1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Big Dogs Shoot Good...Worry Free

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

First of all, I am not a Big Dog(BD), I am an Old Dog(OD) and this is just my theory why BD's shoot better than the majority of trapshooters. Here are a couple of my ideas why, if you know any others, you may add to this discussion.

1. The BDs are not thinking about THE next trapgun which will raise their scores. Their scores are near perfect and most have been shooting the same gun since Moses was a baby!

2. They KNOW it is not the gun, or shells, nor the Hiviz Sight you have been wanting to install on your gun because Bubba has one on his!

3. They know EXACTLY where all the good places in town to eat at every trap club in the country.

4. They know how to RELAX between rounds of shooting, they go to their air conditioned motor homes. They do not watch shooters while sitting on a park bench who have terrible form and missing too many targets!

5. Most have a WELL WORN deck of cards to use in games with friends that take their minds miles away from the total concentration they must have while on the line!

6. They have total CONFIDENCE in their skill of breaking every target they call for....because they have done so many times and for many years.

7. Most have their FAMILIES with them, who support and encourage them in their sport. They are traveling and experiencing very exciting times in their lives together!

I like seeing BDs at the shoots I go to as I know this has to be a good place to shoot. Their scores are something to gauge your scores to and it would be bad to be beaten badly by some unknown! biff

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If I had everything paid for like they do I to would be more relaxed and shooting better.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They have different worries like defending their AA points, making the next shoot bettween clinics, Where and when they can get those much needed repairs on the RV and Truck. Did the grass get cut back home? is the roof still leaking?Is grandma Taking her meds? Why do the inlaws have weddings and funerals during the shooting season?

If They don't hit a paying handicap soon the checks might bounce. How come no one in MI. is playing the options? How did the Airline lose my gun again? Will I have a pension when I'm to old to win?
    Does this shirt make me look Fat?
    I'm sure after 20 years on the road, travel gets to be like a J.O.B.

I'm sure it's not all a bed of roses.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Auctioneer.. I don't know where you get the idea the "Big Dogs" have all their expenses paid. That's simply not true. I know several, and they all work for a living. Yes, they make some money from options, purses, and such, but it hardly supports their habit. Yes, some are subsidized and get a major break on their shells, but, most do not get them for free, as is the common belief.

As for shooting better than we do, the answer is very simple. They consistantly shoot more targets than we do. And, all their targets are in registered competition, not practice, so their concentration is at a much higher plane than ours. They also have the opportunity to mount their guns probably 10 times more than we do. When you are shooting 1200 registered targets per week, week in and week out, as a big dog, you get VERY intimate with your gun. Most of us are lucky to get in 400 targets in a month of practicing, so the big dogs are shouldering their guns at least 3 times as many time as we do.

The success of Terry Jordans wall chart is based on this very theory. If you dry fire at the chart every night about 100 times, you become more intimate with your gun and how it feels to you. Your gun mount becomes second nature and something you don't even think about since you are doing it daily. Two things define success with the big dogs: Repetition and confidence in their ability to produce good scores.

If you want to maintain the level of scoring the big dogs do, you must make the sacrifice or just continue where you are... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

I'm one of those guys who is lucky to get in 400 targets in a month of practicing. I picked up this HOBBY late in life so being a BG is not in the cards.

BTW people it is a Hobby just like Golf and a very very very small % get to BG level. The rest are just hobbyist.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

shannon391, I think you are pretty close. I would guess most of em are one step from the poor house.

8. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

They shoot good because they shoot A LOT and have learned to be calm and confident no matter what the situation; the key to better scores is not new gadgets and guns it is to shoot as much as you possibly can

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

JerryP,

You are a big dog!

10. rick979

rick979 Active Member

You need to add a more things to the equation. Being born with good hand/eye coordination, good to exceptional eyesight, superior reflexes,etc. In other words some of it is "in the genes". Most people could shoot 1,000 targets a week and never be great at the sport. Some have it...the rest just wish they did.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You can practice missing with bad form until you become almost perfect at it.

It is not a game of volume, but a game of perfection.{ I'm not worthy of this advice, but this is what my coach tells me}.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The BD's have greater talent.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

In High School, some students make very high grades in difficult subjects. It is not that these students are smarter than others, but they work harder, stay focused and making a high grade is very important to them. The same is true for trapshooting. Almost all of us could have made an A in High School Physics and carry a high singles average if we are simply willing to pay the price.

Pat Ireland

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Auctioneer: Are you jealous or just slow?? I wonder whose checkbook Leo was using the other day when he paid his entry in front of me??

If you had a shooting product who would you want using it in a major venue?? A Big Dog in the winners circle or a D class shooter watching. It is called endorsements. Shoot better and you can get them.

Don

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

As always you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Good morning to you to. Do you ever have a good or you just an old grump all day? As I said they get things free.

16. Annie Get Your Gun

Annie Get Your Gun Member

Ireland has it right. If you really knew these ALL AMERICANS, you would know just how much time and effort they constantly apply to their trade.

17. Annie Get Your Gun

Annie Get Your Gun Member

It goes for the girls as well, their dedication and perserverance makes them an
    ALL AMERICAN.

18. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

C'mon Annie, Pat's got it right?? WOW!! I struggle trying to assimilate the POI with the POA, and I'm expected to get an A in physics?? Not a prayer, that's why I became a cement head. (LOL) Shoot often while we can, Bob

19. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Six months ago, Leo and I were blessed with our first granddaughter. We have now been away from home for almost one third of her life so that Leo can shoot and hold clinics. I have missed her first words (MaMaMaMa) and missed seeing her sitting up all by herself. I've missed her learning to wave bye-bye and shake her head "NO". Our working/shooting life involves alot of travel and time away from our family. That's a big price to pay, but the choice we made.

20. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I agree with Mr. Ireland and believe it is a combination of talent and hard work. I think it is possible to sometimes make up for lack of natural skills by working harder but many shooters are unable (financial restraints, job and/or other life responsibilties, etc.) or unwilling (not willing to make necessary sacrifices or just not interested in putting that degree of effort into a hobby, etc.) to devote what it takes to shoot at that level.

I tip my hat to all of the ladies and gentlemen that are All Americans and their families.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.