearm or machine gun was stored or kept in a place where a person under the age of 18 may have access, without committing an unforeseeable trespass, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years, nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(e) A violation of the provisions of this section shall be evidence of wanton or reckless conduct in any criminal or civil proceeding if a person under the age of 18 who was not a trespasser or was a foreseeable trespasser acquired access to a weapon, unless such person possessed a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B and was permitted by law to possess such weapon, and such access results in the personal injury to or the death of any person.

(f) This section shall not apply to the storage or keeping of any firearm, rifle or shotgun with matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system manufactured in or prior to the year 1899, or to any replica of any such firearm, rifle or shotgun if such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    So....did Romney have anything to do with that insanity?

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

So when the 15 year old neighbor boy breaks into your house on Christmas Eve while you are out of town and steals your vehicle from your garage and totals it at 2:00 AM the guns are not in the back of the SUV!!!

Been there. Guns were undisturbed in Browning gun safe.

Jim Skeel

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Firearms identification card..................

Only free people can own weapons.

HM

13. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Soon after I began aquiring guns, my Dad told me that I needed a gun safe more than any new guns. Gone are the days when you can keep your guns, some of which are truly works of Art, in a glass front cabinet in your living room. Sad, but true.

Even where it isn't legally required to keep firearms in a safe, it is common sense.

14. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

When I had my gun shop, you can't imagin the battles I had with insurance companies over gun theft from my customers. They would claim the customer was careless in storage or that the estimate of value was to high, anything to get out of paying a fair replacement cost. This convinced me to reccomment to my customers to have their firearms securly stored, serial numbers noted, picture of firearm if possible and an agreement with the insurance company of their value. It always seemed strange to me that they would take a customers estimate of a piece of jewlery but not a firearm.
    Dan

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am glad I live where I do.

16. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

thieves serve no purpose in this wotld.

17. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I had afriend yearsgo that believed in having burglar bait. that is a cheap wall hanager over the fireplace maybe something else in the corner here and there.Of course nothing sentimental or even approaching collectible. His thought of course the burglars would grab the things in sight and not look for the good stuff which of course was locked up in the gun safes.He disabled the burglar bait items also. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Bill

18. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

A good safe or other theft deterrent system is simply part of the responsibility of firearm ownership.

I’ve often wondered where thieves go to sell a dedicated/modified target shotgun. It’s not like the South Side gang bangers are looking for a combo with a RAD II, adjustable comb, and release trigger. So where do these guns go?

19. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Mexico
    Dan

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Look up the legal term, "vicarious liability". This means you are civilly, if not criminally liable for the actions of others.

A gun safe minimizes this liability, and for me, gives peace of mind if I am out of town doing a training class for a week or more. My insurance carrier wanted to know if I had a gun safe. I don't know that I would have gotten coverage if I had not had one.

A good security system with a wireless backup is also essential if your assets are worth more than a dollar. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.