1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why bunker(Olympic) trap is not popular?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ansvel, Jun 8, 2013.

1. ansvel

ansvel Member

I’m wondering, because of shooting cost or because it’s is more difficult?
    No offence, but for me American trap is boring compare to Olympic, where 100% achievement is almost impossible.

2. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Expense

Three trap machines per station

3. hose 'em down

hose 'em down Active Member

Missoula Tap and Skeet club has a regular 15 machine Olympic bunker. Give it a try...

Ernie .....in AZ

4. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shot a round of Bunker at Ft. Benning MTU about two weeks ago. Very difficult angles from station 1&5 - and they are going FAST. It would be fun to shoot, maybe even compete, but locations are limited. After watching the
    Army guys shoot, most of us would have a very long way to go before being competitive.

Eric

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Expense is a little higher than ATA, assuming a Bunker field is nearby. I am fortunate to have one less than 15 miles from my front door.

Bunker is considered the "King of Clay Target Sports" for a reason. It is arguably the hardest Clay Target sport.

It is my favorite game. I like all the other clay target sports as well, and will not forsake Skeet, Sporting, and ATA trap to exclusively shoot Bunker.

One must be in good shape to shoot this game well. Youth helps too. LOL

6. skeezix

skeezix Member

The machines at Missoula actually belonged to Jim Clawson. So it isn't really under the control of whoever happens to be running the cash register on Sundays. With Jim's passing, I'm not sure what exactly is going to happen with the schedule. If you want to shoot the bunker at MTSC, you'd have to check with Gene as to when it would be open for practice.

7. cafowler

cafowler Member

Bunkers are expensive to put in, the cost of the trap house itself, they're huge, the all the machines. Figure a cheap thrower is about $2-3k x 15 ea. The computer controller and voice calls are the cheap part of the whole deal. I belive they are close to $80k to get up and running with all the structure/grading/concrete work and machines. Those guys like to shoot all year round, so you have to build a cover to allow winter shooting also. There just aren't a lot of folks who shoot it, so the time to recover just the install costs are years, unless someone makes a generous grant to get the field installed to start.

We are lucky in the Nor Cal, there is one at Martinez & Livermore GC, then not to far away is Coon Crk with 1. Lots of Jr Olympians there. We had 2 olympic coaches living in the area, one moved, so only 1 left. But they are always more than willing to help new bunker shooters out on their sport.

It is a challenging sport. Most trap shooters complain too much to ever have the discipline to shoot bunker also......

8. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

For the same reason many prefer to shoot regular trap compared to wobble.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Cost to install, cost to run, and cost to shoot (two shots per bird). Who mostly shoots bunker in America, Kids! Who pays for there shooting? Daddy/Mommy. When they quit paying, the kid in 95% of the cases quits shooting.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

American Trap guys would have a conniption over having to use 7/8oz loads and targets thrown at 60+ mph...

Jay

11. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

The same reason NRA Silhouette is not popular. It is far too difficult to attract new shooters. New shooters are quickly discouraged.

jim brown

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

With clubs fighting for survival as it is, there are not many who can put up the cash for just one field.

After a large outlay, and most likely an underutilized facility once the newness wears off, you have a loss on your hands.

It's called ROI, and for most clubs bunker would be negative.

HM

13. smoke-eater

smoke-eater Member

There are two fields in Ohio that I know of. One is at Cardinal center where the Ohio satae shoot is, the other is at a club in the Cincinnati area.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I tried to get the OSTA to use the Bunker trap for the Challenge Match against those Braggards that jump on me every chance they get, But I added a little more challenge from a longer yardage and 50 targets this would be a crowd pleaser and not a boring 10 bird event which is not a crowd holding event.

I wanted to put some excitement in the Challenge.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...no place to shoot it?

16. hose 'em down

hose 'em down Active Member

R. Chapman.....as Skeezix suggests, Gene Clawson in Missoula would be the go to guy to get info as to when the bunker would be open. Jim Clawson was the bunker guru guy there and since he's passed, we can only hope someone will step up to fill his shoes. John Hamp would be another contact name if he is still involved. I left Missoula 10+ years ago with some bunker successes and many great memories.

Note to AZ shooters and visitors: we have a serious wobble trap, with international birds being thrown, at Rio Salado Sportsman club in N. Mesa. Rio has a website, Jim Rasmussen is the go to guy there. And Ben Avery Shooting range in north Phoenix has a covered regulation bunker and they have a website as well for more info. Many shooters say the Rio wobble trap is tougher than bunker. Also, Tucson Trap and Skeet now yhas 4-5 bunkers, they have a website as well. Give them all a try, it's a hoot.

Ernie....in AZ.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

ansvel,

"I’m wondering, because of shooting cost or because it’s is more difficult? No offence, but for me American trap is boring compare to Olympic, where 100% achievement is almost impossible."

If you are that good that American trap bores you, you should go to the bigger shoots and play all of the money ... I bet you won't be bored for very long when some sub junior walks up and kicks the living snot out of you besides takes your money ... Just a thought ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Bunker ranges are much more expesive to install and maintain. It takes 15 machines which increases cost and takes up more room than a conventional trap field. It also takes two certified flanking score keepers in competition. also 24 gram loads are required now, which few companies make and almost nobody reloads.7/8 oz. loads are close,but still too heavy IF your loads are weighed in a national competition. There are more Bunkers than in the past,but, they are still few and far between compared to american trap ranges. Also the more you shoot at one disipline,the less you can shoot at another. Years ago my wife and I shot bunker,but, had to drive across 2 states to FT. Benning to do so. The cost involved was simply too great. When I was in the Air Force, I shot both skeet and trap in competition, but, after I retired I gave up skeet because of COST. With todays shrinking ecomony,most clubs are struggling to just "SURVIVE" these days! Trap has been a shooting sport for the working class as oppossed to other sports. Trapshooters are as a general rule, not financially independent, and for the most part live on fixed income. Also Bunker is a game with fast unpredictable targets and lends itself to lightning reflexes i. e. THE YOUNG! Most of us trap shooters are riding with the "over the hill" gang now. In short it takes availability, money,time, lots of practice,reflexes,and YOUTH! All of which most have little or none of these days!

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

cafowler.... There is also a little known full bunker trap located at the Humboldt Trap & Skeet Club, in McKinleyville, Ca. The club is just 5 minutes from the Eureka/Arcata Airport in the far Northern part of California. Excellent facility run by some very friendly folks. They also offer 5 stand, skeet, and trap..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

As one that was involved with bunker shooting more than 10 years in USA this what I can tell you:

1)Is not a recreational discipline!!
    2)It is impossible to succeed without a bunker coach, not an ATA instructor!
    3)Requires practice discipline, financial resources, time.
    4)Requires to shoot a lot of tournaments
    5)At a certain point requires a sponsor when the expenses are high.

What chances somebody have to succeed:

First have a bunker close enough and opened all the time to train.

Second,financial resources,to keep up until you have the chance to be selected by USA shooting or the Army!

Third, the most important thing is to hire a real bunker coach who knows his craft to put you on the right path.

WITHOUT A COACH, THERE IS NO PERFORMANCE IN BUNKER SHOOTING EVEN IF YOU ARE THE GREATEST TALENT IN THE WORLD!

Why, b/c the chances to develop bad habits are 100% possible and once you got bad habits, even if you shoot a factory of shells will not take you out from that!

The coach is the most important factor if you think seriously about bunker!

Before you build a bunker ask yourself, who will teach it in a regular basis!

You will understand the importance of the coach if I tell you that, unfortunately, the USA did not have a bunker shooter( man) at the last London Olympics and the last US Olympic bunker gold medal,men cat. was won in 1976 in Montreal!!
    Please don't understand me wrong I emphasized the US bunker situation to understand the importance of the coach in this process!

I don't have to tell you that the USA is flooded with exceptional talents but is not enough and the results are there regarding bunker shooting.

The good news is that the bunkers in 10 yeas tripled. The demand for something "challenging" is there but not for long once you face the reality!

As a bunker coach, anyone saying that the ATA handicap trap is easy, that means he never shot it in his life.!
    The only difference between bunker and ATA Handicap trap is that the first one
    is in the Olympics and the other one is not!
    The desire to shoot in Olympics makes the bunker to be more " popular" among the youngsters but in fact can be a trap if you don't know the outcome!

So, anyone building a bunker,must understand that will not be profitable unless is somebody to teach it constantly otherwise will be like a school without teachers and worst, without students!

Search tags for this page
bunker trap anthony matarese

bunker trap locations

how boring is trap shooting
moving from ata trap to the bunker

moving from ata trap to the bunker part 2

olympic trap cost
shoes for bunker trap shooting

why olympic trap shooting is good